Can't decide on a 55" TV for Next-Gen Gaming and HDR Movies....Please help!

I've been playing games on my C9 OLED since Oct last year and i haven't seen anything. I honestly think the burn in issue has been beaten to death already. I mean, switch between contents, let the pixel refresher run after a 4 hr movie or a gaming session and all will be will. LG's C9 and CX have reduced burn in drastically. Out of curiosity, are any of those posts on C9 and CX?

Honestly, i see a lot of confused people in this forum who want OLED, and then throw burn in when OLED is suggested and also want all the high end specs that come with the OLED. I mean, for under 1L, you get what you pay for.
My fears are over long term usage. A TV is something I don't plan on upgrading for atleast 6-7 years.

Regarding the ports all 2019 and 2020 oleds by LG have hdmi 2.1 ports.

If HDR movies is your priority then do check it out at a store. I don't think you'll find it bright enough for HDR. At least for the price.

I checked it out on the weekend and Q70T in the store seemed brighter than x9000h. I didn't like either though.

And it technically still does not do HDMI 2.1 and OTA updates can usually be compromised. Suggest you wait if gaming is a requirement and get a TV which actually has HDMI 2.1 out of the box.
I guess I will have to go to a store and have a look for myself then.

I want to have a new TV by the time I get my hands on a next gen console which I most probably will latest by December.

My fears are over long term usage. A TV is something I don't plan on upgrading for atleast 6-7 years.

Regarding the ports all 2019 and 2020 oleds by LG have hdmi 2.1 ports.
I meant "POSTS", not ports.
You mentioned that you saw a lot of FIFA players complain of Burn-in at the HUD location. Did they specify which TV it was? Was it LG? If so, which model of LG to be specific?

As long as there arn't any excessive DTH usage, you should be fine.

I meant "POSTS", not ports.
You mentioned that you saw a lot of FIFA players complain of Burn-in at the HUD location. Did they specify which TV it was? Was it LG? If so, which model of LG to be specific?

As long as there arn't any excessive DTH usage, you should be fine.
Sorry I misread it as ports. Just google "fifa oled burn in" you'll see many posts from reddit and eaforums. Also rtings tested an lg oled with fifa 18 and it started to show burn in relatively early (That was an older model c8 or c7 though I think)

Sorry I misread it as ports. Just google "fifa oled burn in" you'll see many posts from reddit and eaforums. Also rtings tested an lg oled with fifa 18 and it started to show burn in relatively early (That was an older model c8 or c7 though I think)
Yea bro, I think its best for you to either wait till 2021 models come out, or go with X900H ( firmware update will definitely come ). It doesn't really look like you can take proper care of the OLED TVs. So, stick with LCD tvs only. OLEDs without some care, won't last you 6-7 years. period.

Most of the burn in related issues are on older OLED's. The risk of Burn-In has been reduced drastically since C9. @Marakk - Wanna pitch in here?

Samsung is providing 10 year burn in warranty in all their TVs.. :p
Really a king of buzzwords!
LCD panels can suffer from bad image retention. My LG IPS monitor went from minor image retention after 1 year of use to corner 1/2 inch on all 4 sides turning completely orange/pink/red (depending on content) after just 2 years of use. Had to get the panel replaced (under warranty, so free!). Now, that's still not permanent burn-in and goes away after you don't use it for 5-6 hours, but comes back if you just use it for a few minutes.

Attaching a pic of how it was. The image is supposed to be purely grey. Don't mind the weird image in the middle, that's just my reflection with the keyboard on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_180406.jpg
    IMG_20200806_180406.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 17
OLEDs are pinnacle of PQ in dark.Its meant for watching good quality 4k HDR movies and tv shows in dark.If you using primarily for it then no chance of burn-in or say extremely unlikely.

even if you are playing the same game for 1500 hrs every year still it will last you 5+ years. How many of us going to play the same game every day for 5 hrs for the next 5 years?

It not meant to watch dth or with 10 lights on or in a very bright room spoiling the blacks.Its not a magic.buy tv according to your need.

Go for an lg oled tv, even the basic model will do.
Pros - much cheaper than sony for 80-90% of the performance.
No oled burn in - using mine 3 years.
Deepest blacks even with subtitles turned on
Airmotion remote.
2 way bluetooth.
Cons
Webos is not android or not even close.
Not as Bright as led backlit tvs.

You've never met a FIFA player, have you?
Lol.but the version will change right?FIFA 21 then 22 so on.so the logo position will change? right.Anyways no idea about FIFA.I am light gamer(pun intended). played GOW and Uncharted series and GTA.But not much gaming nowdays.

Lol.but the version will change right?FIFA 21 then 22 so on.so the logo position will change? right.Anyways no idea about FIFA.I am light gamer(pun intended). played GOW and Uncharted series and GTA.But not much gaming nowdays.
I still won't change that much. The rtings test showed that even a generic shape of news anchors got burned-in. So even if the logo is close by, it'll burn in like a blurred shape.

And even if new versions come in, it's not necessary they'll upgrade to the new one every year. It's an extra cost after all and the changes are fairly minimal.

I still won't change that much. The rtings test showed that even a generic shape of news anchors got burned-in. So even if the logo is close by, it'll burn in like a blurred shape.

And even if new versions come in, it's not necessary they'll upgrade to the new one every year. It's an extra cost after all and the changes are fairly minimal.
yeah i have checked fifa 18,19,20,21 etc.The EA sports logo is similarly placed if not identical.also there is a big score bar on top left.

Still i feel Newer OLEDs should last at least 5 years with 1500hrs/year of gaming.If you play games more than that the dont get OLED.

yeah i have checked fifa 18,19,20,21 etc.The EA sports logo is similarly placed if not identical.also there is a big score bar on top left.

Still i feel Newer OLEDs should last at least 5 years with 1500hrs/year of gaming.If you play games more than that the dont get OLED.
Also the player position map hud bottom center of the display will be visible always at the same spot.

Called up a lot of stores/retailers today to get best quotes for some TVs, these are the best deals I have been offered:
1) Samsung Q70R 55inch - 88k after cashback with 1+2 year warranty and free 1 year accidental damage insurance with 2500rs samsung store voucher
2) Sony X9000H 55inch - 96k after cashback with 1+1 warranty and 2500rs sony store voucher and some sony headphones (whose mrp is around 4500).

The Frame 2020 55inch is available for around 79k after cashback on flipkart and samsung store.

Extremely confused which one to go for :(

Last edited:
Called up a lot of stores/retailers today to get best quotes for some TVs, these are the bet deals I have been offered:
1) Samsung Q70R 55inch - 88k after cashback with 1+2 year warranty and free 1 year accidental damage insurance with 2500rs samsung store voucher
2) Sony X9000H 55inch - 96k after cashback with 1+1 warranty and 2500rs sony store voucher and some sony headphones (whose mrp is around 4500).

The Frame 2020 55inch is available for around 79k after cashback on flipkart and samsung store.

Extremely confused which one to go for :(
Q70R is definitely worth 9k over the Frame. Just that it won't do 4k 120hz which you have to decide if it's a dealbreaker. Personally I don't think that matters since the new consoles won't do more than 4k 60fps for most games. It's a FALD.

Sony is good as well but much more expensive.

Frame is 76k if you have an SBI credit card I believe.

Q70R is definitely worth 9k over the Frame. Just that it won't do 4k 120hz which you have to decide if it's a dealbreaker. Personally I don't think that matters since the new consoles won't do more than 4k 60fps for most games. It's a FALD.

Sony is good as well but much more expensive.

Frame is 76k if you have an SBI credit card I believe.
4k 60 / 1440p120 is enough for me but there are total 3 things holding me back from pulling the trigger on Q70R:
a) No clarity on if PS5 will support VRR on Freesync/HDMI 2.0b VRR (because PS4 pro didnt and xbox one x did)
b) Online forums are full of people complaining about ghosting issues while gaming on Q70R
c) No dolby vision (not a huge deal though)

The cashback offer I am getting on Q70R will last till november end so I can potentially wait till then hoping that the 2 stores that had brand new units of this TV dont sell out by the time someone tests PS5 with HDMI 2.0b VRR tvs.

And the cashback offer on X9000H is pretty standard and similar offer should be available around november end also I guess.

Regarding the frame, flipkart for some reason shows 55inch variant as out of stock for my pincode always, so I can only buy the frame from samsung website so I cant avail the SBI offer. (This will most likely go out of stock soon/go back to normal price of 85k and wont be available around november end)

I will probably wait longer till things about the ps5 become clearer including how many games will even run at 120hz and not rush my decision to save a few thousand for a device that I plan to keep for at least 6-7 years.

Last edited:
4k 60 / 1440p120 is enough for me but there are total 3 things holding me back from pulling the trigger on Q70R:
a) No clarity on if PS5 will support VRR on Freesync/HDMI 2.0b VRR (because PS4 pro didnt and xbox one x did)
b) Online forums are full of people complaining about ghosting issues while gaming on Q70R
c) No dolby vision (not a huge deal though)

The cashback offer I am getting on Q70R will last till november end so I can potentially wait till then hoping that the 2 stores that had brand new units of this TV dont sell out by the time someone tests PS5 with HDMI 2.0b VRR tvs.

And the cashback offer on X9000H is pretty standard and similar offer should be available around november end also I guess.

Regarding the frame, flipkart for some reason shows 55inch variant as out of stock for my pincode always, so I can only buy the frame from samsung website so I cant avail the SBI offer. (This will most likely go out of stock soon/go back to normal price of 85k and wont be available around november end)

I will probably wait longer till things about the ps5 become clearer including how many games will even run at 120hz and not rush my decision to save a few thousand for a device that I plan to keep for at least 6-7 years
Wait for the consoles to launch and buy a TV which supports them. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of complaints when the consoles launch. New standards, new problems.

I've also decided to wait till early next year. I would have jumped the gun if there were any great offers. But looking at the current sale don't think there's a steal deal anywhere.

I thought Diwali sales were crazy with TV and other appliances. But don't see anything drastically different. Just reduce 2k from rhe regular price and then compute the discount from MRP to shout 50% off :p

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back