Bug Head Player

For those of us who feel Bug Head is too much of pain, here are some very fine (and free) alternatives which will run on regular laptops/desktops:

1) Pureplayer: I rate it above foobar in terms of sound quality. It's very balanced sounding, with simple UI. For those adventurous, you can even tweak;) the sourcecode as that's available too for download. It is probably one of the earliest players to use memory playback.

2) AIMP: version 4 sounds very good, though a bit lean in the bass. Will work very good to tame bass-heavy systems. UI is full-featured.

3) MPD: Music Player Daemon is available for Windows too, though no longer actively developed in the last three odd years, but it remains a very good sounding engine. I tried it with Gnome UI front end as MPD doesn't have GUI. MPD for Windows is also a bit light in the bass.

Another player that uses MPD is VLC. I haven't tried it actively as music-only player but a friend swears that it handily beats foobar. I plan to try it out for myself.

For those comfortable with running Linux, distros like Arch Linux and Audio Linux are supposed to be good as they're optimised for audio. I have not tried them personally. Daphile is another well-known audio OS-cum-player Linux distribution. Despite struggling with it a lot with Rikhav's help, I couldn't get it to work in my system. Another Linux distribution that I heard at a friend's place is RTLinux, which is an optimized version of Arch Linux (which is already an audio-optimized Linux). Audio engine was MPD and front end was Gnome. I have never heard any player - hardware or software - that sounded as dynamic and pacy. The bass too was the most textured I've ever heard. But strangely it had a rolled off high, thus losing a bit on sheer resolution. I want to try this distribution in my setup some time soon.

Last but not the least, I've been fortunate to hear member Keith's work-in-progress, wav-only player. It's very, very basic at this time (and extremely tiny footprint, though .net framework is required) but probably equals or betters most of the above-mentioned players. I hope he develops it further;)

Last edited:
some sort of relief now...development stopped with 6.66 it seems.
By the way , everyone, could you please share here, which version you are liking and why

Spiro here is the link for 6.49 &6.56

Wikisend: free file sharing service

I downloaded and installed both setups.Now again after launching one by one,
V 6.49 shows 6.48 in front of "Digital Monster Player"-

35lbthl.jpg

and 6.56 shows 6.54 :)
2meen1g.jpg

Is that ok?
6.54 sounded better than 6.48 to me.

Last edited:
For 32 bit x86, 6.48 was the last version for some time, and I believe included in subsequent releases, as is. The versions after 6.48 actually had changes only on x64 versions.

6.54 and 6.56 for x86 could be a similar story. Time to upgrade your OS:)

To add to post # 362, XMPlay is another very worthy player.

Thanks are to Keith for tipping me about Pureplayer, AIMP and XMPlay :thumbsup:

All versions later than 6.66 are suitable only for Win 10 (and Server 2012 R2) as per Jplay forum. Now Bughead is on 6.74. People are appreciating version 6.66 and 6.68 more than 6.70 series.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back