Desparately seeking Susan !!

subro99

An appeal to all DIYers of Kolkata. :eek::eek::eek:

I work in a private concern and my office is in Bhowanipur. Currently i am stuck with Raspberry Pi model B. ( Not the new Pi2, but the old one...)

I have collected all the per-requisites, yet unable to make it sing. I have 3 individual SD cards with image file of Volumio, Rune Audio and Pi Music Box....but none was favored by my Pi.....:sad::sad::sad:

I checked all the websites and they all claim its easy and sexy - but i could not get even a single one sing from my usb pen drive. I know, there is something i am missing out here.

I have i2s dac, small chinese usb dac, wi-fi dongle, usb keyboard, usb hub with 2A output, smartphone, and an office with computer network and internet connection. Still, all i get is running scripts on my display.

So, dear Susans and Solomans of Kolkata - I will be much obliged if anyone of you can come to my office and make my Pi sing a song for me.

My contact number is 9331290442. Please give me a call and at least let me know how to get the network and device found on smartphone screen. I have the stuff tucked in my office hoping some one from you will come to my rescue.....:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks in advance for your support and uinderstanding. Best regards.

is your pi connected to a display? Find out the IP address of the pi after boot up( with rune audio, volumio or pi music box). Open the browser and type the IP address. It will open up the setup page. You can setup source, network and MPD parameters her.

DIYERS are known as susan.. owww! I thought lady audiophile fren who cam all the way from England !

you are searching her again

is your pi connected to a display? Find out the IP address of the pi after boot up( with rune audio, volumio or pi music box). Open the browser and type the IP address. It will open up the setup page. You can setup source, network and MPD parameters her.

Yes sir, my pi is connected to my tv (thru HDMI). The very next line you wrote is where i am stuck. After boot up, it is waiting in command line mode for me to write a command. It doesn't know i am illiterate !!:D:D:D

And where do i open my browser? Just guide me till the set up page....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dada what happened we lost contact.. How about we fix a date?

Hi Saheb, i thought you have left the city for your higher studies...!! That's what you had told me the last time we had met. In case if it is not a problem we can meet tomorrow at around 3 pm onwards...if you come with sufficient time, we can discuss and i can get updated with your latest exploits....:):)

Sir,
I assume that you at the command prompt. If not login to the system( in case of volumio it user : volumio and password : volumio )
Type /sbin/ifconfig at the command prompt. You will get output similar to
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 3c:97:0e:02:98:c8
inet addr:192.168.100.23 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

Note the IP address ( 192.168.100.23 in the above example).
Open the browser from any of your other devices( laptop, desktop, phone,tab) and type the IP address. Please make sure that this device and pi are connected to same network

Hope this helps.

Dada I am out of town for sometime now. I will board train today and be back by 18th. Maybe sunday if you are free? I can come to your house?

DIYERS are known as susan.. owww! I thought lady audiophile fren who cam all the way from England !

you are searching her again

Hee Hee !! Otherwise would you have opened this thread !!:lol::lol:

Another advantage = You have the luxury of using your imagination to assume "Susan" as per your choice...:licklips:

Cheers.

Dada I am out of town for sometime now. I will board train today and be back by 18th. Maybe sunday if you are free? I can come to your house?

Thanks Dude, Okay with me. Just lemme know the time when you plan to come. And would also wish to see your marvellous creation if you carry it the way u carried it to Kolkata forum "metro music hall" meet....!! :licklips:

(I have read the thread about your secret rendezvous..!!):lol:

Sir,
I assume that you at the command prompt. If not login to the system( in case of volumio it user : volumio and password : volumio )
Type /sbin/ifconfig at the command prompt. You will get output similar to
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 3c:97:0e:02:98:c8
inet addr:192.168.100.23 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

Note the IP address ( 192.168.100.23 in the above example).
Open the browser from any of your other devices( laptop, desktop, phone,tab) and type the IP address. Please make sure that this device and pi are connected to same network

Hope this helps.

:signthankspin:

Thanks a TON, Sir. This is the first post which is actually intended to come to my resue!! :yahoo: I am going to try this tonight. Will hopefully get the IP address.
In fact, I was thinking that i will have to install some other software (putty, for example) for generating IP address (as per various blogs i so far read)

But need one more help : "Please make sure that this device and pi are connected to same network" - How do i do that ??:sos:

subro99;659954 But need one more help : "Please make sure that this device and pi are connected to same network" - How do i do that ??:sos:[/QUOTE said:
That's more of a precautionary statement.
I assume that there is one network in your office / home. Connect pi using lan cable.
Connect other device ( computer/ mobile/ tab) with lan cable/ wifi ( as suitable).

Hope this helps

I would suggest to keep a more relevant thread title, I did not open it for days even though it was in front of me..... Now that I have I seen it I thought could have been of some help....Anyway

I have a rasp pi B+ and B as well and I have tried all, Volumio, Rune Audio, Pi Music Box, Moode, LMS, Picore player you name it. My personal fav is Picore since it runs on LMS and I have transcoding support and multi room audio with ability to sync.

Few things first to clear out your misconception, Putty does not "generate" an ip for your devices, your router does using DHCP. Putty only grants you access to the command line of the linux OS you are running from a different computer (on the same network). When I say on the same network it means all your devices, PC, Laptop, mobiles, raspberry pis, AVR, TV, what ever is network enabled, is connected to your same router via either wifi or LAN (network cable cat x). Your router using DHCP provides an ip to all your devices. Something like 192.168.x.y.

Same goes with rpi, it must have got an ip. To find that boot up your Rpi with the media player image of your choice and you should reach the login screen or you will be auto logged in and see the command prompt ($ in this case)

If its the login screen then log in to using below credentials ..(this is for voiumio)

login : root
password : volumio

once you are at the command prompt type ifconfig and you should get something like the image below. If you are connected via lan cable then you will see eth0 listed and the ip address will follow. As I said something like 192.168.x.y. (In my case its 192.168.1.107)

2q1gkuc.jpg

Now go to your computer or laptop which should be connected to the same LAN (meaning same router) and open the browser and type the ip. Incase of volumio you can also type the DNS name which is http://volumio.local/ and it would open the player page. From there you can go to MENU=>LIBRARY and add a new mount. A USB drive or a NAS drive. (This is volumio I am taking as an example. I dont remember for RuneAudio, but its was pretty much same)

Let me know if you need further assistance ..... for other players ...

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Dear Ajeshkumarts,

What looked to you as precautionary, is not so actually for me. In fact no matter what ever i do, i do not see the pi on my laptop after connecting it to my laptop through an ethernet cable. I tried to enable my ICS (internet sharing) to this network but could not assign an IP address to the pi. Previously the laptop was internet enabled through a 3G dongle. So i finally connected my hdtv thru hdmi to see what is actually happening.. Again in command prompt even if i write "ifconfig" i do not get the IP address. There must be something of a step i am missing....:mad:

Now shall take the pi to see how it behaves in office network. But how will i get a display there? Hope this would be configured with or without display....:sad:

Dear Ajeshkumarts,

What looked to you as precautionary, is not so actually for me. In fact no matter what ever i do, i do not see the pi on my laptop after connecting it to my laptop through an ethernet cable. I tried to enable my ICS (internet sharing) to this network but could not assign an IP address to the pi. Previously the laptop was internet enabled through a 3G dongle. So i finally connected my hdtv thru hdmi to see what is actually happening.. Again in command prompt even if i write "ifconfig" i do not get the IP address. There must be something of a step i am missing....:mad:

Now shall take the pi to see how it behaves in office network. But how will i get a display there? Hope this would be configured with or without display....:sad:

You need to have a router/ethernet hub kind of a device between your laptop and Pi as well as wifi/internet if you want to connect to the external world. You cannot directly connect the Pi to your laptop using a ethernet cable. They cannot directly talk to each other. Better use in your office where I presume you could have multiple PCs hence using a ethernet hub/switch/wifi router. The command "ipconfig" gives you the address only when it is assigned by a ethernet switch/router.

Dear Sam9s,

Thank you dear so much to see your elaborate reply. But unfortunately i have had limited success from your instructions. In fact one forum member, saheb was scheduled to visit me and do it for me. But i could not get it done as i had to postpone his visit due to some family urgency...but then that's a separate story.
So, after i returned home, i tried to give it a go with the renewed confidence from your post. I had three SD cards ready - Volumio, Rune and Pi music Box.
Again every time it was the same problem. The volumio showed the screen you have posted earlier except the inet details. Because first of all it would ask log in and password and after giving the cursor comes back to command prompt.
In rune, it booted faster, almost immediately and asked for login - i typed root, it asked password - i typed rune, it accepted. I typed ifconfig and it said 127.0.0.1. It seemed it fooled me as i later came to know it is the local machine's IP and is being used for diagnostic purposes. I still typed the same in my laptop's browser but nothing happened. it said "error loading page"

Pi music Box - This one booted relatively slow...but finally at the end, gave an IP address all by itself on the command prompt which was coming on the tv. Once i typed the ip address on laptop browser - there it was !! the user interface. And finally i could hear the pendrive songs thru the tv. Then tried to get the audio thru the 3.5mm analog out. Had to reboot without the HDMI cable and it again worked. So far so good. But then i brought my phone put the same IP address but could not get the user interface on mobile screen.

Should i download the one which you recommended? Will that be an easier installation? I do not mind trying as i am keen for better quality of music - rather than easy to handle stuff. Only thing is it is very frustrating when it simply refuses to oblige....Pretty stubborn guy, this Pi is !!

Now coming to the very purpose of this exercise - it was to figure out a source which will be audiophile grade with minimum expense. With all your gigantic experience (when i read your posts - i get jittery and super awed !!) do you think Pi is the right guy? Or there are other solutions? (I know you have done so much research on music pc front but will it not be too expensive?)

Really happy to get your advice. Cheers.

@manniraj : Thanks.
At the end i intend to do the following :

I come back from office, i switch on the power supply of the pi. And after say 5 minutes i hear beautiful music from my home theatre controlling through my mobile. :yahoo: And i hear till the time my wife comes back scolding me to lowering the volume..:mad:

Do you think the above scenario possible? or i am demanding too much? (Wife's scolding is not too much :rolleyes: - i know as it is available free - please comment on the rest of the scene...)

@manniraj : Thanks.
At the end i intend to do the following :

I come back from office, i switch on the power supply of the pi. And after say 5 minutes i hear beautiful music from my home theatre controlling through my mobile. :yahoo: And i hear till the time my wife comes back scolding me to lowering the volume..:mad:

Do you think the above scenario possible? or i am demanding too much? (Wife's scolding is not too much :rolleyes: - i know as it is available free - please comment on the rest of the scene...)

It is very much possible in fact your wife can also control it from her mobile ;)

nsT0OjfzFEUbQbR5sTdtHi5rxfa8eBCw4BA_aFvGDEs=w485-h861-no

vvgBnWQ7as1V-pIil2Z9EXEuqNswL1p3Wq-knl_gEP8=w485-h861-no

It is very much possible in fact your wife can also control it from her mobile ;)

Dada, very glad to hear that. You have reached the peak :clapping: and i am yet to start, struggling to see the Pi in my network and smartphone. I also noticed you have used an i2s dac....is it hifiberry? Do you really find a difference in sound quality. The amplifier seemed Technic though very little is visible...

Perhaps i can take more detailed info from you, if you share your cell number. Would also like to HEAR your Pi if that is not a problem to you.....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back