Designing A Dedicated Listening Room

While I like the idea of the windowless room, not sure why you need ventilators around the room. Any form of ventilation will get light as well as allow sound to seep through, so will be hard to control. Use an AC instead of the ventilation as basements can get hot.
Well air conditioning will be there, but I can not sit in a room without window/ventilator. I am claustrophobic :( . I want to see the light coming in.

As long as its for music, its fine. The day you use it for HT, it might be an issue. Just make sure that the ventilation has blinds/curtains that are blackout types, so you can get it absolutely dark, if needed. Of course, when you feel like you can pull it up and get natural light.

Hi all, sorry to hi-jack this thread but desperately needed advice on placement in my living room. I have a NAD326BEE hooked to Monitor Audio BX2. Mostly playing Tidal thru Airport Express.
I'm a terrible artist but I've tried to draw my current setup & room. But I am fed up with the sound. Poor imaging & detail and almost no lows until I'm pretty close to the speakers. I don't have the freedom to move things around too much but any suggestions on placement are most welcome. I'm just hearing poor tonal balance right now like the speakers are yelling at me with no depth.

Attachments

• 63D3DDE2-1F02-4DA5-B68E-DFDDF7D909D0.jpeg
    63D3DDE2-1F02-4DA5-B68E-DFDDF7D909D0.jpeg
    978.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi all, sorry to hi-jack this thread but desperately needed advice on placement in my living room. I have a NAD326BEE hooked to Monitor Audio BX2. Mostly playing Tidal thru Airport Express.
I'm a terrible artist but I've tried to draw my current setup & room. But I am fed up with the sound. Poor imaging & detail and almost no lows until I'm pretty close to the speakers. I don't have the freedom to move things around too much but any suggestions on placement are most welcome. I'm just hearing poor tonal balance right now like the speakers are yelling at me with no depth.
AFAIK a 50w amp for such a huge room may not cut it, You need at least a 100w SS amp. Use thick curtains on the windows, Place your speakers at least 6 ft apart. you may also use floor-to-ceiling curtains to partition the room while listening to music(Like the ones used in Hospital ER rooms but much thicker). You can also try some suspended acoustic clouds for the ceiling and 1-inch thick/plush carpet in the listening area.

Last edited:
Not going to happen any time soon :)

That will be there.
Hi vivek :)

Hearty congratulations on your new room. A dedicated room is a very distant dream for me.

I had saved the below article, just in case I won the lottery someday :)

Not necessary that one has to go into such depth or expense. But it definitely is a reference level read for me, when it comes to designing a 2 channel listening space. Wishing you all the best :)

P.S : just my 2 cents, we would all like a large room, but keeping it practical in size is important. Larger spaces will mean a larger investment in room treatment, larger speakers to fill the room, and bigger amplification too.

AFAIK a 50w amp for such a huge room may not cut it, You need at least a 100w SS amp. Use thick curtains on the windows, Place your speakers at least 6 ft apart. you may also use floor-to-ceiling curtains to partition the room while listening to music(Like the ones used in Hospital ER rooms but much thicker). You can also try some suspended acoustic clouds for the ceiling and 1-inch thick/plush carpet in the listening area.

Thanks rrunner but I've run this same setup previously in a much larger room and had no issues with output. Could you pls elaborate why 50wpc is insufficient. I've tried moving them further apart but the change was minor and I'm restrained to move them any further at this stage.

Hi credoh :)

Going by your depiction, your speakers are only 3.5 ft wide, I would consider that tweeter to tweeter distance. And your listening position is 8 feet away. That is way too much disparity in placement and speaker positioning. The MA's can be bright sounding. And in your present placement the treble energy is reaching you more than anything else. As higher frequencies have a lot of directivity.

In my opinion, you should increase the distance between your speakers by making them as widely placed as possible in your room. Then measure the tweeter to tweeter distance, and try placing your listening chair at the same distance from each speaker. And have a listen. If the imaging is poor, this means the speakers are too wide apart. Start moving them closer by increments of 10 cms each, till the imaging appears again.. ( however do bear in mind, that imaging is also effected by the symmetry of the room, if the room on either sides of the speakers is not symmetric, then imaging will collapse )

As the speakers are moved closer , the imaging will improve, but the sound stage will start getting smaller. You have to draw a balance between the two by your own ear, to your tastes. Angling the speakers towards your ears , or to meet a meter behind your ears will also make a difference. So the end answer, is only to play with positioning of the speakers, their angling and distance of your listening position. For a domestic room, acoustic treatment is impossible to be domestically acceptable. So all the best for the above experiments :)

Hi vivek :)

Hearty congratulations on your new room. A dedicated room is a very distant dream for me.

I had saved the below article, just in case I won the lottery someday :)

Not necessary that one has to go into such depth or expense. But it definitely is a reference level read for me, when it comes to designing a 2 channel listening space. Wishing you all the best :)

P.S : just my 2 cents, we would all like a large room, but keeping it practical in size is important. Larger spaces will mean a larger investment in room treatment, larger speakers to fill the room, and bigger amplification too.
Thanks Sir, I will go through this for sure.

Hi Vivek,
In case you have not seen this.
Enter your room dimensions and check if the red cross is in the Bolt area.
In my first try as per the dimensions 26x16x10, the red cross is not in the bolt area. Btw what is the bolt area;)

Hi Vivek,
In case you have not seen this.
Enter your room dimensions and check if the red cross is in the Bolt area.
24x16x11 moved the red cross in the bolt area. Honestly I cant deduce anything from it.

1621572780749.png

I am moving up to the second floor from basement, just beause of my personal preference for a room with windows. Not sure if this is a good idea

I am moving up to the second floor from basement, just beause of my personal preference for a room with windows. Not sure if this is a good idea
Windows are not ideal for audio. If you are building a dedicated audio room from scratch try hard to avoid windows.
However if windows are a must then ofcourse there are many options to cover those windows.

Windows are not ideal for audio. If you are building a dedicated audio room from scratch try hard to avoid windows.
However if windows are a must then ofcourse there are many options to cover those windows.
The problem with me is, I can't sit in a closed room for long, say not more than 5 minutes :) .Thats why considering moving up

The problem with me is, I can't sit in a closed room for long, say not more than 5 minutes :) .Thats why considering moving up.
Oh, I forgot about your claustrophobic condition. :)
You can also consider foldable panels as suggested by rrunner above. That link has pictures of these panels where panels have spaces between them.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back