Decision Time: Marantz 5004 or Denon 2310

angshu

Dear Sr. Boarders/ Experts:

I have been following various threads in this forum for the last 2 mnths and slowly learnt a lot abt variuos aspects of audio/ video from you guys.

I already have a 40"SONY and want to augment it with a HT setup. The spkrs has to be Sonodyne - decided, as I had a dream to own them from my childhood (1st heard them when I was 9:):)).

Lookin for your inputs on the one I should buy as AVR: Marantz 5004 or Denon 2310. Pairing them with sonodyne spks and listening is a big problem. Also, let me know if there is anything else I shd look at (my budget for AVR is 60k and hav access to any market, if you feel they are cheap there).

Rgds

Both are very good models, but not sure about which on will go better with sonodyne. Both should do well, but i recommend listening to a few other speakers like PSB, wharfedale, MS Aviano etc once b4 you buy. I think the AVR choice is overkill for the speakers.

Also look at Marantz SR6004 which is the higher model as it has 2HDMI outs, Bluetooth support and iPod compatible via USB. It should be within 50k.

I have been following various threads in this forum for the last 2 mnths and slowly learnt a lot abt variuos aspects of audio/ video from you guys.

I already have a 40"SONY and want to augment it with a HT setup. The spkrs has to be Sonodyne - decided, as I had a dream to own them from my childhood (1st heard them when I was 9:):)).

Lookin for your inputs on the one I should buy as AVR: Marantz 5004 or Denon 2310. Pairing them with sonodyne spks and listening is a big problem. Also, let me know if there is anything else I shd look at (my budget for AVR is 60k and hav access to any market, if you feel they are cheap there).

Rgds

Raghav: U told that AVR choice is an overkill for the spkrs - Pls throw some more light.

Also...I am looking @ 6004 as the US prices has gone down recently. But, what's ur take between Denon and Marantz. I am goin 2 use it for Music rather than movies in my 15*25 hall

If its mainly for music then definitely Marantz. Both 5004 and 6004 have the same SQ, only some feature differences. I got my 6004 locally for 45k grey.

By overkill I meant that the AVR would be too good for the speakers. an AVR like denon 2310 / marantz 6004 deserve better speakers than sonodyne. Of course sonodyne may have some high end stuff that I do not know of, but their regular stuff does not require such good amps.

Also if you plan to watch no movies then you can do with 2 channel amp like Marantz PM5003/6003 also.

Raghav: U told that AVR choice is an overkill for the spkrs - Pls throw some more light.

Also...I am looking @ 6004 as the US prices has gone down recently. But, what's ur take between Denon and Marantz. I am goin 2 use it for Music rather than movies in my 15*25 hall

for purely music 2 channel amp is anytime better..
but if is AVR u want then add CA650R to ur list..
for music CA comes first then marantz and then denon

I have seen both models in action and both are good for your purposes. The deciding factor apart from price boils down to the following:

- per speaker calibration - only denon has it. This will come in handy if you have placement issues or your room is odd shaped.
- no pre-outs in denon (surprisingly they took it away as the older 2809 has these). This blows my mind. If you intend to use a power amp, marantz becomes your default choice
- Full Audessey support - Denon has it and some people like it and other dont.

Rgds

I think,2310 has only front preouts?zone2

There is nothing called front pre-outs. I believe you are referring to the analogue connections to a 2nd amp for zone 2 purposes.

Note that first of all these for a different location and also they are a second method of connecting the speakers. Also there is no volume control through these connectors. You need to manage it through the second amplifier.

I have no idea about the Marantz - so cannot compare.

But when it comes to Denon, I did compare AVR-2310 vs. AVR-1910. The 2310 was more expensive by Rs. 20K. It offered 20W RMS/channel extra power and a few additional inputs. Otherwise the two AVRs were identical in features.

I thought that for the home, this extra power was not really required. Hence I chose to go with the 1910.

In my opinion, and if you choose to go with Denon, you should go seriously consider 1910 and spend the extra 20K on better speakers. Unless you have a very big hall and considering to play music/video at high volumes, the 1910 is a better choice.

There was a lot of talk about the XX10 series of Denon AVRs sounding harsher/thinner than the XX09 series....has anyone experienced this?

There was a lot of talk about the XX10 series of Denon AVRs sounding harsher/thinner than the XX09 series....has anyone experienced this?

I can help it out.
Last wk I heard Den1610 with polk sub sat & 1910 with psb BS system.
1610 was harsh & 1910 was balanced.1910 centre was not thin & vocals were good.

Thatway I can say that you need to select spk properly(avois sat) & activate cinema filter to get good dyanamic sound.
1910 was good with music too & surr really sounding sweat & real.

Last wk I heard Den1610 with polk sub sat & 1910 with psb BS system. 1610 was harsh & 1910 was balanced.1910 centre was not thin & vocals were good.

Spiro, Psychotropic was asking for difference between xx10 and the xx09 series. Not two models of the xx10 series.

Cheers

Correct,but I was trying to tell that,if it is harshness,its only relative.
I remember, you too reported 1910 as harsh,but actually it depends on spk.
I heard 1909 two times last yr & sound is similar to 1910 & not thinner as psychotropic said.
In short good spk + 1910 = Better sound.

I am getting the 6004 brought in by a friend from Seoul: warranty will not be valid but gettin it dirt cheap over there - below 25k, so no duty also:lol:.

Regarding the speakers: if all of you are sure that sonodyne is not the one then tell me what is by far the most respected match for the Marantz.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back