Denon 6400 + Polk RTI new setup, Need suggestions

paimpozhil

HI All,

Thank you for the support in advance, I have many questions :)

I bought a new Denon 6400 Receiver,
I have a dedicated home theater room which is 21' w x 17' l

Since it is a wide room and my seating is nearly close to the wall i.e 2 feet away, should I go with 7.2.4 ? or should I be happy with 5.2.4 or is there any other configuration that will be better suited ?

I used to have 5.1.2 and it was good enough but decided to scrap it as it was a combination of different models of speakers so they didnt go very well together.

Regards to A7 vs A9 :
I auditioned Polk in Pro fx Chennai , I liked it, initially wanted to go with RTI a7 , cs6 , 4x A3 ( real/surround pair) and 4x rc80I atmos ceiling
however now I am inclined more towards RTI A9, would Denon have enough power to do all these?or should i get an xls 2002 amp and use that for the towers if i go with A9?

Regards to Sub:
I already own a Bic America PL 200 subwoofer, I will keep this with the polk new setup but wanted to go with dual, so any suggestions here within 50k budgets?

why not change the seating position,17' w x 21'L,you will have
more space for seating and 7.1.4 will easily fit into this.

Go for 2nd sub only if required,first you have to tune yr room to
the sound in the room,.2 subs in the room only helps to eliminate the null or peak in the room,output is only doubled by 3db.

am inclined more towards RTI A9, would Denon have enough power to do all these?

Power requirements for RTI A9 ,the Amp should be able to output 50 - 500 W at 8ohms ,denon output is 140w at 8ohms for 2ch.
that should be able to drive,if you are not satisfied then go for a powerful amp.

I wanted a large screen size so we cannot change the seating position so in that case what would you suggest still a 7.x for good dolby atmos or 5.x with extra height? ?

Thank you , will go with 1 sub and no amp then add it later if needed.

I have a similar setup but not a dedicated room . I shall suggest go with rtia7 I as they are good enough to fill the room when powered correctly. Upgrade sub only when u are done with all tuning and still need more. as dedicated room has benefit of closed area where proper pressure by sound is created for you to enjoy

HI All,

Thank you for the support in advance, I have many questions :)

Since it is a wide room and my seating is nearly close to the wall i.e 2 feet away, should I go with 7.2.4 ? or should I be happy with 5.2.4 or is there any other configuration that will be better suited ?

I used to have 5.1.2 and it was good enough but decided to scrap it as it was a combination of different models of speakers so they didnt go very well together.

Regards to A7 vs A9 :
I auditioned Polk in Pro fx Chennai , I liked it, initially wanted to go with RTI a7 , cs6 , 4x A3 ( real/surround pair) and 4x rc80I atmos ceiling
however now I am inclined more towards RTI A9, would Denon have enough power to do all these?or should i get an xls 2002 amp and use that for the towers if i go with A9?

Regards to Sub:
I already own a Bic America PL 200 subwoofer, I will keep this with the polk new setup but wanted to go with dual, so any suggestions here within 50k budgets?

- With your room size you can go for 7.2.4.
- First check with single sub and then move to dual.
- Use A9 with 6400 and if you feel you lack the punch then try separate amp for the LR
Cheers

- whether you go for A7 or A9 you'd need a power amp eventually. Buy A5 if you don't want to add power amp. A7&A9 can be considered if music listening is at least 40% compared to HT usage. Whereas for HT purposes only, even A5 should be sufficiently loud for your room. Even A3 as fronts can be tried before buying the floorstanders as similar speakers all around give a good SQ for HT purposes.

- save money on front speakers and go for dual good quality subwoofers instead. RTI series slightly lack in bass department, so adding a good dual sub makes lot of sense.

- if sitting is pretty close to rear wall, adding a rear surround will not be of great advantage. 5.2.4 will be equally good in my opinion. But since your receiver supports it, and 7.2.4 is more future proof, you can go for it.

Since it is a moderately large room, please go for 7.2.4 if possible. The transition from rear to front will be even in that room with a 7 channel surround. Polk RTiA9 is a real performer, so think about dual subs only if it is needed.

HI All,

Regards to Sub:

Denon 6400 Receiver is pretty good receiver.. I think this is 11.2 receiver.. For the room size you can have 7.1 setup ( 2 surround speakers in side walls , and 2 more surrounds in back wall) .

Polk RTI A9 is a very good choice for your room size .. , If you can add external power amplifier it will outperform. RTA9 can handle till 500 watts RMS as per their specs. You can also bi-amp from your AV Receiver to boost power to speaker , check this and add external power amplifier if needed.

Your Bic America PL 200 subwoofer should be adequate to handle LFE extension , you can check pairing with RTI A9 and add one more sub if needed.

Also you can reuse your existing speakers for surround (if bookshelf speakers) /or extending the speakers to another room for listening music..

Congratulations for Denon X6400!!!
U have very good room size
No problem ,still u can do 7.2.4 ..Make the rear surround little closer to each other.
If u r willing to invest get the A9 and power it with external amp. Otherwise A7 may suffice.
Regards to Sub:

Take a subwoofer crawl for placement for intial purpose ,U can add similar model to go for dual .Similar model will offer good equalisation comparitiely.For your room size and to get smooth bass response dual sub will be good.

One more point adding external power amp will add good advantage for bigger head room and neat power to the speakers.
SInce your seating is close to the rear wall ,the front Atmos speaker can be on ceiling and the rear atmos can be heights speakers on the wall to match 55 to degree from your Main listening position.

however now I am inclined more towards RTI A9,

I already own a Bic America PL 200 subwoofer,

If you can add an other identical sub, then you can overlook the RTi A9.. YOu can settle for the largest BS in RTi A series..

Even if 17ft is the length of the room, you can still do 7.2.4 set-up..

Will the performance of external power amplifier (to AV receiver) in music equal to the performance of integrated stereo amplifier (with similar cost )

- With your room size you can go for 7.2.4.
- First check with single sub and then move to dual.
- Use A9 with 6400 and if you feel you lack the punch then try separate amp for the LR
Cheers

This sounds like a plan :) will hold the sub purchase, and use A9 with 6400 .. and hold amp purchase..

less is more :)

- whether you go for A7 or A9 you'd need a power amp eventually. Buy A5 if you don't want to add power amp. A7&A9 can be considered if music listening is at least 40% compared to HT usage. Whereas for HT purposes only, even A5 should be sufficiently loud for your room. Even A3 as fronts can be tried before buying the floorstanders as similar speakers all around give a good SQ for HT purposes.

- save money on front speakers and go for dual good quality subwoofers instead. RTI series slightly lack in bass department, so adding a good dual sub makes lot of sense.

- if sitting is pretty close to rear wall, adding a rear surround will not be of great advantage. 5.2.4 will be equally good in my opinion. But since your receiver supports it, and 7.2.4 is more future proof, you can go for it.

Yep agreed, The returns will be diminishing as soon as we go from Book shelf all the way to large floorstanders, same as the case for surround back vs just surrounds,etc however the price difference is not too much to add a A3 to back wall and I have the setup and wires ready :)

If you can add an other identical sub, then you can overlook the RTi A9.. YOu can settle for the largest BS in RTi A series..

Even if 17ft is the length of the room, you can still do 7.2.4 set-up..

Thanks for your suggestion Elangos, you are always wonderful :).
Largest bookshelf is A3 ?
I want something that is larger than that :) , for my room size the mission mx3 towers I have are looking tiny.

Will the performance of external power amplifier (to AV receiver) in music equal to the performance of integrated stereo amplifier (with similar cost )
Power Amp is added to Provide the Extra Boost to the difficult to drive Fronts, there by easing the burden on AVR.
The integrated in the same Cost will be less powerful than the Power amp so it all depends upon the quality of the integrated amp. With 2Ch Room Correction which few AVRs provide, AVR+Power may outperform the Integrated amp sometimes. But a dedicated 2Ch Integrated will be more musical if the matching is good (the variables are too many, With sensitive & matched speakers a 50wpc Integrated like Rega Brio will outperform a 100wpc Poweramp+AVR. But with Difficult to drive speakers the AVR combo will outshine, Assuming the rest of the chain to be constant & room being less intrusive).

I want something that is larger than that :) , for my room size the mission mx3 towers I have are looking tiny.
RTI A5 is one Good option, but I think A3 should be tried as fronts before taking a call.

however the price difference is not too much to add a A3 to back wall and I have the setup and wires ready
So it is 7.2.4 then , Go through Dolby Atmos Docs again before mounting ; Good luck.

Thanks @drkrack for valuable information and thanks @paimpozhil for allowing me to use this thread. One more information please. Don't want to open seperate thread for such small information.
How one can use integrated stereo amplifier as only power amplifier with AVR pre out if integrated amplifier doesn't have pre in or HTB mode.

Back