DIY rack for placing AVR etc. Is it a bad idea to make with with Glass ??? Does it vibrate??

Naveenbnc

Hi all...
I am thinking of making a diy rack for placing ARV, Media Player, Laptop, and other stuff. And also a heavy amplifyer (for subwoofer)
It may have 4 wooden legs and closed on 3 sides (front left & right) with plywood etc.

Basically I am planning to use 12mm thick glass as the top of the rack. Is a glass bad idea??? Does it vibrate because of sub ???
Any idea please guys ????

Thanks in advance :)

no no sub will be outside the rack .... the amp that is driving the sub will be in the rack, along with the AVR.

Maple would be much better. Closed on three sides is also not a good idea especially for the AVR. FM magma makes such racks.
http://soundfoundations.in/products/gamma-mk2/
Do you mean sub inside the rack? That's an absolute no no.
I want to do it my self just for fun. I will make sure to provide as much ventilation as possible.
Im just wondering if the glass has the issue with vibrations. I have a 12mm thick glass, and its pretty heavy

I am thinking of making a diy rack for placing ARV, Media Player, Laptop, and other stuff. And also a heavy amplifyer (for subwoofer)

How heavy is the amplifier?..

It may have 4 wooden legs and closed on 3 sides (front left & right) with plywood etc.

I understand this is to keep the kids away from accessing the cables.. But open sides provide better heat dissipation..

Basically I am planning to use 12mm thick glass as the top of the rack.

Isn't 12mm too thick for glass top?..

Does it vibrate because of sub ???

It may vibrate if the sub is placed anywhere nearby..

Consider this option if it suits you.. There are portable TV stands aval that can rotate 180 degrees horizontally.. Replace the metal plate with 12mm MDF and it can easily hold AVR & amplifiers.. You can consider multiple stands, mounted to side walls at a height of 3 ~ 4 ft above floor..

Hi elangoas.....
I m just checking if I can make a rack something like this ....
All corners rounded without any sharp edges. The top and the middle racks are glass.
Yes you are right 12mm is too much, but I have them in my home.

rack1.JPG

this is another idea.... very simple to make ....
the left and right pieces in black color are plywood pieces screwed together.
Place a glass at top and bottom and just glue them together, or use rubber glass mounting pads.
Looks stylish but not suitable with kids.
Did not work on the detailed design yet.... just playing around with ideas....
Here the glass is heavy....and it is not easy to topple it down

rack2.JPG made in C

I think @Naveenbnc created 400 new threads out of his 485 posts ;):cool:
Lot of things he is learning from hfv i believe.
Mods have to charge some training fee for him.:p

My inputs on custom made Rack would be ,look for the AVR rack with depth min 17 - 18 inch.Check your Current AVR depth moreover corners should be round enough (No sharp edges)as you mentioned kids moving around and there should not be projected step kind of thing where they try to climb on that.
Experience speaks here.

thanks for the inputs kalyan !!!
and yes .... there is a lot that i learnt in this forum !!! No amount is fee will justify it :D:D
Actually I came to this forum to check if I can do some small changes to my F&D 5.1 setup. That sounds funny now :p:p
I owe a lot to the seniors here :):)

Acralic is also a good idea. The only reason is .... I have two glass pieces lying in my home 4 feet x 1.5 feet.

long back i placed the avr on two glasses and some thermocol cut pieces.
Its a very temporary setup though .... later i didn't focus on the rack.
Now im looking at a rack again ....

rack3.JPG

may be this idea can be useful to some new guys ....

we can keep the above thermocol pieces setup as it is.... and stitch a rexin cloth cover for them.
I mean, stitch a rectangular shape bag with rexin cloth (cloth used in bean bags).
Stuff the bag with those thermocol pieces, and just place the glass on top of them.

It loos very nice. (Down side is, we loose some space on both sides)

FM Binoymehra had a rack for sale

I liked the dimensions

maybe it may suit you

but i see you are located in Hyd

his asking price is reasonable too and it might save you from re inventing the wheel

your call though..

ooh... i saw the post.. its a nice rack indeed... price is also fine ...
But generally I like to build stuff myself if its not too time consuming ... :)

Hi all...

Basically I am planning to use 12mm thick glass as the top of the rack. Is a glass bad idea??? Does it vibrate because of sub ???
Any idea please guys ????

Thanks in advance :)
Hi Naveen my entire rack is made of acrylic and steel . As you can see for yourself i have a lot of equipment on it. IMG_1335.JPG Its inert and doesn't vibrate. And it was designed by JK from Surat who is wvery well known in our forums and audiophile circles.
Cheers !
Anand

It looks wonderful !!!! From the picture it looks like a thick acrylic. 1" may be? But the whole setup looks very nice. Thanks for sharing !!!☺️☺️☺️
Its nice and a proud feel to display the avr and other gear.

In my case i have to conceal the front, left and right sides as I have a small kid. I think I can think of acrylic there. Thanks again for sharing,,,,☺️☺️

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back