Calibration of Plasma TV

Vishal

Can I ask a very basic question to the Video engineers here ..

What is calibration of HDTV's? Why is it important? How does one go about doing it.

(Mods - If there is a detailed thread on this, pls point me to it and delete this post)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you want your TV to display exactly the same color and picture like the original, you need calibration. If you don't care, You don't need it. I know many guys who have expensive TV s who want their TV actresses look exactly orangish in complexion. I guess it gives them a unique satisfaction! If you are among those "orange" saffronists or "blue" avatar creatures, Don't bother

If you want your TV to display exactly the same color and picture like the original, you need calibration. If you don't care, You don't need it. I know many guys who have expensive TV s who want their TV actresses look exactly orangish in complexion. I guess it gives them a unique satisfaction! If you are among those "orange" saffronists or "blue" avatar creatures, Don't bother

Thank you HifiJay.
Isnt the goal of every HDTV the same - to reproduce color and pic faithfully. So why the need to calibrate? Why dont TV settings come DEFAULT to display color/pic faithfully, to the best of their design/circuitry/etc and IF the users wants to change, allow them. Why should users have to calibrate to get the most real picture.

Is calibration dependent on content i.e. different from BD movies vs SD soaps vs. HD sports?

agree. I guess it gives them a unique satisfaction! If you are among those "orange"
13.gif

Thank you HifiJay.
Isnt the goal of every HDTV the same - to reproduce color and pic faithfully. So why the need to calibrate? Why dont TV settings come DEFAULT to display color/pic faithfully, to the best of their design/circuitry/etc and IF the users wants to change, allow them. Why should users have to calibrate to get the most real picture.

Is calibration dependent on content i.e. different from BD movies vs SD soaps vs. HD sports?

Each manufacturer puts in some default settings in the TV's various picture modes as per their own experts' judgements. These settings are usually quite ok and work with the most generic viewing conditions. At home, things may be different. Besides different people have different likings to contrast, brightness, colour, etc. Hence the need for calibration. But calibration is demanded by the most finicky users. 90% viewers do without it or just do some manual adjustments to settings.

I am using the ST60 without any changes to the settings.
In the Normal mode, I just reduced the contrast from 50 to 35. Other than that I think I have disabled to 'Intelligent Frame Creation'. No other changes were needed.

At times, if the movie is dark, I switch to the Cinema mode which has a 'Warm' colour setting. That looks good as well. Not used the True Cinema mode (it appears the same as Cinema too my eyes) and also not used the User/ Custom mode.

The TV comes with some Eco settings which is supposed to adjust brightness as per ambient light, turn off the TV if there is no signal for some time and so on. I have disabled and enabled those settings. Don't see it affecting the picture quality in any negative way. So now I have those kept 'ON'.

I am using the ST60 without any changes to the settings.
In the Normal mode, I just reduced the contrast from 50 to 35. Other than that I think I have disabled to 'Intelligent Frame Creation'. No other changes were needed.

I am also keen on the ST60. How rigorous was your plasma "curing" process? Any other care besides zoom outs, running slides and reducing contrast?

What was the warranty for ST60?

Regards,

V

I am also keen on the ST60. How rigorous was your plasma "curing" process? Any other care besides zoom outs, running slides and reducing contrast?

At the moment I do not even know how many hours we have used. I need to check, but I expect about 50 hours are done so far since June end.

Zoom mode was used and channels were changed regularly.

For movies with the black bands on top and bottom, we zoomed in the first few hours but now nothing is done. We just watched them normally.

No slides run.

What was the warranty for ST60?

3 years

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back