Bug Head Player

I am still searching for old 6.49 :).

6.49 and 6.50 are resource hogs. I'm using 6.50 to test my computer. As mentioned earlier, I've been trying various tweaks made by Keith, and as of the latest tweaks done last night, I'm able to run version 6.50 with nearly zero stutter. Earlier, before any tweaks was done, it just couldn't play and stuttered continuously. I'm referring to x4 upsampling with 1x Stardust mode before the tweaks. Now it runs with even 2x Stardust mode.

I never tried 6.49. 6.50 is good but I feel 6.56 is way better.

Rajiv: I'll put 6.56 on a file sharing site. Please PM me your email ID as that's needed to share link.

Why don't you guys copy versions that you like in different folders? The installations are portable so multiple versions can coexist. I tried that some versions ago and everything worked fine.

6.56 is not working on my system post install when i click the applications its not launching and back to 6.61..

I've been using 6.49 for some time and might be one of the few people out there testing the BHE concept of "burn in".
If software burn in is real or something that is lost in translation - the player is just sounding fantastic.
Yesterday I had the free time to listen to some music that is a fairly decent measure of any audio system.

Latin music is multi layered and requires speed.
Dynamic flow is intermingled with staccato beats that keeps you on your toes.
Piano, Upright Bass, bongos, snare drums & high hats - percussion heaven!
Cuban piano maestro's debut album (at age 77), Introducing...Rubn Gonzlez was recorded in just two days, live with no overdubs.

Introducing ... Ruben Zonzalez

MI0002453205.jpg

-

Next up was another favorite - Tango! To be specific Neuvo Tango by it's most famous exponent Astor Piazolla.
This is among the best tango albums you can get. Think of the "Sherlock Holmes" 2009 movie soundtrack and you get an idea.
Bandoneon, upright bass, piano, violin and guitar like you have never heard before.

Astor Piazzolla - Tango: Zero Hour

astorpiazzollatangozerohour2.jpg

Listening Impressions:

To say that BHE just shined would be an extreme understatement.
I was using HQPlayer this time for comparison leaving out other players because really what's the point.
HQPlayer got the accuracy and sound stage right but BHE just filled the room with more dynamics.
More flesh to the music. Bughead was positively moving the music with a cohesive 3D sound stage.
Just stunning to see that a software player can make this much difference.

At this point there is no other player to compare with Bughead Infinity Blade.
This is just a fabulous player that is just a music machine. It's not even close.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, I have not yet had extensive listening sessions with the Bug but I did spend some time with it when the thread was started. It did give me some exciting music playback and I played around with the settings a lot. I went back to Foobar/Jriver and found it to sound a bit 'unexciting' but it made me thing that is Bug Head doing too much to make the music seem overtly rich and exciting and what not. Do we feel Foobar isn't as good because it plays the recording as it is without much DSPing?. I did not listen to this player after that for a while but after reading the thread again, I did another attempt with V6.60 and my impressions are still inconclusive. This is not to start any debates or whatever, but really felt like expressing this point here. Having said that, I will be listening to music via Bug in longer listening sessions in the days to come.

Quite honestly, I have not yet had extensive listening sessions with the Bug but I did spend some time with it when the thread was started. It did give me some exciting music playback and I played around with the settings a lot. I went back to Foobar/Jriver and found it to sound a bit 'unexciting' but it made me thing that is Bug Head doing too much to make the music seem overtly rich and exciting and what not. Do we feel Foobar isn't as good because it plays the recording as it is without much DSPing?. I did not listen to this player after that for a while but after reading the thread again, I did another attempt with V6.60 and my impressions are still inconclusive. This is not to start any debates or whatever, but really felt like expressing this point here. Having said that, I will be listening to music via Bug in longer listening sessions in the days to come.

Everything is DSP'd actually. We talk of amps and speakers being warm, bright, neutral, etc.

A purist will like it neutral without any coloration, but its not really possible to get that. Just by going through some component (HDD, RAM, cables, Wi-Fi, etc.) music will be colored, to what extent depends on the equipment and how it was designed.

If you really want uncolored sound then you need to hear it live and that too without amplification i.e. not a rock concert, but actual live in front of the singer and the band, or the MTV Unplugged accoustic kind.

Otherwise just go with the coloration (or DSP) you like and/or to what extent you can tolerate it.

I understand that and take the basic coloration (computer components induced) as a given. Anyway, I was dreading that discussions go in to purist mindset vs this that. But never the less, all this is subjective and where one draws the line varies.

Cheers.

I dont know whats the issue with my system, 6.49 doesnt sound good however 6.61 sounds amazing. dont know whats the culprit my taste, ears or system..

In 6.49 the centre is shifted a little towards left channel somewhat 40 to 60 ration.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back