Creation of a Huge Sound-Stage.

suri

after reading all the recent post - i have cause to be confused-

for the creation of - " a huge and believable sound-stage during reproduction of the recorded event"-

what is important - and how does one make the least mistakes?

-the source?

-the amplification?

-the interconnects?

-the room?

-the right mood?

-lack of spousal interference?

i know all are important - but -

what are the thoughts of forum members?

TIA

suri,ur setup has such a wonderful soundstage!!!!!!the way it fills ur "naalu kettu" courtyard is more than just impressive!!damn,these consumate DIY-ers :mad:.heh.oops,forgot that u r on a quest ;).the stuff of indiana jones....:eek:hyeah:.cheers

after reading all the recent post - i have cause to be confused-

for the creation of - " a huge and believable sound-stage during reproduction of the recorded event"-

what is important - and how does one make the least mistakes?

-the source?

-the amplification?

-the interconnects?

-the room?

-the right mood?

-lack of spousal interference?

i know all are important - but -

what are the thoughts of forum members?

TIA

The recording :sad:
unfortunately the recording engineer is the true artist and for "Reality" need to know exactly what he had in mind...which is the main problem
Everything else is either make-believe or delusions of an active audiophile mind ;)

In my personal experience the placement of the speakers ie Toe in, distance from back and side walls and some kind of a treatment to ensure reflections are dissipated or absorbed make great soundstages (Real or make believe).

problem is every component including ICs (maybe speaker cables make the least impact) impact the stage.
. but of course there are some who dont believe a soundstage is not that important as long as it is formed between the speakers and each instrument is spatially distinguishable ;)

Everything else is either make-believe or delusions of an active audiophile mind

arj,..how true :p.loved the way u put that!!

My humble and novice opinion is that the most important factor for a huge holographic soundstage is proper room acoustic treatment followed closely by speaker placement. Regarding room treatment the best results I have seen for a great soundstage are Live end Dead end type of treatment. Room dimensions also are very important as is the listening position. I consider equipment secondary to all of the above.
Cheers
Sid

My humble and novice opinion is that the most important factor for a huge holographic soundstage is proper room acoustic treatment followed closely by speaker placement. Regarding room treatment the best results I have seen for a great soundstage are Live end Dead end type of treatment. Room dimensions also are very important as is the listening position. I consider equipment secondary to all of the above.
Cheers
Sid

I think you are being too humble aren't you? :) you are hardly a novice sir!
My experience is also similar, all components need to pass through this type is soundstage, however speakers and their placement are most crucial, single drivers usually have the best followed by coherent sources. Multi way non coherent drivers come last. Drive of each source into their sink components also matter

cheers

Suri
IME it's more to do with speaker placement, room and room treatment. With my speakers i get big & 3D sounstage with speakers drawn inside the room with at least 4.5-5 ft from the back wall.
Regards

adding on.. if you dont get a soundstage inspite of proper placements, there is something wrong with one or some of the components.
Of course there are some basic things like
1. in Western classical misuc there is a "standard" order of Violins to the left and front etc etc.
2. Typically most vocals are centered (or slightly centered) with instruments behind it
3. most sounds should be pin pointed ot one area well and heinggt should be "logical" eg drums 6 feet in the air would most probably mean the speakers need to be tipped down a bit (in mm scale)
etc etc.

I have found the wodth and the separation change even by changes to ICs/ Vibration control as well.. and these are not subtle changes. so all these factors also add in. but very often its difficult to trade this as an upgrade as it could also improve with a decrese in something like Bass weight etc..which may not seem like an upgrade for all.

BlindMenandElephant.jpg

I believe mainly on amplifiers and the most important on speakers. I heard through mark lavinson pow amp nordost int and the same brand spe wire bryston pre with dali mentor 2 on really good diy stand in one of our forum member bass treble home. Wide dispersement of sound huge sound stage where ever you sit. I did not feel to toe in or out the speaker so was the sound stage. And the next is, room and its acoustic too. Like the place ment of speakers listener sitting position also deciding factor . Carpetting and roofing also deciding factor. Again again i confirm matching is the best. My vintage lux pre with marantz cd 4000 boman power thr cable talk wire and ca int thr ms avant 904i gives huge sound stage. Even though i follow manysystem this simple system of mine invite me to hear through. So simply matching experience will do. Cheers suri.

Hi Suriji,

Hope u had your fill of Juicy mangoes this season!! I cant forget the crazy sakubai & mangoes post of yours on some thread a while ago:D

I think the room (size & shape) and the positioning of the loudspeaker is of paramount significance if one is expecting a realistic soundstage.
All else is secondary.
Most of us living in apartments in metros struggle to really get the best out of our HIFI for lack of space. I guess people like yourself can expect great (realistic) soundstaging and extract the maximum from your gear simply because of the abundant area available( seen in your pics)

Rgds

Hi din, just i follow your threads and replies, do you feel any difference between ic and balance xlr. What s the difference? Hope you might have experienced. How s accuphase is it class a. It is gorgeous product of asian continent i feel. Mercedes of asia isnt it?

I think you are being too humble aren't you? :) you are hardly a novice sir!

cheers

Hi Sridhar - In the area of acoustics, unfortunately I am still a novice, hence my comment;). A few years back I took an entry level course on acoustics in a local community college (like a first year bachelors course) and did learn a lot of theory there but whatever little knowledge I have came from listening to setups - mind you not at audio shows (where they have the worst possible acoustics) but of real listening rooms wherein it was abundantly clear that acoustic treatment of some sort is very important. My most memorable experience as I have oft mentioned was in a professionally ASC treated room using the LEDE principal and with the Harbeth HLS5 speakers that were pulled into the room at-least 5-6' - the soundstaging and imaging I heard that day was the best ever even with these $5k speakers, easily surpassing that of some $50-60k speakers I have heard and IMO the credit is entirely due to the placement and room treatment.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Cheers
Sid

Pray what is live and dead end type of treatment? Now I am curious... :)

Cheers

For 4 months I parked my Dynaudio Audience 122 in every possible place in the room.I was moving them around at least once a day.Tried moving them closer and nearer to side walls.Plugged the ports with foam plugs,tightened and loosened spikes and once in desperation removed the spikes.Changed amp/cd player/inter connects.Nothing worked.With the Vienna Acoustic I simply went with the accompanying manual on placement---firing down the length of the room,15% distance from the side walls,70% between the speakers.Hint of a toe-in.They sound so good that I have never given placement a thought again.Moral of the story.With the right speakers everything else falls into place.

Pray what is live and dead end type of treatment? Now I am curious... :)

Cheers

LEDE is wherein the speaker plane is damped with absorption upuntil the first/second reflection points (which is the dead end) and the listener plane, especially behind the listener is treated with diffusers (which is the live end). Room corners are treated with bass traps.
Cheers
Sid

Sidvee
Next time you are here, you must come to our showroom, its now completely revamped with LEDE treatment but with our own small changes...:)

Hi Suriji,

Hope u had your fill of Juicy mangoes this season!! I cant forget the crazy sakubai & mangoes post of yours on some thread a while ago:D

I think the room (size & shape) and the positioning of the loudspeaker is of paramount significance if one is expecting a realistic soundstage.
All else is secondary.
Most of us living in apartments in metros struggle to really get the best out of our HIFI for lack of space. I guess people like yourself can expect great (realistic) soundstaging and extract the maximum from your gear simply because of the abundant area available( seen in your pics)

Rgds

hehehe!!! - dinyaar - good alphonsa('s!!) mangoes this season yes - juicy! - and during this hot season some of the younger (boys) get confused about which mangoes are to be sampled - and which to be avoided - and most land up with the aunt's!

yes - i have experimented with my setup - in different parts of the house - and the sound stage expands and becomes smaller in separate locations -
to my surprise - in one of the larger rooms - the sound-stage became smaller.

i must visit the ARN systems showroom and experience the effect that Sridhar has effected.

regds suri

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back