Can Raspberry Pi be used as network streamer

I use Rpi 4 with official touchscreen as a media player and have connected it to external DAC at home. With rotary controls it is really intuitive to use. It can play local media or Spotify [I'm running Volumio free version]. I sometime use it in my car as well [This is good if you don't want to replace your stock HU in Car - portable MUSE DAC RCA output is being fed to Dayton DSP 408].

Please elaborate your requirement with little more details like what kind of outputs you need on your streamer like USB, Coaxial or Analogue RCA etc...

WHere does one buy a raspberry streamer In India ?

Awesome, Thanks.
I see the mini Boss player, can't find much info on it , does it play spotify and tidal connect and is there any way to play airplay on these?

After doing a lot of research I have set up moode on my raspberry pi zero w with external dac Fiio x2 gen 2 as dac. It plays Spotify smoothly but tried playing FLAC files from NAS source isnt good. You can also use connect to Bluetooth to play some songs from phone also. For the future will upgrade it raspberry pi 4.

You can use rpi4 with Volumio or Moode with out any hats to feed the usb out to your pm6007. It will be definitely better compared to rpi3 due to the separate bus implementation for usb and ethernet ports. Using a clean power supply will improve the sound stage.
Good luck!
Ideally you could use a power bank - that’s the best way to supply clean power to units like pi and hummingbird type units

Haven't heard a rpi3B+ so can't comment, but it seems interesting. Have you tried both in same condition like with same version of OS and other hw configuration like power supply and hats? USB out of pi4b should be better due to the separate bus design compared to pi3b+, also the bluetooth and wifi.
I am still using a mobile phone charger to power my rpi4b with allo boss dac. Never tried any better audiophile quality power supply. Shanti is super costlier compared to the cost of rpi+dac. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper lpsu?
Thanks
Premod
Premod- if I may suggest - use a simple powerbank- it would last easily for 3 to 4 days before it runs out of juice. This is the cheapest and safest option.

So i was planning to set up a kubernetes cluster on a raspberry pi for a POC.Meanwhile i came across the audio Dacs.I have also seen Allo etc.

My question is once my POCs done can i use this Rasp Pi 4 8GB board for a netwrok streamer with some Hifi board or something that i can build.Am totally a noob.So would like to knoe more.Can anyone help?
Whichever such unit you buy - if you can disable WiFi / Bluetooth ... helps in reducing jitter and noise

Premod- if I may suggest - use a simple powerbank- it would last easily for 3 to 4 days before it runs out of juice. This is the cheapest and safest option.
I do have the powerbank and once in a while I use that also in my setup. Its definitely clean, but the sound becomes thin compared to my wall wart charger, I prefer it more than the powerbank in terms of tonal quality.. might be some placebo effect ;)

I do have the powerbank and once in a while I use that also in my setup. Its definitely clean, but the sound becomes thin compared to my wall wart charger, I prefer it more than the powerbank in terms of tonal quality.. might be some placebo effect ;)
I have used something similar- infact I own the unit - with powerbank- and maybe because of the rest of the gear - I haven’t noticed any “thin-ness” I must say ... but I use it only as a stopgap unit whenever I have had to wait for new streamer to get delivered ...let me see wether I can attach pictures as well.

Attachments

• 4710D16B-55F6-4C2B-AAD7-F6E2D4D3326B.jpeg
    4710D16B-55F6-4C2B-AAD7-F6E2D4D3326B.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 7EEBB0FA-C42A-43F7-9760-639E35B1B47A.jpeg
    7EEBB0FA-C42A-43F7-9760-639E35B1B47A.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 30
  • E4AE2E0B-BFF1-425F-BF90-9D1877D2679B.jpeg
    E4AE2E0B-BFF1-425F-BF90-9D1877D2679B.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 29
I’m using rpi 4 8gb with pi2aes hat running gentooplayer in ram root. Allo Shanti to power rpi. Very impressive streaming solution & plays offline songs directly. Just connect ext ssd. No need for laptop/PC.

I’m using rpi 4 8gb with pi2aes hat running gentooplayer in ram root. Allo Shanti to power rpi. Very impressive streaming solution & plays offline songs directly. Just connect ext ssd. No need for laptop/PC.
Are you powering PI2AES and RPI4 separately or have you done a mod converting PI2AES to 5V?

Guys, I set up a new Raspberry Pi 4 with Moode for Spotify Connect. Raspberry Pi connected via one of the 4 USB to my Schitt Modi 3 (also tried with iFi Zen Dac).

From my phone, I am able to select the Pi for streaming (Connect), but I am not getting any audio on my amp/speakers. In fact, I am not getting audio even while using the built-in player in Moode.

Anything I may be doing wrong?

Last edited:
Guys, I set up a new Raspberry Pi 4 with Moode for Spotify Connect. Raspberry Pi connected via one of the 4 USB to my Schitt Modi 3 (also tried with iFi Zen Dac).

From my phone, I am able to select the Pi for streaming (Connect), but I am not getting any audio on my amp/speakers. In fact, I am not getting audio even while using the built-in player in Moode.

Anything I may be doing wrong?
You need to configure moode to output audio through your connected dac.
Go to settings > audio > mdp options
click on edit button for mdp settings
Select your dac from the output device drop down and save.

This should output audio through usb

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back