Can't decide on a 55" TV for Next-Gen Gaming and HDR Movies....Please help!

goelkun

My usage in order frequency/priority:
1) HDR Movies from OTT apps and Personal Blu-Ray collection
2) Next-Gen Gaming on a PS5/Xbox Series X
3) SDR (some HDR) TV Shows from OTT apps
4) Sports on DTH (Mostly football along with some tennis and some cricket)

The few TVs I am looking at are
1) Samsung The Frame 2020
Pros:
Cheapest HDMI 2.1 TV?
Cons:
Edge-Lit

2) Sony X9000H
Pros:
FALD
HDMI 2.1 (Soon to come via an update)
Cons:
1.05 Lakh price

3) LG CX/C9 OLED
Pros:
OLED!
Cons:
Burn in risk (If I am spending north of 1.3 Lakhs on a TV I want it to last atleast 6-7 years without issues which I dont think is possible with even newer OLEDs)
Most Expensive

I am reluctant to spend over a lakh on just the TV so that I can spend some money on decent soundbar (I dont have the budget for full 5.1/7.1 setup).

Are there any other options worth considering apart from these 3 that have/will have HDMI 2.1 ?

What kind of games are you planning to play on next gen? Most graphics intensive games are going to be 4k30 or 4k60 at best as gen progresses and devs get better at it. In any case get x9000h if you are reluctant on going above 1lakh.

Pros:
Cheapest HDMI 2.1 TV?
Cons:
Edge-Lit

2) Sony X9000H
Pros:
FALD
Cons:
1.05 Lakh price

3) LG CX/C9 OLED
Pros:
OLED!
Cons:
Burn in risk (If I am spending north of 1.3 Lakhs on a TV I want it to last atleast 6-7 years without issues which I dont think is possible with even newer OLEDs)
Most Expensive

I am reluctant to spend over a lakh on just the TV so that I can spend some money on decent soundbar (I dont have the budget for full 5.1/7.1 setup).

Are there any other options worth considering apart from these 3 that have/will have HDMI 2.1 ?
Well Frame & sony x900h will perform similarly.so no point in spending extra money on x900h.try for frame at BBD on flipkart.you might get it for 70-75K

If you have a budget of 1lac wait till diwali.you may get BX for 1.05-1.15L that's a better buy than X900H for 1 lac

LG BX around diwali is best buy around 1L. If you are not playing same game for 2 years starlight. You will be fine with respect to burn in.

Pros:
Cheapest HDMI 2.1 TV?
Cons:
Edge-Lit

2) Sony X9000H
Pros:
FALD
Cons:
1.05 Lakh price

3) LG CX/C9 OLED
Pros:
OLED!
Cons:
Most Expensive

If playing Games is your primary goal, then I am afraid you won't get anything meaningful under 1.3L for a 55" unit (Either LCD or OLED). Else for Movies/Sports/SDR/Moderate Gaming, I would probably stretch my budget for a little more (around 1.05L) and would get a Q70R. It provides a great VFM and an all-rounder. Although it's doesn't offer HDMI 2.1 but supports many HDMI 2.1 features like VRR, ALL, and 4K, 60HZ (4:4:4).

If playing Games is your primary goal, then I am afraid you won't get anything meaningful under 1.3L for a 55" unit (Either LCD or OLED). Else for Movies/Sports/SDR/Moderate Gaming, I would probably stretch my budget for a little more (around 1.05L) and would get a Q70R. It provides a great VFM and an all-rounder. Although it's doesn't offer HDMI 2.1 but supports many HDMI 2.1 features like VRR, ALL, and 4K, 60HZ (4:4:4).
Why not? Whats the problem with the sony x9000h (assuming it gets the promised firmware update for enabling hdmi 2.1 support)?

Well Frame & sony x900h will perform similarly.so no point in spending extra money on x900h.try for frame at BBD on flipkart.you might get it for 70-75K

If you have a budget of 1lac wait till diwali.you may get BX for 1.05-1.15L that's a better buy than X900H for 1 lac
So you are saying the difference in picture quality between frame and sony x900h is negligible ? Edge lit vs FALD?

LG BX around diwali is best buy around 1L. If you are not playing same game for 2 years starlight. You will be fine with respect to burn in.
Its not just games but also regular content from OTT apps/dth. Sports channels have their logo plus logo of dth, OTT apps like hotstar show their logo all the time. Which has me worried if OLED will last even minimum 6 years without burn in.

FALD is must for any decent hdr. Frame is equivalent in performance to q60t, only reason it is vfm is because you get some fancy aesthetics but performance will not hold a candle against x9000h.

Q70R is available for 95k which is interesting and definitely an option I am considering now.

So you are saying the difference in picture quality between frame and sony x900h is negligible ? Edge lit vs FALD?
what matters is contrast ratio to get deeper blacks.OLED has infinite contrast ratio.frame has very good contrast ratio.so even though its edge lit it will give you good blacks.

In real life the tvs are comparable you not get any significant difference with sony x900h.dont get q70R for 95 k when you get BX for 10-15K more in diwali.OLED will be issue only if you are watching dth for 6+ hrs everyday.

what matters is contrast ratio to get deeper blacks.OLED has infinite contrast ratio.frame has very good contrast ratio.so even though its edge lit it will give you good blacks.

In real life the tvs are comparable you not get any significant difference with sony x900h.dont get q70R for 95 k when you get BX for 10-15K more in diwali.OLED will be issue only if you are watching dth for 6+ hrs everyday.
Its not all just about contrast ratio. HDR Movies is my first priority and 2nd is gaming and for HDR movies FALD makes a huge difference (from what I have heard, I have not personally experienced these TV's in detail and due to corona I am reluctant to go out and watch demo units). Just look at rtings rating for the 2 tvs in HDR movies and normal movies.

Also BX for 1.10 lakh is quite optimistic even for diwali season. It will be 1.20 lakh minimum I guess. Q70R I have read many reviews now saying that the picture quality takes a big hit in gaming mode so now I am probably dropping the idea to get it unless I can get a very good deal on it in the coming month (cheaper than 85k including cashback etc).

X900H seems perfect to me if I can get that with cashbacks and stuff at around 90-95k. (Even though I know I can get better picture quality going with something like X950G from last year but that does not even have hdmi 2.0b VRR)

Frame and q70 in same ballpark. X900h is better.
q70R has FALD and is better than the frame 2020 in every aspect apart from hdmi 2.1 support but even the frame 2020 cant do 4k120hz (despite having hdmi 2.1) so that makes the frame essentially having no advantage.

Edit: The Frame 2020 might be able to do 4k120hz with proper hdmi 2.1 input but rtings wasnt able to test that so take that info with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Its not all just about contrast ratio. HDR Movies is my first priority and 2nd is gaming and for HDR movies FALD makes a huge difference (from what I have heard, I have not personally experienced these TV's in detail and due to corona I am reluctant to go out and watch demo units). Just look at rtings rating for the 2 tvs in HDR movies and normal movies.

Also BX for 1.10 lakh is quite optimistic even for diwali season. It will be 1.20 lakh minimum I guess. Q70R I have read many reviews now saying that the picture quality takes a big hit in gaming mode so now I am probably dropping the idea to get it unless I can get a very good deal on it in the coming month (cheaper than 85k including cashback etc).

X900H seems perfect to me if I can get that with cashbacks and stuff at around 90-95k. (Even though I know I can get better picture quality going with something like X950G from last year but that does not even have hdmi 2.0b VRR)
Dude you asked for suggestion that why i suggested frame because you were reluctant to spend 1lac.buy whatever you want.

Also how do know BX will not be 1.1L.based how many years of your experience?I can tell you from C7 till today about OLEDs price every month.so its better if we not go in to that debate.

q70R has FALD and is better than the frame 2020 in every aspect apart from hdmi 2.1 support but even the frame 2020 cant do 4k120hz (despite having hdmi 2.1) so that makes the frame essentially having no advantage.

Edit: The Frame 2020 might be able to do 4k120hz with proper hdmi 2.1 input but rtings wasnt able to test that so take that info with a pinch of salt.
Sorry I meant q60, not q70. I stand corrected.

Dude you asked for suggestion that why i suggested frame because you were reluctant to spend 1lac.buy whatever you want.

Also how do know BX will not be 1.1L.based how many years of your experience?I can tell you from C7 till today about OLEDs price every month.so its better if we not go in to that debate.
I appreciate the suggestion but you just disregarded the difference between a FALD tv and an edge lit tv which is why I questioned it.

Regarding BX pricing, the only reason I think it will be higher this year because the current pricing of BX and CX series (atleast online) is very high compared to previous years. Offline rates may be better but I dont have idea about them. And yes I dont want to get into a debate about them, because I dont religiously follow tv pricing.

Even though I know nothing can come close to PQ of OLEDs. I can see countless posts online about people playing games like FIFA (which I play a lot of) on OLEDs having to play with static content like huds turned off in fear of burn in. Even rtings oled burn in test showed problems with fifa. I don't want to spend so much and live in fear of burn in rather than enjoying games how I want them to/how they are meant to be played.

I appreciate the suggestion but you just disregarded the difference between a FALD tv and an edge lit tv which is why I questioned it.

Regarding BX pricing, the only reason I think it will be higher this year because the current pricing of BX and CX series (atleast online) is very high compared to previous years. Offline rates may be better but I dont have idea about them. And yes I dont want to get into a debate about them, because I dont religiously follow tv pricing.

Even though I know nothing can come close to PQ of OLEDs. I can see countless posts online about people playing games like FIFA (which I play a lot of) on OLEDs having to play with static content like huds turned off in fear of burn in. Even rtings oled burn in test showed problems with fifa. I don't want to spend so much and live in fear of burn in rather than enjoying games how I want them to/how they are meant to be played.
I'm honestly surprised at some of the advices you are getting here. You seem to understand TVs well enough, so just go with your instinct and pick q70r or x9000h, whichever comes cheaper. I would advice looking up at r/4ktv on Reddit as well. For what it is worth I have a x9500g and I have tested switching off FALD and can tell you that FALD improves picture quality quite a lot.

If HDR movies is your priority then do check it out at a store. I don't think you'll find it bright enough for HDR. At least for the price.

I checked it out on the weekend and Q70T in the store seemed brighter than x9000h. I didn't like either though.

And it technically still does not do HDMI 2.1 and OTA updates can usually be compromised. Suggest you wait if gaming is a requirement and get a TV which actually has HDMI 2.1 out of the box.

I've been playing games on my C9 OLED since Oct last year and i haven't seen anything. I honestly think the burn in issue has been beaten to death already. I mean, switch between contents, let the pixel refresher run after a 4 hr movie or a gaming session and all will be will. LG's C9 and CX have reduced burn in drastically. Out of curiosity, are any of those posts on C9 and CX?

Honestly, i see a lot of confused people in this forum who want OLED, and then throw burn in when OLED is suggested and also want all the high end specs that come with the OLED. I mean, for under 1L, you get what you pay for.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back