Bravia HX850 successor -W900A with Quantum Dot !

So 4K at room friendly sizes are reasonably priced for their first iteration. That's nice. I would still wish for a full array for the best of both worlds. That would significantly push up prices.

Well. I don't want to spew superlatives.
All I can say is that it is an excellent display. It is a tad low on brightness even with eco off but am sure at home it will do just fine.

He liked the Samsung F7500 but not the styling. He liked the F8000 but at a price 10K more than W950 it did not make sense.

I am happy for him. More importantly he picked as per his liking and budget.

I'll be going to his place next week for a full movie watch. Excited.

I think not many would pick samsung 8 series over sony w950a especially when its priced at staggering 1.46 lacs

Sony is making the right moves to take on Samsung. LG has been left behind in the mid-high end display market.
Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp and others are not even competing.

Kudos to Sony.

Sony is making the right moves to take on Samsung. LG has been left behind in the mid-high end display market.
Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp and others are not even competing.

Kudos to Sony.

That is the right spirit. Shame on others, especially Panasonic, who is thinking of quitting the TV business.

As you must be aware, for Sony, India is the 3rd largest market after US & China. It has contributed more than 8000Cr last year to their revenue. They have already expressed that they want to be more aggressive in India strategy, specially considering that they have huge premium attached to their brand here. Which is evident from the latest pricing strategy in Indain market, which is now significantly lower than the equivalent range of Samy & LG (& even Pana) while giving the best of the technology.

Anybody seen/ used the new 55w950a model from sony ? I ve heard its a step up from the old hx850. In the market for a 55 inch LED and deciding between these two. Any suggestions people ? thanks

There is a widespread observation by the review houses that w950 may not beat hx850 in deep blacks.
But the observations by the members seem to be very very good. It seems most of them are blown away at the PQ of w950.
I think you can close your eyes and go for w950.

Anybody seen/ used the new 55w950a model from sony ? I ve heard its a step up from the old hx850. In the market for a 55 inch LED and deciding between these two. Any suggestions people ? thanks

W950 is better than HX850. The former has excellent native blacks. For this reason the local dimming is rendered less effective. The colors are less blue or cool on W950. W950 light output looks subdued though shouldn't be a problem at home.

HX850 is available at discounted prices, so go for it if still sold. Else W950.

I presume budget is no constraint.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply people . I guess 950 it is then. On a different note , any other 55/60 inch tv that requires serious though in your view apart from these two ? I am okay with plasma too but a bad image burn on my panasonic has made me weary about them.

@ shaiju - Any idea how much is the going rate for an hx850 these days. last i got a quote of about 179k.

Last edited:
W950 is better than HX850. The former has excellent native blacks. For this reason the local dimming is rendered less effective. The color are less blue or cool on W950. W950 light output looks subdued though shouldn't be a problem at home.

HX850 is available at discounted prices, so go for it if still sold. Else W950.

I presume budget is no constraint.

Can there be native blacks for an led tv? I think they have to necessarily rely on local dimming, unlike a plasma. I am not sure whether triluminos can contribute to deeper blacks. It can only enhance the color palette.
Anyways some review houses don't appreciate the shallow black levels of w900. I don't know about w950. Thinking it should be same.

Oh I thought HX850 is the best LED till I saw 55W950, 2days back. It blew me away. If you are looking for a best 55" LED, and you can afford the huge price tag, then look no further.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back