Canon 1000 d Is it good buy at 21 k

mabhi10

hey i am new bie for camera .so any one can guide me how is canon 1000d for entrly level dslr ..as i am very strict in budget .so if u want 2 suggest kindly look below 30 k

hey i am new bie for camera .so any one can guide me how is canon 1000d for entrly level dslr ..as i am very strict in budget .so if u want 2 suggest kindly look below 30 k

Have you decided on canon or are considering Nikon also. Because these two have different lens mounting systems. As you are considering DSLR so you might have decided on the lenses (you may stagger your purchase for lenses).

Yes Canon 1000D is a good entry level DSLR, but its upgraded version 1100D is announced (although not in Canon India site at present)

You can consider Nikon 3100 also. It will be also within your budget (approx). It has a very good guide mode which will help you in deciding the settings while taking photos.

One additional point is that 1000D cannot capture video whereas Canon 1100D and Nikon 3100 can capture HD video.

Canon 1000D, 1100D and Nikon 3100 come with 18-55 Kit lenses which is good starting lens.

Pls study the specs and review of these cameras and then decide.

Does the price include the lens or just the body? Keep money for a good bag, quality SDHC memory card, a lens cleaning kit and a good tripod. I am not sure about its kit lens but you may like to go for a good midrange lens than the kit one. So buy the body and a midrange lens.

Nikon may not fit in your budget with above accessories.

buddy canon 1000d is just the entry level also sold as rebel xs and the one sold in india does not comes with a IS (image stabilizer) lens... so avoid canon at entry level as of now for best entry level available in india is nikon d3000 however it takes only pictures.. no video..

go for d3100 if you want a decent dslr and make sure you get the basic 18-55 (VR lens)

if you can get someone to get a camera for you from US or Singapore or Dubai go for a pentax K-X its a amazing entry level dslr

for indian market go for d3100 (body) + 18-55 (vr lens) = 30k else you can pass the 18-55 lens and get your self an equally good Tamron lens for a cheaper price...

avoid canon at entry level in india...

also the 1000d viewfinder is small and certainly not very comfortable to use...
Limited exposure compensation range (+/- 2.0 EV) whereas in other cameras you get it upto 5-7 steps.. useful for HDR photography.
Average automatic white balance performance, still very poor under incandescent light

so go for d3100.. 14mp.. infact few specs better than big brother d5000..

d5000 for few extra settings and flip lcd.. but d3100 can record 1080p however limited only to 10mins each...

canon 1000d does not support video and the sdhx card for faster camera response.. however diffrence is 10k so decide accordingly...

also the other aspect is incase any time if you plan to buy the telephoto lens.. 70-300 VR lens for nikon is close to 7-8 expensive than 70-300 IS lens for the canon...

give them a hands on.. check what fits best in your palm.. coz if you arent comfortable.. you will miss the soul in the images...

i wanted a long zoom for distant bird and wildlife photography.. so i passed the dslr.. friends bought a panasonic lumix fz-40 and my HS-20 is on pre-booking..
and a d7000 with another friend.. with a 18-55 and 105mm lens..

Last edited:
one more thing the canon limits the ISO 1600 and nikon goes uptil 12,800 however that virtual.. lolz .. nikon with good quality goes uptil 3200 so better low light performance...

Does the price include the lens or just the body?
canon 1000d for 21k with b&w
Nikon may not fit in your budget with above accessories.
nikon 3100 is for 28k with b&w
and both with 18- 55 mm lens .
tamron 55-200 mm and 700-300 mm both are from 6.5 k to 8 k respectively with IS.

You can consider Nikon 3100 also. It will be also within your budget (approx). It has a very good guide mode which will help you in deciding the settings while taking photos.

do u have nikon 3100 ,have u use this feature .is it really uselful ? can u see the diffrence?

One additional point is that 1000D cannot capture video whereas Canon 1100D and Nikon 3100 can capture HD video.
i have panasonic zs1 which have 1080i video recording so just for video recording i did not felt 2 pay 7 k extra .

useful for HDR photography.
Average automatic white balance performance, still very poor under incandescent light

has nikon 3100 have edge on this ??

one more thing the canon limits the ISO 1600 and nikon goes uptil 12,800 however that virtual.. lolz .. nikon with good quality goes uptil 3200 so better low light performance...

but what is limit of iso nikon till it takes good shots without noise???

Now when examined 1000 d it has plastic body so was very light and another thing was when i click a pic and done 100 % zoom .image was very clear with canon while with nikon image has little noise when i did 100 % zoom.

now those who have nikon d 3100 and other model within this budget plz help me

Check out the reviews/previews of the D3100, EOS 1000d, the EOS 1100d and EOS 600d on www.dpreview.com

You will get a good idea of what the strengths & weaknesses of the various models. I would suggest that you get a camera from the current generation and to avoid the previous generation models, so I would not recommend getting either the EOS 1000d or the Nikon D3000.

I would recommend very strongly against purchasing any third party lens w/o doing a very thorough study of the lens that you intend to purchase.

Do understand that most reviews on the web sites review the camera body with a good quality lens and not the kit lens. In general, I have observed that the kit lens provided with even the cheapest Nikon SLR cameras are quite decent. While with Canon cameras, the kit lenses are sometimes quite bad.

-- no1lives4ever
PS: I use Nikon DSLRs, so I may be biased against Canon.

The entry level SLRs will not have image preview in the LCD screen.
Do decide if that is a a priority for you or if you are ok with the viewfinder.

Have you checked JJ Mehta @ jjmehta.com
fantastic small shop at dadar ,They offer In Lieu lens option of course at price.
Check their prices too manytimes their pricing is best ( They have ebay store too)
All the best!

The entry level SLRs will not have image preview in the LCD screen.
Do decide if that is a a priority for you or if you are ok with the viewfinder.

if you are talking about 1000D and the D3100...both have Live View!

No don't buy 1000D

Go for Nikon D3100
- Slightly bigger sensor
- 11 point auto focus
- HD Video Recording
- New model hence better resale

Also Canon has launched a new entry level DSLR 1100D making 1000D obsolete.

nikon d3100 is still better buy than 1100d as it records 1080p and still has a larger sensor.

14mp instad of 12mp however does not makes big diff unless you print poster size..

and a lot cheaper.. and 11 point focus compared to 9 point canon 1000d has got 7 point focus..

also canon does not support 24p (movie mode) shooting.

no autofocus in movies in canon whereas nikon got continous autofocus in movie mode..

canon 1000d for 21k with b&w

nikon 3100 is for 28k with b&w
and both with 18- 55 mm lens .
tamron 55-200 mm and 700-300 mm both are from 6.5 k to 8 k respectively with IS.

do u have nikon 3100 ,have u use this feature .is it really uselful ? can u see the diffrence?

i have panasonic zs1 which have 1080i video recording so just for video recording i did not felt 2 pay 7 k extra .

has nikon 3100 have edge on this ??

but what is limit of iso nikon till it takes good shots without noise???

Now when examined 1000 d it has plastic body so was very light and another thing was when i click a pic and done 100 % zoom .image was very clear with canon while with nikon image has little noise when i did 100 % zoom.

now those who have nikon d 3100 and other model within this budget plz help me

It looks like this thread is getting side tracked into the eternal Canon vs Nikon debate, with most people being biased towards Nikons. For example, I find it interesting that no one mentions the fact that this camera has live preview which the entry level Nikons do not have (3000, although the 3100 has this). Or for the matter that this humble little Canon takes much better low light pictures than the Nikon D3000.

I've owned a Canon 1000d for almost a year now, and am extremely happy with it. I bought it for 23k and when I was purchasing it, I very well accepted the limitations. In my case, I wanted a reasonably priced entry level DSLR camera in which the auto mode and other presets should be good enough to take good photographs, which has good picture quality, and enough manual controls so that I can tweak the settings later on if I want to have more creative control over my pictures. In my case, taking videos from a DSLR was the least of my priorities. The 1000d is also a very well built camera by the way, and I have faced no creaks and rattles. It feels solid in my hands (I have to say that the Nikons have always always excelled in this department, and in fact, the 1000d is actually one of the first entry level Canons that is actually well built).

In my case, the camera gave me all I wanted for this price range. Or to put it another way, yes, this camera has some major limitations like no video and that Live View is only for show and this doesn't have many of the "pro" features. However, it is "good enough" at least for me.

It takes really good pictures at the default settings, and most importantly for me, it takes amazingy clear pictures in low light conditions with the flash off, something which the Nikon 3000 really sucked at, and something which all point and shoots are utterly incapable of. For 21k or 23k, this camera is priced well below many other "prosumer" and super-zoom non-DSLR cameras and it can take the pants off all other cameras in this price range when it comes to low light photography.

I am not being biased because I own this camera. On the contrary, I bought this camera after I saw what my requirements were, what I was getting for the money, and how it compared to the more expensive Nikon at the time, the D3000. Then I ended up with this camera.

I also recently took several hundred pictures in a wedding and at a safari, and I can tell you, the pictures I could take without flash with this little cheapo camera completely blew me away.

Last edited:
buddy the track of thread is not going anywhere.. and neither we are stating that canon is not good.. i mentioned my reasons why canon in INDIA is not good compared to NIKON due to the 18-55 NON IS lens..

also no one is biased towards nikon its just he wont change camera every year.. dlsr is meant to be for long term use and just keep upgrading lenses... so to get the updated one in market . canon 1000d has already been obslete due to 1100d and that is quite expensive than 3100. the diff in price will be north of 5k between 1100d and d3100

so every one suggeting that to spend a lil more and get a better deal...

as a matter of fact.. canon and nikons are equally good..

like other place we do not have options to buy pentax or lumix gh-1 or any other entry level dlsr .... even if we manage to get them they just move out of our budget..

buddy the track of thread is not going anywhere.. and neither we are stating that canon is not good.. i mentioned my reasons why canon in INDIA is not good compared to NIKON due to the 18-55 NON IS lens..

also no one is biased towards nikon its just he wont change camera every year.. dlsr is meant to be for long term use and just keep upgrading lenses... so to get the updated one in market . canon 1000d has already been obslete due to 1100d and that is quite expensive than 3100. the diff in price will be north of 5k between 1100d and d3100

so every one suggeting that to spend a lil more and get a better deal...

as a matter of fact.. canon and nikons are equally good..

like other place we do not have options to buy pentax or lumix gh-1 or any other entry level dlsr .... even if we manage to get them they just move out of our budget..

Hey Ironhorse, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I just thought this camera wasn't being well represented and there were not too many posts with personal experiences :)

Actually, I disagree about 1100. Based on whatever I have read, it actually seems to be a step down from the 1000d, and is built to a budget and seems to be flimsier.

The thing is: The 1000d pricing is so incredibly low that it makes sense even with its limitations. Heck, a decent point and shoot zoom or "prosumer" is more expensive.

I also disagree with you about this being a long term purchase. What you say is 100% true if you are a serious photographer and are buying rather "investing" in a camera. However, this would be a mid-level DSLR camera that contains all the features you will require for the next 10 years.

Entry level DSLRs are not built with this focus to being with. They are built to provide a "minimum" feature set that will cover 95% of the requirements for a novice user and about 70% of the requirements for a expert user.

What I am saying is that if you progress from a novice user to a photo enthusiast and want full creative control, you will end up buying a mid level DSLR later on regardless of which entry level DSLR you buy today. So, a 1000d makes perfect sense to me. It is a cheap enough introduction to the world of photography and has phenomenal "bang for the buck". To stretch an analogy, it is the Topping TP2020 of the photography world.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back