Bravia HX750 successor - W802A

In which case W802A peak brightness level is truly pathetic.

It does look low but i am not sure if they had the power saving option enabled,since that would limit the brightness even if you put the backlight setting at max.

This websites reviewing methods are rather horrible, i mean this is how they test the black level in lcds and their calibrated settings is like below
"the main figure that we quote is for the black level at our calibrated settings, with the backlight on maximum for LCDs

I have no idea how they watch lcd with backlight set to max,one will have to wear sunglasses.

LCDs can go to as much as 400+ cd/m2 if they need to be,so the F8500 can only dream about such brightness.

400+ is pretty unless you are going to watch television outdoors on a beach in bright day light.Also when an LCD is set to display 400+ its black levels will be so pathetic that anyone who likes decent picture will not touch that television with a barge pole.

F8500 has greats blacks while retaining amazing whites which i guess no LCD's can even day dream about.

If I may say so (once again), white levels are less (much less) important than black levels.

Actually white levels are important as much as or even more than black levels depending upon viewing conditions, white becomes less important if you watch television from in a really dark room with no reflection.

Also white levels is very important to display proper white color.

An ideal display has to show really amazing blacks even while displaying peak whites to have great picture dynamics, OLED's retain their blacks no matter what the brightness level so their picture is the most dynamic and that is how the real potential of any display can be measured.But since LCD's are the most handicap in this department usually calibrators try and reduce the back lighting to obtain decent blacks which is again a compromise as LCD's cannot display anything close to decent blacks when displaying their peak white so they are not dynamic.

Last edited:
Yes. Whites are very important.
But in my opinion deeper blacks will enhance the impression of the other colours and contrasts. A tv with good contrast can definitely show better colours on a white background.
In such a case where pure white scenes are rare , what could be the use of bright whites?
One instance is snow flakes. In such a case if the contrast between the surroundings like sky is explicit then the snow will definitely look realistic.
Very bright white snow with poor contrasts with the surroundings looks yuck.

400+ is pretty unless you are going to watch television outdoors on a beach in bright day light.Also when an LCD is set to display 400+ its black levels will be so pathetic that anyone who likes decent picture will not touch that television with a barge pole.

F8500 has greats blacks while retaining amazing whites which i guess no LCD's can even day dream about.
Which is why i said one needs sunglasses to watch,if one is watching it in a dark room.No wonder television info black numbers for lcd look pathetic ,they measure black levels with backlight set to max.

But in daytime afternoon when there is plenty of sunlight in the living room,the lcd brightness does come in handy whether its going to utilize the 400+ cd/m2 of brightness depends on viewing condition.

F8500 may have better blacks on pixel level in a dark environment but in rooms with daytime ambient light like mine ,even a IPS lcd will be safe in showing better perceived blacks.

But since LCD's are the most handicap in this department usually calibrators try and reduce the back lighting to obtain decent blacks which is again a compromise as LCD's cannot display anything close to decent blacks when displaying their peak white so they are not dynamic.

Most or majority of the calibrators and review sites reduce the backlight to acceptable levels(except televisioninfo.com).

Full array local dimming tvs starting and possibly ending with the HX950 not only dim the backlight but can also go to full brightness in areas where they are not dimming .Earlier models like HX900/920 and afaik other brands only dimmed.
So with this new mode available in the HX950 ,televisioninfo got a record contrast figure thanks to the new Peak white mode and their reviewing method the Sony HX950 got a contrast figure of 20208:1 which is the highest that site has recorded surpassing the VT60 and F8500 and matching the blacks of the F8500
Local dimming tvs not perfect but it did get a very high objective score.

If I may say so (once again), white levels are less (much less) important than black levels.

Yes. Whites are very important.
But in my opinion deeper blacks will enhance the impression of the other colors and contrasts. A tv with good contrast can definitely show better colors on a white background.
In such a case where pure white scenes are rare , what could be the use of bright whites?
One instance is snow flakes. In such a case if the contrast between the surroundings like sky is explicit then the snow will definitely look realistic.
Very bright white snow with poor contrasts with the surroundings looks yuck.
Having better black is better then better whites ,thats fine as long as one watches in a dark environment.

If the tv has poor brightness all colors will look muted.

Just for the record if i had a choice between the panasonic Z60/VT60 and the F8500 i would gladly go with the F8500,the higher brightness of the samsung outweigh the deep blacks of the panasonic.

The whites matter in plasma because they dim their screen depending on the APL and that picture doesn't need to be always contain a white color for the plasma to start dimming.

If you have a bright whites ,you can't notice those deep blacks since your pupils will contract and we can't resolve or see those deep blacks.This why local dimming tv like the HX950 dims the areas where it needs to dim and boosts the brightness of non dimmed zone, so that the perceived contrast will be higher and even if there are halos visible in tvs with local dimming for the most part you won't notice them due to peak whites which causes are pupils to contract.

Any way this is a thread for the W802 and lets keep it that way . Pretty much every thread that has a title name which includes Sony always becomes a VS thread and everyone knows who makes that into a versus thread . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will advise Plasma fanboys to go back under their IR coated bridge, nobody is posting about image burn-in, dithering, judder, DSE in your beloved plasma thread, they why do you guys come and troll here.

Just... why do you even bother to reply? It is a waste of your time. Some guys just get a high posting senseless stuff irrespective of plasma or LCD. It's better to leave them on their own. They don't deserve your attention.

Finally got the opportunity to look at 47w800A at reliance digital today evening.
Phew. Excellant set. The price quoted was 99k.

Amazing PQ.
First I tried national geographic hd. Beautiful and sumptuous colors. A decent and honest presentation even though the feed of d2h was little poor.
I asked the sales guy to put a bd.
He played "Avengers" bd clip on the s490 bdp.
The scene where the giant lizard like steel monster meets the avengers in the heart of the city, was played.

I just stood there mesmerised at the details, colours, smooth motion and contrasts of the picture. It was extremely involving. I kept praising the display and the s490 bdp.

One thing which took me by surprise are the details. When the huge steel monster falls of to ground I could see each of the individual small iron plates of it so clearly.
I checked for the clarity of the windows of the far off buildings in the same scene for any artifacts. They were razor sharp and well defined.

As my eyes are used to plasma, I can easily spot bright and artificial picture.
But here I stood there enjoying myself.

I should say that this set stole my heart.
Unfortunately I could not test any dark scene. I will do that next time.

Good job Sony!!!

my question is how much will u rate a similar priced LG tv and 802a?

Exactly. Are the 2013 models of L.G are even out there in the shops?

LG 55LA6910 2013 Smart LED TV Review, Price, Specifications - Tech2

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/LG-47-55-LA790-LA790V-3D-LED-Television-Review_527/Review.html

LG.jpg

sony.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your impressions Dirac, it seems W800 really is a worthy successor to HX750 and improves upon HX750's PQ significantly. :)

I remember that there was much discussion on the forum earlier regarding ips panels and possible picture degradation . But I could not see anything on 802a. I feel it was all exaggerated.

Pls don't compare IPS tv with S-PVA tv..try to compare tv with same type of panel.

Weren't you doing the same thing before Sony started to use IPS panels? comparing LCD's to LCD's without bothering what the panel actually was.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back