DIY Raspberry pi 4 + DAC + Android = Tidal, Spotify & Apple Music

Is it possible to reuse a 7inch touchscreen from a generic android tablet in Rpi4 as display ,Any kind of adapter is required.

You need drivers for them, sometimes it is a headache, thats why I went ahead with a HDMI pin Display.

Although I am not a os hacker, i dont think its easy. If it was possible to overcome androids 48khz restriction on usb streaming, commercial companies would have already done it.

Although I am not a os hacker, i dont think its easy. If it was possible to overcome androids 48khz restriction on usb streaming, commercial companies would have already done it.

I read few people have done it with root access, that said I am not going for USB streaming method, rather analogue inputs will be making its way.

I read few people have done it with root access, that said I am not going for USB streaming method, rather analogue inputs will be making its way.
Let me make a guess.. You are doing this with android so you are able to install apple music on it - am I right? Otherwise I see no reason to justify the trouble you are taking.

Let me make a guess.. You are doing this with android so you are able to install apple music on it - am I right? Otherwise I see no reason to justify the trouble you are taking.

yup, Tidal & Spotify are easily doable on Volumio or Moode.
Even with a decent DAP like Activo CT10 I am able to use Tidal and Spotify, Tidal goes upto 96khz on some songs.

Apple music right now is only accessible through phones and everyone is using audio jack, airplay doesn't support lossless too.
With Android based Streamer I can have all three, and lossless on Tidal & Apple music.

Its possible to disable androids oversampling with root access

Remote functionality also will be added without much hiccups, Bluetooth enabled MI remote can control a android device. Tested yesterday with both S21 Ultra and the Raspberry Pi, only the home button is not working.

Tidal app is a mess if using remote,
On Apple TV cannot see the cursor at all.

Thinking to order the Mi Box Bluetooth remote to control the Pi or get a better solution.

Last edited:
Remote functionality also will be added without much hiccups, Bluetooth enabled MI remote can control a android device. Tested yesterday with both S21 Ultra and the Raspberry Pi, only the home button is not working.

Tidal app is a mess if using remote,
On Apple TV cannot see the cursor at all.

Thinking to order the Mi Box Bluetooth remote to control the Pi or get a better solution.
If fixing android for hifi is easy why would company like allo mess with linux

Anyone compared the sound quality of Tidal on Roon vs Volumio on Rpi4.
For some reason, I could not utilize software(DSP) volume control on Roon(windows 10 roon core) and my current Tube power amp does not have volume control.
Volumio allows me to control the volume on android phone.

So today I magaged to edit few root files to stop the resampling. I dunno if it has worked or no :rolleyes:
Sorry for the super crappy photos, my tv is conked and till i receive the display have to use this.

Without any device
20210814_202047_resize_51.jpg
20210814_204403_resize_33.jpg

With Activo CT10 as a DAC
20210814_204512_resize_57.jpg
20210814_204453_resize_98.jpg

This is what I get on Samsung S21 Ultra
Screenshot_20210814-212917_Sample Rate Checker.jpg

Last edited:
@amrutnhatre90 - Thanks for sharing your interesting experiences here.
First, please also share which root files to edit and what edits to perform on them.
I would like to do the same on my RPi with Allo Boss DAC HAT on Lineage OS17. (18 also works)
The Bitrate Checker reports 48000 Hz.
I've been using this for over a year (to beat the lockdown blues) & tinkered my way through adding RTC through GPiO as well iR remote for volume, power, next and previous songs, mute etc., & adding the Allo Boss DAC too. The screen, a 7 inch Waveshare touch unit, was a non-issue as it is HDMI, working right OOB.
I use Apple music exclusively for streaming & the recent upgrade of their service merits popping the hood and getting my hands dirty once again. It will be interesting to see if the edits work on GPiO HATs as well.

@ajaytanna I got the above sample rate when I connected Activo CT10 as a external dac using usb. I don't think I was getting I prior to editing the root files. Use this link to edit the root files Link. This method is useful only for USB DACs.

GPiO HATs don't need this, it uses the DAC from them. No way to check if it is outputing higher sample rate, but I did checks the logs generated using adb tool it showed 88khz and 96khz on both Tidal and Apple Music.

20210817_203916_resize_67.jpg

My 5inch capacitive touch screen is here, tested it and works flawless out of the box. I even ordered a smaller 2inch screen but somehow I couldn't get it running, will try that in some days.
I even ordered a Bluetooth Mi remote to navigate. Sadly I am out of town for few days, so project is on hold. But I just need to make the casing then its done.

Finally the project is complete, more than happy with the sound output and quality. Streaming Hi-Res Apple Music and Tidal now at 88khz or 96khz too :)

Some pictures of the progress

CollageMaker_20210829_211341439_resize_81.jpg

The Prototype - was bulky and needed lot of acrylic sheets. Dropped the plan.
20210827_220137_resize_11.jpg
20210827_220141_resize_69.jpg

Final Outcome
IMG_20210829_212541_371_resize_34.jpg

IMG_20210829_212541_418_resize_6.jpg

20210829_204052_resize_85.jpg

20210829_204110_resize_45.jpg

20210829_230345_resize_59.jpg

20210829_230455_resize_95.jpg

20210829_230517_resize_55.jpg
Size comparison with the 3090 Q Accoustics centre speaker.

Used a small plastic box. Can keep it vertical or drop it flat, small compact as a tiffin. As suggested by @Black_Hawk need to make some ventilation holes to keep insides from getting warm and hot.

Capacitive touch screen is silky smooth. Pi runs very smooth and no hiccups at all.

Last edited:
Finally the project is complete, more than happy with the sound output and quality. Streaming Hi-Res Apple Music and Tidal now at 88khz or 96khz too :)

Some pictures of the progress

View attachment 61528

The Prototype - was bulky and needed lot of acrylic sheets. Dropped the plan.
View attachment 61531
View attachment 61532

Final Outcome
View attachment 61533

View attachment 61534

View attachment 61535

View attachment 61537

View attachment 61538

View attachment 61539

View attachment 61540
Size comparison with the 3090 Q Accoustics centre speaker.

Used a small plastic box. Can keep it vertical or drop it flat, small compact as a tiffin. As suggested by @Black_Hawk need to make some ventilation holes to keep insides from getting warm and hot.

Capacitive touch screen is silky smooth. Pi runs very smooth and no hiccups at all.
Great Project! :cool:

Are you streaming to it from PC/Phone? If yes, How?

Great Project! :cool:

Are you streaming to it from PC/Phone? If yes, How?
Rpi is Android based, i have installed android apps. Not able to control Apple Music from phone, did not check Tidal.
Can use a Bluetooth remote, or apps that control other android device.

Testing the Rpi Streamer with different chains, it has started to sound amazing. Do DACs like these require burn ins?
Following are some ways I am using the streamer:
  1. Streamer > NAD 320BEE > 3050i
  2. Streamer > NAD 320BEE > Crown XLS > 3050i
  3. Streamer > FX Audio Tube Amp > Crown XLS > 3050i
  4. Streamer > Denon x3700 > Crown XLS > 3050i
All of the above ways give me different music experiences, even the humble NAD alone sounds fantastic with just 50WPC.
Best thing is this is super compact, if anyone wants to try this in their chain will be more than happy to carry this in bag to your place.
I don't have any other DAC or streamer to compare, I can get to know how this sounds in other systems too :)

Testing the Rpi Streamer with different chains, it has started to sound amazing. Do DACs like these require burn ins?
All of the above ways give me different music experiences, even the humble NAD alone sounds fantastic with just 50WPC.
Best thing is this is super compact, if anyone wants to try this in their chain will be more than happy to carry this in bag to your place.
I don't have any other DAC or streamer to compare, I can get to know how this sounds in other systems too :)
Very nice project Amrut. I will ping to know about this.

Thanks for sharing this. I tried my Allo Boss2 played with Crown XLS2002>>>Heco Victa700 FS and was surprised to notice the change in sound quality (compared to Marants 6012 used as DAC with the same Amp and speakers). It was definitely an upgrade.
I am planning to test it again with Allo Nirvana SMPS (Currently used with my Squeezebox Touch) to see if I can notice any change in sound.

Very nice project Amrut. I will ping to know about this.

Sure, anytime.

Thanks for sharing this. I tried my Allo Boss2 played with Crown XLS2002>>>Heco Victa700 FS and was surprised to notice the change in sound quality (compared to Marants 6012 used as DAC with the same Amp and speakers). It was definitely an upgrade.
I am planning to test it again with Allo Nirvana SMPS (Currently used with my Squeezebox Touch) to see if I can notice any change in sound.

Marantz has its own DAC, so while playing with Allo Boss2 it might be going through 2 conversions, Allos Dac and Marantz Dac hence degrading the sound quality. Pure direct mode solves this to some extent but not all.
How are you controlling the volume wen directly connected to crowns? Try adding a pre amp stage between the Allo and Crowns to get more out of it.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back