Canon 1000 d Is it good buy at 21 k

please have a look at this.. they have compared the nikon d3100 with 550 and even 1000d.. with sample images side by side at same iso and defaut settings..

both the camera a good at 100 iso however d3100 is at bit brighter side..

at 1600 iso.. canon gets softer.. however nikon shows lil bit of noise but a lot crisp in colour repriduction and sharp..

nikon seems to be natural but canon seems to be on a warmer tone that looks like dull light.. might be some exposture settings or a slow shutter can help compensating the same.

Nikon D3100 review: High ISO Noise results, D3100 vs Canon 1000D / XS vs Canon 550D / T2i | Cameralabs

also compared to t2i aka 550d at 12,800 iso .. nikon still takes the lead.. have a look and decide yourself..

camera arent cheap in india.. and neither we have buying power similar to that in US or UK as for them a 400$ isint a big deal.. however if we get a 20k camera we still belong to elite club.. trust me..

yes entry level are not for long term.. however my long term is atleast 3 years. i do not have any objection for your thoughts as what you said is also correct.. i was trying to help him get the right camera.. after all its the buyer's choice... and taking india as a logical situation..

however i guess he will atleast keep it for three years.. before moving to a mid-level dslr ...

till that time a canon 1000d will render almost useless.. as 1080p being industry standard.. for movies.. however camera is for pictures.. but wudn't you want video recording in it... what say ???

more d3100 sample images... http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D3100/sample_images.shtml

and yes its not the best budget entry level dslar.. but taking the features and pic quality.. i guess it can be acceptable.. however

if video not needed.. and you okies with 10mp... (psychologically) as i stated 10mp and 14mp wont make much diff unless u print poster...

than canon 1000d + strictly( 18-55 VR) is a good cam...

Last edited:
till that time a canon 1000d will render almost useless.. as 1080p being industry standard.. for movies.. however camera is for pictures.. but wudn't you want video recording in it... what say ???

720p is good enough image quality for Human consumption for the next decade.
If you keep chasing specs you will be chasing and lagging behind a running bus all your life and forget to enjoy what you have!! :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

720p is good enough image quality for Human consumption for the next decade.
If you keep chasing specs you will be chasing and lagging behind a running bus all your life and forget to enjoy what you have!! :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

canon 1000d does not have video recording option..... it just takes pictures.

Wht the heck is going on here ?:mad:

This forum is only for Audio/Video enthus.....

Moderator are u seeing this ?...........................

Last edited:
He He ...looks like we have a good number of photography enthusiasts here :clapping:

If you are seriously interested in taking good pictures, building your gear over a period of time with lenses/flashes/filters etc and persuing it for a long time...go for Nikon D3100 instead of a Canon 1000. Both Nikon and Canon have their advantages, however, more importantly Nikon's autofocus system is far better than the Canons...and in my opinion - Nikon makes much better lenses that Canon - except the Canon 10-22mm which is better than any ultrawide lens ever made. Somewhere in this thread IS / VR has been discussed - it is a very useful feature to negate camera shake and not for moving objects :D. For that u need a faster lens and not VR. A very FEW 3rd party lenses are also good - and you need to know which one matches well with your camera before you purchase. Remember - lenses are more important than a camera body - even an old Nikon D40 with a Nikon 12-24mm or a Nikon 70-300VR can produce mind blowing pictures :lol:

Happy Clicking

Wht the heck is going on here ?:mad:

This forum is only for Audio/Video enthus.....

Moderator are u seeing this ?...........................

Ngyahh! Ngyah! Ngyaaaah! Olulululululululululululu! :eek:hyeah: :D

Back to the topic of interest - I just spoke to a firang who was extremely happy with his purchase of a Nikon P&S from M.G Road. According to him, Camera's are very expensive in EU and he was very happy with the bargain he got in Bangalore :)

So this is surprising because I remember I got the S5IS for 18K in Californicationia when India price was 24K. How come?

--G

Last edited:
I dont understand what is this topic doing here in this AV Forum. I think think this can be discussed in the photography forum of HFV.

Since the discussion had crossed 4 pages, I am also putting my views here. I am using Canon 1000D for the past 2 years and recently started using it for a hobby-professional / business uses. From my experience lens is more important than the body (to an extend). Irrespective of the body (canon / nikon) we can get very good pics if we know how to take photos (Manual).

I never suggest spending extra money over a 18-55 kit lens for IS. For a distance of 55mm we dont require any extra stability (capturing moving objects has nothing to do with this stability). If you are using an SLR / DSLR your hands are supposed to be steady or should know how to make it stable, which is a basic requirement. The 18-55 (both IS and Non-IS) are pretty decent lenses and they are not supposed to be used in a low light situation because of F3.5 - F5.6 aperture. For low light you should have a faster lens (fixed aperture preferred.) Instead of spending extra, I would suggest to get a 50mm 1.8 prime (killer lens for the price-performance) for the extra money for IS lens. Use the kit lens for bright light and use 50mm prime for low light and portraits, I am sure you will be getting far better pics than the IS lens. Moreover the kit lens can give you pretty good landscape pics ~ F11 + tripod (sweetspot of this lens starts at F8).

The sensors used in the entry level are almost same, but Canon uses CMOS which is better compared to CCDs used in Nikon (CMOS sensors are used from their mid level cameras, not sure). If possible, buy 1000D instead of 1100, coz to make the price same as 1000D we dont know what all they might have compromised. If you require video capturing, go for a separate camcoder or something similar else it will be a compromise for both videos and pictures. If you ask me, I dont prefer / like video capturing in a still camera.

Note: Don't give much importance to all the features (auto) for each model. All those will be irrelevant after 1 week of usage or once you learn how to use the camera.

Last edited:
Any one from mumbai having canon 1000d or nikon 3100 or aany one who can upload low light photograph

can some throw light on macro which one is better ???

Any one from mumbai having canon 1000d or nikon 3100 or aany one who can upload low light photograph

I can tell you for Nikon. Just go for Nikkor 50mm f1.4 if you have more money or 50mm f1.8 for a lesserr amount.

For low light, I would expect the Nikon D3100 to be better than a Canon 1000d, mainly on the basis that the 1000d is a generation or two older than the Nikon D3100. If you want more detailed analysis, you can get sensor noise data on sites like dpreview.com.

In terms of macro, both Nikon and Canon are very good. With Nikon you have a big advantage in the ability to use MF lenses. You can get second hand Nikkor Macro MF lenses at bargain prices at sites like keh.com & adorama.com and some of these older generation lenses are actually better than current Nikkor macro lenses in the field. Nikon's R1 Macro flash kit is a great help too. But then Canon has lenses like the MPE-65 which are a great help when doing extreme macro.

The entry level SLRs will not have image preview in the LCD screen.
Do decide if that is a a priority for you or if you are ok with the viewfinder.

If you are using a DSLR, then be prepared to use the viewfinder to compose your shots. You should not expect to use a DSLR like a regular digicam where you compose your shots using the live video on the rear screen even if your DSLR has that feature.

Using the viewfinder to compose and take photos is better because of:
1. When you are using the viewfinder, you are using the phase detection AF module. In Live View mode, the DSLR shifts to a contrast detection mode, which is a lot less accurate and a lot slower than the primary phase detection AF module.

2. With modern 10+MP DSLRs, even the slightest camera shake will blur the final capture. Holding a DSLR like a digicam is a sure shot way to introduce additional camera shake. Having VR/IS/In camera anti shake will not help a whole lot here. The proper way to hold a SLR camera is to balance it on 3 points, your left hand under the lens, the right hand applying slight force to balance the camera on your left hand and the eye. This way you eliminate a whole lot of shake.

3. With the live view enabled, the sensor is kept on for the entire duration of your composition and this will increase noise on the final captured image on most DSLRs.

The only practical use of Live View on a DSLR that I could think up would be in these cases:
a. If you need to focus and compose a shot with the maximum control. e.g. when you are using a tripod and composing a landscape shot or a macro shot, you can easily check for focus and the scene composition to the pixel level when using live view.

b. If your camera has an articulated screen, then you can compose with the camera at angles where you can not see through the viewfinder.

Remember that a DSLR is a bulky camera and carrying it around can be a pain at times. Also in some places taking out a obvious DSLR is not very helpful for photography. Like some others have pointed out, a DSLR is not always a upgrade from a P&S camera and not necessarily what everyone buying a camera requires. It would be helpful to know what your photography objectives are when you go choosing a DSLR.

-- no1lives4ever

Last edited:
Deleting my earlier post. Just realized that this thread is in the wrong location.

Last edited:
i have added links of complete detailed reviews in my pervious posts.. please check with pics and decide.. and long run nikon will be better with additional features...

and forget about additional features.. lets just see the pics comparison.. pure pics.. both at 100 iso and default settings..

i have added links of complete detailed reviews in my pervious posts.. please check with pics and decide.. and long run nikon will be better with additional features...

and forget about additional features.. lets just see the pics comparison.. pure pics.. both at 100 iso and default settings..

One thing I have noticed is that most reviews do not use the kit lens when reviewing the cheaper body and making comments. And in my opinion using the default settings at the base ISO is again not the correct way to judge a camera's quality.

I would still advice against getting the EOS 1000d, as the non IS lens that comes with this camera will definitely get a average user a inferior picture to what a IS/VR lens will provide.

-- no1lives4ever

those reviews have been done with the base lens of 18-55 that comes default and infact canon has been reviewed with the IS lens as only in india we get the NON IS version to make it a competetive buy....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back