Cheap amplifier to get started with DIY

ubitoo

Trying to get hands on with audio. Looking for a cheap amplifier (cheap as in ~ INR 5-8K) to experiment with some full-range drivers and 2-way builds. It is okay if it is not branded but would prefer something encased with proper connectors as against raw boards.

If sound signature is really an option in this price range, warm would be the preference.

Thanks! :)

Two best sratystartinging points in my opinion would be @shaan 's peeceebee v4 and @Aniket 's DD amp. Simple yet amazing designs with brilliant performance. The support provided by both is unmatched. Reach out to them and pick your tonic.

MaSh

Thanks!
Are these "noob safe"? I have zero knowledge about electronics that go into an amp and safety measures needed when dealing with raw builds. Therefore the preference for encased ones.

The DIY focus will be on speakers and amps are just needed to drive them.

Thanks!
Are these "noob safe"? I have zero knowledge about electronics that go into an amp and safety measures needed when dealing with raw builds. Therefore the preference for encased ones.

The DIY focus will be on speakers and amps are just needed to drive them.

Hehe, welcome to the club. I am a total Noob too. Having used both these designs, I would suggest you start with DD amp and then if you wish also try the V4. The reason being DD amp has a power supply, heatsinks, speaker protection circuits built-in. So it is a single amp board. You just need to connect it to a Transformer and you are done. V4 needs an additional power supply board and speaker protection boards. Shaan has his own power supply board with speaker protection built it. Both amps come fully populated, V4 can be had unpopulated if you wish to do it yourself.

Both these amps will need a preamp. Aniket has a matching preamp which is considered really good, although it doesn't come with a remote or input selection. Input selection can be added, remote No. I chose Acoustic Portrait preamp which comes with a remote.

Reach out to both of them. They are really helpful and will guide you to the end.

MaSh

Discrete Dynamics is infect very easy to build. It can also be provided fully built with preamp and source selector inside a cab. You will not need any upgrade in near future.

Regards
Sachin

Discrete Dynamics is infect very easy to build. It can also be provided fully built with preamp and source selector inside a cab. You will not need any upgrade in near future.

Regards
Sachin

Any pictures (surely some FMs must be using them :))? Also any place (webpage) to lookup specs?

Any pictures (surely some FMs must be using them :))? Also any place (webpage) to lookup specs?

Regards
Sachin

I strongly second the recommendations for PeeCeeBee V4 (50W) or V4H (150W) or Discrete Dynamics 75 or 120W amps.

Get yourself the Discrete Dynamics preamp PAM12 to drive any of the above power amp options.

You'll end up with very good sound with any of the above combo. Don't go for some cheap amp as you'll soon want to upgrade it anyway.

Thanks! Going to explore further about the recommendations here. Hopefully, can arrive at a decision soon. :)

Do note that usually, the power supply and chassis cost more than the amp & electronics.
Discrete Dynamics has onboard power supply and protection circuit. The heatsinks are also premounted on PCB. He will only need to buy a suitable transformer and a chassis without a heatsinks. That won't cost much.

Regards
Sachin

Both peeceebee and discrete dynamics are excellent amps . But I doubt it will be with in the budget you mentioned . They may come close to 15k when fully built . Both are excellent amps . I think you have to add a pre for these two not sure if it will work without pre .

Both peeceebee and discrete dynamics are excellent amps . But I doubt it will be with in the budget you mentioned . They may come close to 15k when fully built . Both are excellent amps . I think you have to add a pre for these two not sure if it will work without pre .

Yes, preamp needed. Discrete Dynamics PAM12 preamp highly recommended. I really like it.

Discrete Dynamics has onboard power supply and protection circuit. The heatsinks are also premounted on PCB. He will only need to buy a suitable transformer and a chassis without a heatsinks. That won't cost much.

Regards
Sachin
Fair enough. But it'll still be about 5 to 6k for that.

Just wanted to follow-up that on account of professional compulsions need to postpone my DIY adventures. Hopefully, can get back to it soon. Thanks all!

On a side note: I had a chance to listen to some really cheap (< 5K) unbranded amplifiers. Other than them sounding bright (subjective) and (as expected) distorting as the volume goes significantly up, they really aren't as bad from SQ perspective as my prejudices had me believe. Seems like amplifiers are a commodity and we are often paying a pretty significant premium for branding and overall desktop presentation and not always for the sound.

Having said that, not putting them anywhere close to expensive speakers even if the fear is irrational. :D

I strongly second the recommendations for PeeCeeBee V4 (50W) or V4H (150W) or Discrete Dynamics 75 or 120W amps.

Get yourself the Discrete Dynamics preamp PAM12 to drive any of the above power amp options.

You'll end up with very good sound with any of the above combo. Don't go for some cheap amp as you'll soon want to upgrade it anyway.
How does Shaan Peeceebee V4 and Aniket Class A pre sound?
Read good reviews of DD amp with class A pre.Need to know about said combo.

For a budget of 5 to 6k, he will have to use tpa3118 boards or an Allo.com digital amp board. Both, the V4H and DD will be way beyond in cost. Their trafos alone will cost 3k !!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back