Demagnetizers

They are used to demagnetize tape heads right? My grandpa had one for hia tape deck that he had purchased in the late seventies...

Boy I havent seen or heard about them for about 2 decades!!!

*** rush of nostalgia *** :)

Check our ebay.com by searching for demagnetizer. Should cost about 30$ USD inc of shipping.

had seen a couple on ebay.co.uk, but have already asked too many friends to buy too many things from abroad, so if buying locally is a possibility, would rather choose that

As you are probably aware Tapes / Decks / accessories are no longer available in India . I had to purchase 4 different models for my Decks (I collect Nakamichi and other tape decks). You can use your CC to buy and ask them to ship it to India and they do with some excess charges for Int shipping.

You will need something like this

This is a ProX brand that I had bought from my local hifi dealer for 2 or 3 hundred bucks not long ago.

These could still be available. Look around old shops. They literally have treasure troves cached within their musty innards ;)

Last edited:
Take care while using with these demagnetizers lest you will end up magnetizing your head more than before. Follow the proper procedure for demagnetizing. There are a couple of videos in youtube which guide you with the correct procedure.

I build my own demagnetizer with an old tape head. I connected a audio spectrum oscillator to the tape head and played pink noise to the tape head while keeping this spare tape head directly on my Naks tape head. I increased the gain to my head from -15 db to + 0db to give the effect of slow build up of magnetism on the head and then reduced the gain of the oscillator back from +0 db to -15 db. This procedure completely demagnatized my Naks tape head and the difference after this was night and day. Check out if you can do this. Spare tape head will be available for as low as Rs.50/- in any electronics spare shop if you are lucky.
There are a couple of free downloads available for audio oscillators too.
Cheers,

My Akai Demagnitiser, you can have it if you can collect it from me.

Last edited:
Make sure that you withdraw the demagnetiser slowly and slowly away from the head to a far off distance before switching it off. Use a UPS for using the demagnetiser.

With those precautions in place - I too have a demagnetiser lying with me from Pro-X. They are needed once in a few thousand hours of playing tapes and so instead of buying, borrow from someone, use it and then return it.

Instruction sheet that came with the prox demagnatiser
img3511.jpg

Would be much obliged if someone from chennai would let me use theirs. Can bring my deck over.
If nobody responds, I'd have to take up your offer wlg. Thanks all!

Can somebody explain in plain english what these babies actually do?

The tape head which 'reads' the information on tapes get turned into a low power magnet with use. The babies turn the tape head back into non-magnetic state.

As always there is a disagreement in the audiophile world about their working. Some are of the opinion that these are not needed and the only parts that can be magnetized already have a 'bias oscillator' that prevents their magnetization.

I used to use demagnetizer.

As always there is a disagreement in the audiophile world about their working. Some are of the opinion that these are not needed and the only parts that can be magnetized already have a 'bias oscillator' that prevents their magnetization.

My dad never loved using a demagnetizer as he used to feel that there was increased tape hiss while recording. He would also never use a bulk eraser for the same reason. I always felt it was his imagination and never even bothered to think about it, but your point brought back the memories.

finally got got wlg's demagnetizer in the mail from a friend who managed to pick it up from him. a BIG thanks to WLG for letting me have it, and putting up with my friends ( the first guy who I had arranged to pick it up from him kept making appointments and cancelling, so I had to ask another one from pune)

So now to pay the favour forward, anyone in chennai who has a tape deck and thinks their machine could use a tune up, Please do let me know.

I used it on my sony machine. It's noise levels had risen after i had used a magnetized screwdriver to adjust the head alignment. Now it sounds awesome :)

Your most welcome! great to know it's being made use of instead of lying idle with me. I also gave away my old japanese Honda to my neighbour Joshua who has modified it, in fact it's featured in the mag Overdrive May.13 edition.

As wand type demagnetisers are extremely sensitive and one needs to be careful while using,anyone recommends a Cassette Demagnetiser? I am aware that TDK used to make one.

Where do you get them in india?

Any shops in ritchie which might have them? anywhere else ?

I have one Akai Japan make, which I purchased from Hongkong some time in 1986 & is still operating. It is cassete shaped electronic device. this is to be inserted like cassete in the deck-press play button & immediately release it.
It has one button cell inside.
The principle of its operation is, when you press the play button ckt. is switched on creating ac field which is applied to the head & as you release it it is switched off & the ac field dies down slowly as the capacitors discharge gradually. Pl.see the attched images.

Attachments

• WP_20141119_14_15_17_Pro (Custom).jpg
    WP_20141119_14_15_17_Pro (Custom).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 70
  • WP_20141119_14_15_51_Pro (Custom).jpg
    WP_20141119_14_15_51_Pro (Custom).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 71
  • WP_20141119_14_16_38_Pro (Custom).jpg
    WP_20141119_14_16_38_Pro (Custom).jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 69
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back