DIY AUDIO RACK JUSTCAD design

kaushik

Justcad is a simple software for CAD [computer aidded drawing ] . 2D drawing .
It is very simple and powerful..i use it for the speaker cabinet and rack designs ...

but u can design any other drawing too like jewellery design

steps for a great DIY rack design

- Install Just CAD
make drawing with curve,line ,2 pt circle tools
- save BMP and jcd
- get the Wood and Steelwork done..
- Assemble

Attached ..sample rack design

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 471
Hi,

Interesting Kaushik,So do you plan to build any racks ??

Anyway thanks for the information !!

Regards.

Yes I have plans for few racks ...

the focus is to avoid shoe rack kind of Monotomous Designs and make ..some state-of-the art racks starting with 1st unit for myself .

i plan to :

-Add glossy dark chocolate finish on the X like sections

-The rack will contain brand logo ...:) ..i have talked with one company to get a laser engraved logo on steel sheet

currently i am designing a pair of speakers...,1 fuzz box,1 Battery powered Amp..phew:) ..
.... rack will the next....

Please add your Innovative Ideas......

Hi Kaushik,

the focus is to avoid shoe rack kind of Monotomous Designs and make ..some state-of-the art racks starting with 1st unit for myself .

I like the CAD idea for designing racks as i was thinking in the same line. I am an Architect by profession and working in the field of AV on "CAD":)....

was always wondering why racks have to look like something where u just stack things make it asthetically beautifull...:cool:

would be great if you could share ur thoughts.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes we have been discussing about the this ! but sadly very few fabricators here to do the actual job !! if you can design and get it done then nothing like it !!

So what exactly you are looking in this apart it being different from the run of the mill rack ??

Btw if you like some Amp cabinet designs ! please check my latest design !A comment or two is always welcome !

Amp Design

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Kaushik,

I like the CAD idea for designing racks as i was thinking in the same line. I am an Architect by profession and working in the field of AV on "CAD":)....

was always wondering why racks have to look like something where u just stack things make it asthetically beautifull...:cool:

would be great if you could share ur thoughts.

Thanks

Thank you Archana ! for joining on to this thread ..

at this point i have some conceptual ideas ... but the
getting the design transformed to reality here is little tough :) ...as pointed
by soundsgreat .. but that does not stop me for keeping designs made in photoshop ,justcad...for future ..if i consider these are upto-my expectations i will post here time to time ...

soundsgreat has done a great AMP design as pointed in the reply ... i am cooking a vintage look amplifier cabinet too ...soon i will post here ...

frankly i am too little of a designer and more of a DIY hobbiest...
however as you are an architect , it would be great if you can add you 2D ,3D design skills based on the latest trends... n we will see a fresh breeze of creative AV designs here at HifiVision ....

here are some of the pointers :

[image URLS only due to upload limitation]

bookshelve speaker stands based on :
http://www.jahroc.com.au/000084200.jpg

AV Rack consisting of shelves like:
http://www.jahroc.com.au/8_islanddining_small.jpg

zebra patterned racks as in :
http://server12.sitewizard.co.uk/sites/bespokeinnovation/images/gal_cat_zeb_table.jpg

The rack:with all - CD RACK and AV SHELVES
http://www.popgadget.net/images/chair_dondola.jpg

these are small set of design inspirations..hope this makes you go further on the AV design .....looking forward to see your designs ..:)!

Attachments

• chair_dondola.GIF
    chair_dondola.GIF
    7.5 KB · Views: 390
Hi,

Kaushik Thanks for recommendation ! and by the way please don't take it negatively about what I said !! You are always welcome to design !

Am talking with my experience and after doing a thorough search in entire Bangalore for years finding a right fabricator !

And quite a good links you've provided !! Keep up the good work !

Yes indeed if she can do something then I'll be very good !

Regards.

Am talking with my experience and after doing a thorough search in entire Bangalore for years finding a right fabricator !

Same experience here in Pune. Two years back I created a great(at least to me!) design for an entry level Audio System rack.

After searching for four odd months I found one guy to fabricate it. That guy took some money as an advance and vanished then after. I found him after four months but by that time he had blown that money in gambling!

Then got one more guy, based on some recommendations, he was very enthusiastic in the beginning and really suggested some good changes in my design so as to reduce cost! Now, this time I was wise enough to pay directly to the shop to procure raw material. All done, wood was cut to measure and this guy too vanished. After waiting for good 3 months, finally I collected only 50% of the wood and glass from his place, rest he must have consumed elsewhere (or sold to make some quick bucks).

Now came in the third guy, he rejected the original design saying it is too complicated for him but finally agreed to work on the project , this time I was more wiser to put forward some terms and conditions:
1> I insisted that he should come to my place and fabricate in my presence.
2> All material will remain in may custody.
3> I will pay no advance but pay based on work progress.

The guy agreed but on the very first day he broke the glass tops by mishandling it and as if that was not enough he came drunk the next day and cut the wood all wrong under that trance! I kicked him out of the place but all material went waste.

I shelved the project!

At present I am using a low height cupboard which I purchased from ??Chor Bazar- Pune??, and modified to my requirements . And this time I did the job all by myself and in the process added ??Carpentry ??to my skill sets . Now if IT industry (my bread and butter) collapses one day, I won??t be jobless!. Cheers!!

SUhas

Last edited:
Same experience here in Pune. Two years back I created a great(at least to me!) design for an entry level Audio System rack.

After searching for four odd months I found one guy to fabricate it. That guy took some money as an advance and vanished then after. I found him after four months but by that time he had blown that money in gambling!

Then got one more guy, based on some recommendations, he was very enthusiastic in the beginning and really suggested some good changes in my design so as to reduce cost! Now, this time I was wise enough to pay directly to the shop to procure raw material. All done, wood was cut to measure and this guy too vanished. After waiting for good 3 months, finally I collected only 50% of the wood and glass from his place, rest he must have consumed elsewhere (or sold to make some quick bucks).

Now came in the third guy, he rejected the original design saying it is too complicated for him but finally agreed to work on the project , this time I was more wiser to put forward some terms and conditions:
1> I insisted that he should come to my place and fabricate in my presence.
2> All material will remain in may custody.
3> I will pay no advance but pay based on work progress.

The guy agreed but on the very first day he broke the glass tops by mishandling it and as if that was not enough he came drunk the next day and cut the wood all wrong under that trance! I kicked him out of the place but all material went waste.

I shelved the project!

At present I am using a low height cupboard which I purchased from ??Chor Bazar- Pune??, and modified to my requirements . And this time I did the job all by myself and in the process added ??Carpentry ??to my skill sets . Now if IT industry (my bread and butter) collapses one day, I won??t be jobless!. Cheers!!

SUhas

Suhas,
i feel this may happen if one is unfortunate .. also ability to check reliability counts ... ..this disouraging history will not make other DIYers stay away i hope ... :)

...once the time is proper i will complete my rack plan..

however the the area where i stay .. [kalyan nagar,bangalore] area here is a heaven for diy there are lott of shops that take custom DIY project orders and delivered ... woodworkers who take pictures/diagrams of furniture and make... etc are also a plenty ..:)
....steel racks/wood MDF even custom guitars [>50k ] are made here ...

recently i had talks with some people for a vintage amp related project... i will post updates soon

Last edited:
Kausihk, very good attempt this time too! really appreciated.

SuhasG: I'd think that's an unfortunate incident. well, 2 times failing is bit extreme.

Though it is not directly associated to DIY AV Rack, 6 years ago I made my first attempt to design and build wardrobe & kitchen in Chennai. I've taken 20 days off from my work and flown with the designs, exact measurements. Hired 7 carpenters, executed the project myself and finished in 14 days time. It turned out very well, now that experience gives me the courage of taking up any kind of interior design project in India (for myself & friends, because that's not my profession).

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/suniil/kitchen1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/suniil/kitchen2.jpg

Sorry guys for going off-topic, but that's my first major DIY attempt in India

Hi soundsgreat,

Btw if you like some Amp cabinet designs ! please check my latest design !A comment or two is always welcome

Sorry for the delay in replying but ur product looks really great and looks professional:)

Hi,

Thanks Archana for liking the design ! it my little DIY effort !!

Its ok,Soon or late doesn't matter as long as you've seen the stuff !

Regards.

Hi kaushik,
I stay at cox town, close by to kalyanagar, I was always fascinated of making my own racks. I saw all the racks in bangalore and again some photo's from UK and USA . The racks made up of M.S was looking a bit shaby to me but S.S is ok. I decided to make my own rack of solid Teak wood but not like the regular square or rectangle one's but a bit different. The dimentions are height=39", width = 27" and depth at the top = 12" and depth at the bottom = 24 ". When you look at the rack from the side, the rear legs are straight but the front legs are inclined back, The front legs are at 24" away from the rear legs (at the bottom) and at the top it is only 12" away from the rear legs. The dimentions at the top of the rack is d= 12" by 27" and at the bottom the dimentions are 24" by 27". I have four toufend glass partitions 12mm thick and bronse in color. I have placed a lamp at the top of the racks. When I listen to the music in the night only this lamp glows.
I hope you can understand this.
Photo will follow soon.

nandakumarhv,

your summery of rack was great....... absolutely !

hmm i can visualize that rack ...from the nice summery ...
pictures ..pictures...awaited!
i am sure asking on everyones behalf...

i never expected anyone would have done the rack thing to that level ..
please do share the sources of the parts used as well.
i came up with the idea , but due to sortage of time ,it is delayed ...

... but would love to visit your place ,sometime to view the rack !

for lighting , whatz in my mind are ultra-bright LED strips ..i will share the ideas soon

thanks kaushik,
I used solid well seansoned teak wood and as i am in construction business sources of wood or fabricators is not a problem . I have used tougend 12mm brone glass and i bought the glass from balagi in infantry road and got it tougend in penya. The whole wood is melamined with natural semigloss finish and touned to match my speakers color ( it is called dark maple) .
How should i post my phot on the forum and i am really very bad at this.

Hi,

Nandakumar thats one neat looking rack ! very simple and very decent :)!!

Its good to know that we have lot of DIY guys !!

Btw Nandakumar I wanted to invite you for an Audition for my DIY towers ! will be interesting to get your perspective on them (lot of other members have voiced their opinion on this) ! Since you have listened to Ushers and other,Will certainly be very very interesting to get your opinion on them !!

Let me know if you up for it ! I stay in sanjaynagar (hardly 8Kms) !

Regards.

Hi soundsgreat,
I will definately visit your place, i know sanjay nagar very well. Can any one guess how much the rack would have costed and how long it took me finish the basic carpentor's work .
with regards,

Hi,

Nandakumar received the PM and have replied to it !!

My Guess with all the stuff you mentioned (like toughening,melamine treatment etc) I'd say 6-10K for sure !!

Please don't curse me if I've Guessed it too low :p!! Just with the similar experience in wood and DIY in general I've guessed !!

Regards.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back