Cleaned up My Nad 602 cassette Deck

raghukanthjoshi

Hi All,

Just wanted to update that I have cleaned up my nad 602 casstette deck with WD40 and has come out well, after cleaning up have sun dried it for 2 hours and no greese marks all cleaned up well unfortunately forgot to capture pre cleaning but was filled up with dirt. I have just powered it on works haven't played any cassette it should have SQ improvement as well :) will keep you guys posted. PFA images post cleanup thought will be usefull for others on similar lines.

Regards
Raghu

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_132226.jpg
    IMG_20210512_132226.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210512_132234.jpg
    IMG_20210512_132234.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210512_132230.jpg
    IMG_20210512_132230.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 68
WD40 is NOT meant to be used on electronics. It is conductive, acidic, and leaves a fine residue you can't see on the board.

WD40 is meant to be used as a lubricant on mechanical parts such as hinges, locks etc.

The same company has a special version for electronics components.

Cheers.

I have used Isopropyl Alcohol and found it to be safe (but avoid using it on rubber parts if any, on the circuit board).

Bit off topic, talking of which, there are videos that show up on YouTube where guys go to scrap yards or rubbish dumps, pick up electronics and restore them. They use some ridiculous ways of cleaning the boards which is quite hilarious actually. Here is an example:

Bit off topic, talking of which, there are videos that show up on YouTube where guys go to scrap yards or rubbish dumps, pick up electronics and restore them. They use some ridiculous ways of cleaning the boards which is quite hilarious actually
I have seen such videos. Not only their cleaning job is shocking, they usually get vintage equipments lying here and there in their locality :D:D:D:D. And after seeing these, I am searching for vintage equipment in "Jhari Ke Piche" (Behind the Bushes) :p;):D. But alas! I still did not found any, My bad luck :(

I have cleaned up my nad 602 casstette deck with WD40
This might be the first example for me to see WD40 as a deck cleaning agent, especially on electronics parts. Basically, WD40 is a liquid desiccator cum lubricant. Its full form is "Water Displacement agent no 40". Its primary use is to remove rust from moving metal joints and subsequently lubricate them.

Anyway, enough theory. If you are happy with the result, then it is good for you.

Sound quality has improved little bit after cleaning
Did you get the improvement of sound by cleaning the electronic components at first? Then you cleaned the Head and achieved more improvements in the sound?

This might be the first example for me to see WD40 as a deck cleaning agent, especially on electronics parts. Basically, WD40 is a liquid desiccator cum lubricant. Its full form is "Water Displacement agent no 40". Its primary use is to remove rust from moving metal joints and subsequently lubricate them.

Anyway, enough theory. If you are happy with the result, then it is good for you.

Did you get the improvement of sound by cleaning the electronic components at first? Then you cleaned the Head and achieved more improvements in the sound?
Agree its a lubricant and I got this suggestion from a mechanic who was using this on his suggestion I dared enough to do this and it worked well see sound improvement and eliminates noise. Important point is first clean board with clean cloth and sundry it enough that the Greese part on board is not there and board is clean. Iam lazy to clean the cabinet with cloth :) so could not clean it on the cabinet

Nice work done.
To clean PCB, first use blower to clean dust. Then use IPA of good quality to clean corrosions.One technician suggested me to use thinner as diluted IPA may not be good choice.

I have seen such videos. Not only their cleaning job is shocking, they usually get vintage equipments lying here and there in their locality :D:D:D:D. And after seeing these, I am searching for vintage equipment in "Jhari Ke Piche" (Behind the Bushes) :p;):D. But alas! I still did not found any, My bad luck :(
Not sure about other parts of India but here in Trivandrum, I have seen several goodies lying at waste-paper and scrap shops. Sometimes, once can find the odd CRT Tv, Bike or Scooter lying abandoned at the side of roads. Of course, I have known of folks getting military communications equipment, studio equipment, broadcast equipment, etc from these types of scrap shops in cities that feature these sources :). Once while dropping off some old news papers, books, etc at one of these shops, my little son picked up an old PCB lying in the dirt covered with mud. It is only when we reached home that we discovered that he had picked it up from the roadside just outside the shop. While I told him to throw it away, he ended up washing it under the tap and my wife helped him with some dish washing detergent. It turned out to be a PCB from an old tape recorder and I was able to salvage all its parts, including the TBA810 IC. All these parts were repurposed later on, when my son made a small mp3 player and everything worked :)

Sorry for the off-topic post. It is quite interesting to read through the opinions. From practical experience, wd40 is not all that bad. In some cases, it is really good for cleaning corrosion. Actually speaking, when one runs into really corroded or filthy PCBs, wd40 works best. What I do in such cases is, I clean the board properly with wd40, let it all dry for a day and then run another clearing round with isopropyl alcohol. I've never had any problems with this approach. There are various products badged as contact cleaner, switch cleaner, etc that are available in the local market here but i have found that wd40 works better than these. It is hard to match the capabilities of wd40 :)

Last edited:
Wurth markets 2 types of electrical/electronic contact cleaner. One type is very similar to Deoxit D5 (I was using this earlier), the other type has Cleaner with a mild lubricant.

Also Deoxit usually is not available in India most of the sites they are imported and as i searched other cleaners which are available I suspect they have lubricant added in it don't see one brand strongly recommended hence I chose wd40 which was suggested by someone who has used it for long time

Not sure about other parts of India but here in Trivandrum, I have seen several goodies lying at waste-paper and scrap shops. Sometimes, once can find the odd CRT Tv, Bike or Scooter lying abandoned at the side of roads. Of course, I have known of folks getting military communications equipment, studio equipment, broadcast equipment, etc from these types of scrap shops in cities that feature these sources :). Once while dropping off some old news papers, books, etc at one of these shops, my little son picked up an old PCB lying in the dirt covered with mud. It is only when we reached home that we discovered that he had picked it up from the roadside just outside the shop. While I told him to throw it away, he ended up washing it under the tap and my wife helped him with some dish washing detergent. It turned out to be a PCB from an old tape recorder and I was able to salvage all its parts, including the TBA810 IC. All these parts were repurposed later on, when my son made a small mp3 player and everything worked :)

Sorry for the off-topic post. It is quite interesting to read through the opinions. From practical experience, wd40 is not all that bad. In some cases, it is really good for cleaning corrosion. Actually speaking, when one runs into really corroded or filthy PCBs, wd40 works best. What I do in such cases is, I clean the board properly with wd40, let it all dry for a day and then run another clearing round with isopropyl alcohol. I've never had any problems with this approach. There are various products badged as contact cleaner, switch cleaner, etc that are available in the local market here but i have found that wd40 works better than these. It is hard to match the capabilities of wd40 :)
Great thanks for briefing on your experience !!

Back