Can any AVR match these speaker's

terence_fdes

Hi folks,

Can any AVR match these speaker's

It's been an long, long time since I prowled around these parts, so apologies ....

What I have: Technics 4.1 speaker's of my my music system (Technics SGC-770) - This is roughly 13 years old and in very good condition (Total RMS of 460W)

Can I use the above speakers on a decent AVR (budget of 20-25K) ? Would they decode all the essential audio signals like - Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD etc ?

(maybe I need to search real hard for the Manual to see the speaker specs also)

If YES then which would be a good AVR (with 4 HDMI inputs and having a good upscaler of all video sources to 1080p - Faroudja DCDi Cinema or any other) .....

If NO ... then :sad:

In 20-25K budget, you won't get avr with vidoe upscale. But I tell you, this video upscale feature is not important if you use hdmi devices. For analog video, use the tv for the upscaling. All new avrs support HD audio format and 3D passthrough. Denon 1612 and Yamaha 471 are close to your budget. You can use your existing speakers if they match the impedence of the amplifier. Denon recommends a minimum of 6 ohms. 4 ohms speakers may damage the amp if used at high volume. Is the sub passive or active?

In 20-25K budget, you won't get avr with vidoe upscale. But I tell you, this video upscale feature is not important if you use hdmi devices. For analog video, use the tv for the upscaling. All new avrs support HD audio format and 3D passthrough. Denon 1612 and Yamaha 471 are close to your budget. You can use your existing speakers if they match the impedence of the amplifier. Denon recommends a minimum of 6 ohms. 4 ohms speakers may damage the amp if used at high volume. Is the sub passive or active?

Thanks @baijuxavior - You have given me some hope about using my speakers. Although I have to get back and locate the tech specs of my speakers.... (I am also an absolute dummy in audio matters).... Like what is meant by - "Is the sub passive or active?" and "matching impedence of the amplifier?"

Devices that I have are the WDTV Live Hub & Sherwood Blu-Ray - both connected via HDMI to my TV, later I would also like to connect my PC via HDMI.

Thanks

Active / Passive Subwoofer

If subwoofer needs power supply then Active otherwise Passive

Matching Impedence

Find out the rated impedence of the speakers. It should be within the range of accepted impedence of the AVR to be chosen.

(Could not find such Technics model from google)

AVRs usually have amplifiers for satellite and center channels only. For subwoofer they provide a line out which you connect to a powered or active subwoofer which has built-in amplifier and needs power. But in HTiBs like Onkyo 3500, the subwoofer amplifier is inside the avr and the subwoofer is passive which is connected directly to avr. In other words, Active subwoofer - built in amplifier, needs external power supply
Passive subwoofer - No built in amplifier, needs external amplifier.

Usually the specs should specify the impedence of the speakers. 6 ohms and above can be used safely with AVRs. 4 ohms or lower can cause harm to your AVR.

Terence,

Could you post the quality rear picture of your speakers, as by default the speaker sepci would be mentioned over there,so that we could identify the Oms and power rating

Thanks so much to each and every one here thus afar - Please gimme time till Sunday/Monday to post pics & try to locate the manual at home..... Will get back to you soon.... (busy over the weekend with a bloody AGM at my place & i yam the damm Secretary-cum-Treasurer) :(

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back