DIY 3/4 way ANALOG ACTIVE XO discussion

I wonder why you have a fixation with cast frame? Both T Antony as well as fellow mod Anilva have bought this driver( I know of at least a few others who have bought this as well) for powered subwoofer duty. I have the greatest respect for both the people cited, and would suggest that you be a bit flexible on some of the parameters, if, as I trust you do, you want to look at local vendors and getting this off the ground in a reasonable time frame. Ask them for their opinions, no harm in it, instead of dismissing it out of hand.

Can anyone help with with pointers for any locally available suitable home-audio woofers with a cast frame costing less than 10K apiece?
Available dime a dozen these days, in Bombay, in Lamington Road. Some may even fit the budget mentioned. Many major pro audio brand woofers are available, most of them rated 500W or higher. Most of these have cast frames. I am quite certain of availability of Selenium and Peavey. I am not aware of any online e-commerce vendor selling them (don't remember about BAJAAO.COM - India's largest musical instrument, recording gear, PA equipment superstore. and their catalog, though). Narain Audio of Lamington Road definitely has a large catalog of good quality pro audio drivers, and may be willing to ship to you, though they don't have any online ordering facility.

Can anyone help with with pointers for any locally available suitable home-audio woofers with a cast frame costing less than 10K apiece?[/B] :licklips:

IMHO, Two good 12" car drivers mounted on opposite side of a cube with two passive radiators (DIY made) mounted on two other opposite sides would get you the most of bang for the buck. Tune the passives very low and they will drastically take the load off from the main drivers in the lowest octave where excursion demands are huge.

Two 12" drivers have similar surface area as a single 15" and probably a bigger combined coil size.

Sub performance is determined by the room than the sub.

Tarunbhai:

Shri Tunn has specified he is looking for only desi drivers, so I guess that should rule out using Peavey and Selenium, right?.

Goldy:
For someone who in his opening post confessed to being a technically challenged newbie, probably a sealed box is the easiest and most forgiving option. I agree that PRs are a great way to go( I have three), but DIYing (and using PRs) everything requires a considerable amount of reading up, understanding and execution-even for me doing it would be a daunting task. However, good idea to use car subs if the OP is wiling to look at non desi options.

Shri Tunn has specified he is looking for only desi drivers, so I guess that should rule out using Peavey and Selenium, right?.
Oops. I had not realised that this was a patriotic project. I usually fail to distinguish between "made in India" and "available in India". :sad: I guess in this case too, that was the slip-up.

Of course, there's this entire question about why anyone will want to insist on drivers made in India, when probably half the items we use in DIY are not made in India. My capacitors are from Taiwan (available in India, excellent, inexpensive). My veneer is sometimes imported. Connectors, ditto. My router is made in China... and so on. Whatever floats your boat.

Re: DIFOM(do-it-for-me) 2/3/4 way ACTIVE, ANALOG system discussion

So, where art thou, Skipper? (aka Capt Rajesh)

I'm so close to you yet so far, literally and right now in Pehlelgaon. After a washout yesterday and bad weather this morning, we got a glimmer of hope of making it to the top seeing bright weather at around 8. Few sorties were made but alas weather packed up even as we were standing near the helepad. [emoji16][emoji31]

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back