DIY Raspberry pi 4 + DAC + Android = Tidal, Spotify & Apple Music

Sure, anytime.

Marantz has its own DAC, so while playing with Allo Boss2 it might be going through 2 conversions, Allos Dac and Marantz Dac hence degrading the sound quality. Pure direct mode solves this to some extent but not all.
How are you controlling the volume wen directly connected to crowns? Try adding a pre amp stage between the Allo and Crowns to get more out of it.
Probably I did not make it clear enough. When I used Marantz for comparison, Boss2 is not added to the chain.

Test 1 setup:
FLAC on the NAS >>>>Marantz>>>XLS2002>>FS Speakers
Test 2 setup:
FLAC on the NAS >>>>BOSS2>>>XLS2002>>FS Speakers

I am controlling the volume on Crown. But I do have plans to use Shaan's PeeCeeBee Preamp. Just waiting for a nice chassis for it.

So today I magaged to edit few root files to stop the resampling. I dunno if it has worked or no :rolleyes:
Sorry for the super crappy photos, my tv is conked and till i receive the display have to use this.

Without any device
View attachment 61095
View attachment 61096

With Activo CT10 as a DAC
View attachment 61097
View attachment 61098

This is what I get on Samsung S21 Ultra
View attachment 61099
I have allo digione i2s hat on rasperberry pi, I want to install lineage os and use i2s with spdif out . I have audiolab 6000a integrated amp with internal DAC. I will use tv as display from hdmi on raspberry pi. Will this work? My worry is hdmi will have sound out instead of sound from i2s to spdif.?

I have allo digione i2s hat on rasperberry pi, I want to install lineage os and use i2s with spdif out . I have audiolab 6000a integrated amp with internal DAC. I will use tv as display from hdmi on raspberry pi. Will this work? My worry is hdmi will have sound out instead of sound from i2s to spdif.?

Yes, this will work.
Before getting the raspberry pi display, I was using the my temporary TV as the display, controlling it with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You will need something similar to replace the touch.
Linage OS has a option in its settings to change audio output like this:
20210912_112830_resize_48.jpg

What you can also do is temporary use a spare micro SD card to test instead of using the main one in raspberry pi.

Yes, this will work.
Before getting the raspberry pi display, I was using the my temporary TV as the display, controlling it with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You will need something similar to replace the touch.
Linage OS has a option in its settings to change audio output like this:
View attachment 61901

What you can also do is temporary use a spare micro SD card to test instead of using the main one in raspberry pi.
I am not getting display on my tv after flashing lineage os on spare sd card and trying to boot on raspberry pi, What could be the problem?

I am not getting display on my tv after flashing lineage os on spare sd card and trying to boot on raspberry pi, What could be the problem?

Open the config file on the SD card check if HDMI settings are right. Which lineage OS did you flash? Get the 18.1 version.

Thanks.
Sorry my bad, here you go.

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/

This is for raspberry pi 4, if you own raspberry pi 3 there should be another link.

Do read all FAQs for any queries.

@muzaffar559 did you use the above link?
I tried with lineage os 17 and gapps related to it but while flasing gapps it is giving error 70. Looks my raspberry pi3b is not having enough space as it is only 1GB RAM. Thinking of buying Raspberry pi 4 4GB but before i would like to know does android resample it to 48K if we follow audio route through I2S allog digione hat? Do we need to do any changes as root as mentioned earlier in the forum.

I tried with lineage os 17 and gapps related to it but while flasing gapps it is giving error 70. Looks my raspberry pi3b is not having enough space as it is only 1GB RAM. Thinking of buying Raspberry pi 4 4GB but before i would like to know does android resample it to 48K if we follow audio route through I2S allog digione hat? Do we need to do any changes as root as mentioned earlier in the forum.

Yes, I had made changes to the root so the upsampling of 48k had stopped. I tried checking today again with a external DAC through USB but for some reason the RPi hangs when I connect the external DAC. Prior to attaching the Display everything was running fine. Guess Display USB and DAC USB don't gel well, will be trying again with a stock build and other memory card.

I am too waiting for a Topping Dac from my friend to test this out, would advise wait till I try till you spend on new RPI.
This way even I can know is it really outputting 44 or 48khz.

Heres a short video I made of the process and some sound tests too including pricing. YT video doesn't do justice to the actual sound at all.
Description has all the links for the products I used to create the streamer. Extremely happy with the sound quality.

Remote functionality also will be added without much hiccups, Bluetooth enabled MI remote can control a android device. Tested yesterday with both S21 Ultra and the Raspberry Pi, only the home button is not working.
You mean the mi tv remote that's available for 599?

Last edited:
You mean the mi tv remote that's available for 599?
Yes, this was working but I am not using it. As the screen cannot be viewed from far away.

Better way to use without touchscreen and save more cost is directly connect Rpi hdmi to TV.
Use wireless mouse or keyboard, this works seemlessly.

What about apps like AirMirror, which helps to control other android devices.
And how about using remote while tv is used as display.

What about apps like AirMirror, which helps to control other android devices.
And how about using remote while tv is used as display.

Yes, mirroring devices works I had tried such app. Forgot its name.
Yes, you can use remote TV but I think some buttons don't work as we want.

Finally I got a bit of time to test Volumio vs LineageOS.
Installed volumio on a separate SD card and tested songs from Tidal and FLACs.

I couldn't notice any difference between the two. Both sounded almost identical.
I thought Volumio will have a upper hand but LineageOS sounded the same.

Makes me happy that android has got lot better raspberry pi.

Finally I got a bit of time to test Volumio vs LineageOS.
Installed volumio on a separate SD card and tested songs from Tidal and FLACs.

I couldn't notice any difference between the two. Both sounded almost identical.
I thought Volumio will have a upper hand but LineageOS sounded the same.
Hi Amrut,
I still don't get, how a playing software can affect sound quality other than providing bit perfect pcm stream output to a dac..

My Allo digione player is arriving today.
Will also try with lineage OS. I have a few questions here.
Is all play store apps available with lineage.
Does the OS supports hats like digione which is not a dac.
Also, have you tried controling your Rpi using Airmirror app.

Hi Amrut,
I still don't get, how a playing software can affect sound quality other than providing bit perfect pcm stream output to a dac..

Many people told me Lineage OS or android won't as good as Volumio or Moode as these OS are built for audio streaming and so on.

My Allo digione player is arriving today.
Will also try with lineage OS. I have a few questions here.
Is all play store apps available with lineage.
Does the OS supports hats like digione which is not a dac.
Also, have you tried controling your Rpi using Airmirror app.

Yes, All play store apps available, but you will have to install the google services. I have provided the link for Lineage OS it has all the required links and downloads.
I will have to check the root files, to see if digione can be supported. I think it is, I remember seeing some driver file inside root.

Yes, used the airmirror app it works, but I don't prefer it.

Does anybody have used below hat for RPI. It has a I2S out.

AK4118 Digital Interface SPDIF I2S HDMI LVDS Raspberry Pi 3 / Pi 4​

Attachments

• F1DBDFFA-457E-4DF3-8738-DD5831498F4F.png
    F1DBDFFA-457E-4DF3-8738-DD5831498F4F.png
    561.2 KB · Views: 21
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back