Digital Photo Frame - Review reqd

petes

Folks -

After few reviews, I have 2 digital photo frame in my mind..the max budget is 4K.

1) Philips SPF1237/112
2) Sony DPF 710

Let me know out of above which we would be the better off... any other brands are also encouraged within the budget...Basic usage is to give a look to my big wooden cabinet that as all the gadgets...

Thanks!!

Digital photo frames are one of the worst possible ways of displaying photos. Do you really want them?

Gamut of colors is restricted. It is not even sRGB. The colors are not calibrated and usually can't be calibrated. The white balance itself is not correct. The image dimensions if not standard are stretched or compressed leading to a distorted image. The scaling done in the photo frames is not very good and if the image if not of the exact pixel size as the photo-frame, once again the image quality suffers.

... and I have not yet started talking about the ecological impact of these digital frames.

why dont you buy a USB capable TV for less than 10K and use it as a digital photoframe ??
bigger screen..better capability... :) if you really want to go for a digital photoframe ?? power consumption notwithstanding ?

Folks -

After few reviews, I have 2 digital photo frame in my mind..the max budget is 4K.

1) Philips SPF1237/112
2) Sony DPF 710

Let me know out of above which we would be the better off... any other brands are also encouraged within the budget...Basic usage is to give a look to my big wooden cabinet that as all the gadgets...

Thanks!!

I have redeemed by payback points and got one Transcend 7" Digital Photo frame.

Since other models were not available on payback site, I didn't get into comparing with other models.

I am using it on my office table, and it plays videos as well (there are other features, but I use it only for photos and videos).

Shivam said:
Gamut of colors is restricted. It is not even sRGB. The colors are not calibrated and usually can't be calibrated. The white balance itself is not correct. The image dimensions if not standard are stretched or compressed leading to a distorted image. The scaling done in the photo frames is not very good and if the image if not of the exact pixel size as the photo-frame, once again the image quality suffers.

... and I have not yet started talking about the ecological impact of these digital frames.

Generally we don't use photo frames to view the photos for the first time after taking. It is generally used for casual display of photos in a slide show mode. I use Oppo and LCD TV to view the photos in case I want to see them on a large screen with quality.

Digital Photo Frames market is picking up, many people liked my digital phone frame and one of them bought it from Flipkart.
They are not audiophile (or photophile) kind of people and not familiar with issues of white balance, color saturation.

I am sure, the manufactures are going to add more features and may include some of the features you have mentioned.

I agree on the ecological impact part. People tend to keep it 24Hrs ON. I have set it to Power ON at 9:00am and Power OFF at 7pm

If the OP is looking at good quality display of photos then I would also suggest displaying through LCD/LED TV

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions...since my baisc idea was to put it aside on the cabinet just to give a look and feeling of digital i thought abt...anyhow i will think twice before going for it...

Most digital photo frames I have tried has very low resolution display , I have a Kodak.

in digital photo frames 7 inch go for Viewsonic 770W 50p . I have used it its very good and at a price of pprox 2000 to 22000 one unit which is very good. Viewsonic DPF is really good i can say

Back