Dali Zensor 5 vs KEF Q500

subirnag

I plan to buy some stuff t o listen to good music. I also thought of adding some movie capability. Although not sure of the satellites yet, as cabling may be tough at my rented place. I have zeroed on Denon AVR 1912 as the electronics. And I plan to have floorstanding L/R, with a central, and an active sub. Friends said that it'll be foolish not to take a centre if i am buying a 7.1.

Now for speakers, I am torn between Dali Zensor 5 and KEF Q500. I have auditioned Dali Ikon 7 but not Zensor, but Ikon 7 is just stretching my budget. But its a great speaker. Have also listened to KEF 500. Sounded a bit on higher frequency side, although overall good. Auditioned Polk TSI 500 (I guess, forgetting the model no.). Not great, especially at lower.

My range of music is wide. Hindustani classical, Hindi retro, jazz, western classical and rock (much lesser though). And daughter listens to a lot of pop and rap and all the contemporary stuff.

Can I have some suggestions about the speaker.

Oh, my budget is 1.5 - 1.7, incl the AVR.

since you are in Mumbai, Please look at the Polk RTi A7 and above ( at ProFx ) , also the Dali Lektor series ( not as expensive as the Ikon FS ).

I assume your room size is large enough for Floor standers.

regards,
mpw

tried to PM you but could not get the link..

i have put my subwoofer for sale. Since you are looking at Floor speakers, the sub may be useful to you for Home Theater ( when you watch movies ). Take a look and pm me if interested.

thanks,
mpw

Hello Friends,

I am posting under this thread as I too am in same dilemma!
I have bought Yamaha AVR rxv-677 and narrowed down my search for FS speakers to following:-

- Dali Zensor 5/7 series
- Kef Q500

Any suggestions on the choice that I have made? I am mainly looking for 70% music and rest will be for movies and normal TV stuff.
Till now I haven't auditioned these FS and will be auditioning them over this weekend. But any other suggestions at this point in time, pls share.

Also I have been quoted following price in Bangalore
- Dali Zensor 5 - 49K
- Dali Zensor 7 - 69K
- Kef Q500 - 70K

Is this price correct, especially for KEF?

Hello Friends,

I have bought Yamaha AVR rxv-677 and narrowed down my search for FS speakers to following:-

- Dali Zensor 5/7 series
- Kef Q500
?
Dali pairs well with Yamaha.Also easy to drive than Kef.Just take Demo as sound signature of them is little different.

All
I am a proud owner of Kef 700.I had auditioned Kef500.
I have not heard DALI and it is not available in my location.
I am not quiet sure about DALI Ikon or Dali Sensor.

Kef is the prefect choice for classical, any music where you want to enjoy vocals throughly....even mid & low range is good. Initially I had Polk and I was getting a thin modulated vocals.....For KEF the mids are little forward and you may feel the singers are singing right in front of you.

There are other advantages with Kef...like is it easy to drive and does not vary the strength as the angle changes...this is their unique speciality called Uni-Q Array.
In kef the tweeter are placed within the mid range speakers to bring the originality.

Check out the below link:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dVHUSqMuOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vixFM6gwBFQ

You will certianly understand why KEF is so unique. For smaller rooms, Kef will try to send the waves in all the directions and audience sittiing in any angle or direction will have same experience.

Thanks,
danish

Last edited:
- Dali Zensor 5 - 49K
- Dali Zensor 7 - 69K
Is this price correct

Prices similar to what I got last august.

does not vary the strength as the angle changes...this is their unique speciality called Uni-Q Array.
In kef the tweeter are placed within the mid range speakers to bring the originality.<snip> will try to send the waves in all the directions and audience sittiing in any angle or direction will have same experience.

I am sure that the speakers are very good and listening to music on them is very enjoyable.

However I would not get too carried away too far by marketing weasel words :indifferent14:

Higher frequencies are directional while lower frequencies radiate in all directions.

That will hold for any speaker.

And how are you required to position such speakers ? Or is no diligence required.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/52412-speakers-one-yet-another-4.html#post602654

And finally it is your room which decides how good (or not) speakers sound where you listen to them.

ciao
gr

The dispersion of the high frequencies using the UniQ Array is much larger.
Not that these speakers can be put at any angle, but for an angle the coverage is much higher. The greater the distance from the speaker, the difference in the strength almost none. The UniQ Array makes use of Tangerine waveguide to achieve this. I tested this out on first audition on Q500 & Q700, I was pretty impressed on the same.

Thanks guys for your inputs! I will update you soon after auditioning.
My main problem is that I bought my AVR from US and it is impossible to carry it along with step down transformer :).

At this point in time, I too am biased with Kef, but considering the price, only after auditioning will decide whether to go for it or not.

Hello Friends,

- Dali Zensor 5/7 series
- Kef Q500

Any suggestions on the choice that I have made? I am mainly looking for 70% music and rest will be for movies and normal TV stuff.
Till now I haven't auditioned these FS and will be auditioning them over this weekend. But any other suggestions at this point in time, pls share.

- Dali Zensor 5 - 49K
- Dali Zensor 7 - 69K
- Kef Q500 - 70K

Is this price correct, especially for KEF?
How much did you pay for the Yamaha if you don't mind my asking? I'm interested in that same model.

Hi ,As a owner of Dali Zensor 5 ,I would say its a great VFM product .It has a very good sound stage . It is good for both music and movies . It will pair well with Denon ,also Yamaha . Regarding KEF I dont have much idea ...but heard people saying its good for music.

I think Q500 is what I will go for. Will try to manage the money somehow :)

Good thing Gourov....you will not think about upgrading the speakers for another 5 years or so......Let us know once you get your puppies...Njoi

Danish

Last edited:
I plan to buy some stuff t o listen to good music. I also thought of adding some movie capability. Although not sure of the satellites yet, as cabling may be tough at my rented place. I have zeroed on Denon AVR 1912 as the electronics. And I plan to have floorstanding L/R, with a central, and an active sub. Friends said that it'll be foolish not to take a centre if i am buying a 7.1.

Now for speakers, I am torn between Dali Zensor 5 and KEF Q500. I have auditioned Dali Ikon 7 but not Zensor, but Ikon 7 is just stretching my budget. But its a great speaker. Have also listened to KEF 500. Sounded a bit on higher frequency side, although overall good. Auditioned Polk TSI 500 (I guess, forgetting the model no.). Not great, especially at lower.

My range of music is wide. Hindustani classical, Hindi retro, jazz, western classical and rock (much lesser though). And daughter listens to a lot of pop and rap and all the contemporary stuff.

Can I have some suggestions about the speaker.

Oh, my budget is 1.5 - 1.7, incl the AVR.

Hi,
Audition Indiana line DIVA series before you buy any tower.

RKN

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back