DIY: Home Theater Room

arvban

I am building a dedicated HT room in my new apartment. Size of the room is 15'*12'*9'. One wall of the room has a glass sliding door of 8'*6.5' and other wall has an opening of 3'*8'. I have the following questions -

1. Which is the best flooring for this kind of a room from acoustics point of view? Shall i go for wooden flooring or carpet? My designer is saying go for wooden flooring but i am not sure if it is a good option from acoustics point of view.

2. Does ceiling needs any acoustics treatment. I will be going for false ceiling. My designer has given me 3 options -
a. POP ceiling
b. Celling with complete wood just like wooden flooring
c. Ceiling with fabric boards and woonden strips.

Which is the best option for ceiling? On forums i have also read about Armstrong boards etc... which one should i go for?

3. What should I do to prevent sound leaking out of the room given the openings(sliding doors etc..) it has?

4. Do you recommend going for acoustics panels on the walls given the size of the room?

Thanks.

My suggestion is carpet, not wooden flooring, defer the ceiling till later-if you need to do it. Acoustic absorption panels on the walls are useful, to know a bit more read up what some of the members have done in their HT rooms.

1. Which is the best flooring for this kind of a room from acoustics point of view? Shall i go for wooden flooring or carpet? My designer is saying go for wooden flooring but i am not sure if it is a good option from acoustics point of view.

Go with carpet as Option 1, If you have to go with wooden flooring, then add throw rugs, covering 60% of the floor

2. Does ceiling needs any acoustics treatment. I will be going for false ceiling. My designer has given me 3 options -
a. POP ceiling
b. Celling with complete wood just like wooden flooring
c. Ceiling with fabric boards and woonden strips.

Go with a POP ceiling with Acoustic Panels in the front 1/3 of the room (Where front speakers and Screen is located)- The actual design should be worked out before you start work on the ceiling

3. What should I do to prevent sound leaking out of the room given the openings(sliding doors etc..) it has?

Sliding doors are difficult to to control sound leakage- If possible replace with french doors with acoustic gaskets all the way around. If keeping sliding door, wrap acoustic insulation all around the fixed portion of the sliding door and let it form a moving seal around the fixed frame

4. Do you recommend going for acoustics panels on the walls given the size of the room?

Acoustic panels are a good idea - check out the forum for some DIY details

For floor - Carpet with thick padding. Padding makes more effect than carpet itself.

Ceiling - Leave the ceiling with cement or plaster. I would put some acoustic treatments on the ceiling. Don't cover entire ceiling with treatment, just do intermittently. Then you can cover entire ceiling with some cloth.

Last edited:
Size of the room is 15'*12'*9'.
Is the screen going to be on one of the 12' walls or one of the 15' walls?
One wall of the room has a glass sliding door of 8'*6.5' and other wall has an opening of 3'*8'.
If I am facing the front wall, where is the sliding glass door and where is the opening (e.g., along the sides or behind me)? This might end up dictating where you put some of the acoustic panels, in order to get left-vs-right consistency.

BTW, do you have a diagram of the room?

Hi Friends,
I am planning to have a Room on Roof top for Music/entertainment purpose.

To give a serious thought on it I need to know some points very clearly so that I can be with the plan and execute or simply discard it.

Constraints -
1. Roof top location.
2. No permission from local municipality to make RCC ceiling on roof top room as my building is already a 3 storied one.
3. Maximum thickness of walls can be 5 inch.
4. The construction need to be in light weight as much as possible.

Room Details and equipments -

1. Room size - 150 Sq Feet.
2. LED TV - 55 inch
3. Low Noise AC
4. Amplifier systems / AVR etc.. and Sub woofers

Let me know whether a roof top room can be consider.
If yes than how to go with the ceiling treatment. Only asbestos or tiles are permitted to cover up the ceiling part.

I can have false ceiling but what type of False ceiling is required for Home theater rooms.

Need to know on room acoustic treatment.

Flooring will be normal with PVC veneer and thick carpet.

Regards,
Samrat

For floor - Carpet with thick padding. Padding makes more effect than carpet itself.

Ceiling - Leave the ceiling with cement or plaster. I would put some acoustic treatments on the ceiling. Don't cover entire ceiling with treatment, just do intermittently. Then you can cover entire ceiling with some cloth.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back