DIY Shielded IEC Power Cord

Cant, we fix a normal 3 pin Indian plug at the wall socket end? I understand that cable size could be an issue to pass through the normal 6A or 16A plug - but just curious to know.

If doing DIY with 3 x 4 sq mm wires, any particular size of the braided sleeve I should be looking at? (Or they are quite expandable)
Does the ground wire have to be 4 sq mm?

I'm not sure Mayank, I just used the lapp cable. Didn't bother about the sleeve nor the heat shrink.
After replacing the dac cable the sound now seems a bit louder at same volume levels.

Cant, we fix a normal 3 pin Indian plug at the wall socket end? I understand that cable size could be an issue to pass through the normal 6A or 16A plug - but just curious to know.
I have done that, fixed an anchor 6A 3 pin plug and plugged in the cable of power amp directly to wall socket, it sounds best to me.

518475FC-5D7F-46D2-A48B-4DCCFE47493A.jpeg

After the success of 6sqmm Finolex wire Power Cable build I did quite a lot of experiments with power cables from AliExpress, these are the few remaining with me, I will briefly describe my experience with these cables. Cable naysayers and puritans can safely ignore this post :).

From Below upwards..
1. 4sqmm finolex braided ( black and green cable) - Very simple build, 6 cables 2 each for L,N and E, doesn't do anything to the SQ, just better than Stock cable because of larger guage wires, not much improved EMI / RF blocking.
2. Siltech copy Cable (sky blue one) With hospital grade connectors ( total cost 4k) - very resolving build, might turn bit bright depending on end equipment characteristics, improved soundstage, dynamics, far better than any stock cable. Decent EMI /RF blocking.
3. Furutech copy With Connectors ( black smaller inside blue) total cost 3k - very warm sound signature, dampens a lot, cuts brightness very much at the expense of resolution and dynamics, pretty good if you are pairing with bright electronics decent EMI blocking
4. McIntosh copy Green Cable (total cost 4k) - huge 20mm diameter, not so flexible cable, amazing SQ improvement, all qualities of Siltech #2 plus amazing 3d holographic effects, works pretty well with any component. One of My current favorite amongst them for power amp and preamp. Impressed with it, I got 4 of them. Very laborious to fix the connectors, but worthwhile in every way. Goes very well any tube components.

After getting bothered with laborious task of connection of power cables, I thought of buying ready-made ones instead. These two upper ones are bought ready made from AliExpress. Though not DIY I feel mentioning them is apt here.

5. Accuphase 40th anniversary copy (Gold color) (5.2k after customs) - cable is thick, impressive build quality, weighs 1kg each. Warm without loss of resolution, Superb EMI blocking, very sleek connectors, looks quite premium. It works pretty well with all "Schiit Gear" I had. Be it Vidar or Gungnir DAC, I Preferred it over more expensive branded ones. Very detailed, full bodied vocals, without brightness & no major drawbacks. Needs bit burn in. If you don't want DIY, just give it a chance.

6. Furutech premium copy (top most Shiny Black) ( 6k after customs) - almost same as siltech #2, with better EMI blocking and more full bodied sound. Looks quite premium.

Nowadays, they're charging customs for everything, and since I have quite reached what I'm looking for, with added work pressures, I haven't been experimenting.
I have tried quite a few other cables (Speaker and ICs also which is inappropriate for current discussion), Few are unbelievably good but many didn't standout much ; so Anyone interested can pm me for further details.

Last edited:
View attachment 41966

After the success of 6sqmm Finolex wire Power Cable build I did quite a lot of experiments with power cables from AliExpress, these are the few remaining with me, I will briefly describe my experience with these cables. Cable naysayers and puritans can safely ignore this post :).

From Below upwards..
1. 4sqmm finolex braided ( black and green cable) - Very simple build, 6 cables 2 each for L,N and E, doesn't do anything to the SQ, just better than Stock cable because of larger guage wires, not much improved EMI / RF blocking.
2. Siltech copy Cable (sky blue one) With hospital grade connectors ( total cost 4k) - very resolving build, might turn bit bright depending on end equipment characteristics, improved soundstage, dynamics, far better than any stock cable. Decent EMI /RF blocking.
3. Furutech copy With Connectors ( black smaller inside blue) total cost 3k - very warm sound signature, dampens a lot, cuts brightness very much at the expense of resolution and dynamics, pretty good if you are pairing with bright electronics decent EMI blocking
4. McIntosh copy Green Cable (total cost 4k) - huge 20mm diameter, not so flexible cable, amazing SQ improvement, all qualities of Siltech #2 plus amazing 3d holographic effects, works pretty well with any component. One of My current favorite amongst them for power amp and preamp. Impressed with it, I got 4 of them. Very laborious to fix the connectors, but worthwhile in every way. Goes very well any tube components.

After getting bothered with laborious task of connection of power cables, I thought of buying ready-made ones instead. These two upper ones are bought ready made from AliExpress. Though not DIY I feel mentioning them is apt here.

5. Accuphase 40th anniversary copy (Gold color) (5.2k after customs) - cable is thick, impressive build quality, weighs 1kg each. Warm without loss of resolution, Superb EMI blocking, very sleek connectors, looks quite premium. It works pretty well with all "Schiit Gear" I had. Be it Vidar or Gungnir DAC, I Preferred it over more expensive branded ones. Very detailed, full bodied vocals, without brightness & no major drawbacks. Needs bit burn in. If you don't want DIY, just give it a chance.

6. Furutech premium copy (top most Shiny Black) ( 6k after customs) - almost same as siltech #2, with better EMI blocking and more full bodied sound. Looks quite premium.

Nowadays, they're charging customs for everything, and since I have quite reached what I'm looking for, with added work pressures, I haven't been experimenting.
I have tried quite a few other cables (Speaker and ICs also which is inappropriate for current discussion), Few are unbelievably good but many didn't standout much ; so Anyone interested can pm me for further details.
You have mentioned the RFI/EMI blocking characteristics for each cable. How did you determine this?
Also, there are threads other than this one for speaker cables and IC's - please post your speaker cable and IC impressions there. I'm sure, along with me others too will/may be interested in your experiences.

View attachment 41966

From Below upwards..

Great experiments. Did you also happen try out the lapp cable available on hifimart?

You have mentioned the RFI/EMI blocking characteristics for each cable.
That's a good question, I'm not a technical person, my assessment of RF/ EMI blocking is based on ability to reduce the audible hum when nothing is playing (from near the drivers), and darkest background I can get ; sometimes I connect to subwoofer and listen for hum, at full volume when nothing is playing, I know these are crude methods but that's what is relevant to me, YMMV. In my experience, JPS labs cable had the darkest background followed by Cardas Golden Reference ( which I'm using currently), though my overall best power cable continues to be by Lessloss ( though beyond my budget) as heard at my setup. I can courier the cables to anyone who's willing to test them Electrically, for a more meaningful discussion.

Did you also happen try out the lapp cable available on hifimart
Nope, that and audio art I'm yet to listen to. Out of hifimart.com cables, The barracuda from sound foundations was too warm & damper than my preferred sound. The McIntosh and Accuphase cables are better than basic branded Pangea cables by a decent margin ; again YMMV.

Let's not digress further from the topic of DIY Power Cables, In my experience, the cable characters matter a lot followed by connectors quality and aliexpress has innumerable options for experimentation at budget. Since most of the cables are made in China, with not much patented technologies, the copy cables might suit many people on budget.

Great experiments. Did you also happen try out the lapp cable available on hifimart?

I have compared Lapp cables with Furutech original cables both with same furutech connectors. Furutech is more resolving, lower noise floor, with precise tone and has more presence on upper mids and treble. Lapp cable was little grainy but with even presence and more bass and mids than furutech cables . Mind that Lapp cable is 20 times cheaper than furutech, it’s still must have upgrade from any stock cable. Use best connector you can get. Then choose cable. Connectors matter more than cables.

Need insight from power cable DIY guys, anybody tried these hacks, What's the experience?

1. Lifting the Ground, quite an impressive experience from here
Ground Lift

2. Adding Ferrite Cores to reduce the EMI interference with audio signals, like these cheaper ones found on
Amazon India

2. Adding Ferrite Cores to reduce the EMI interference with audio signals, like these cheaper ones found on
Amazon India
I am using such ferrite cores. Ordered many of them in different sizes. Some I am using on power cables. Some on speaker wire. But there isn't any audible difference. Though I didn't have any hum/static etc to start with. So can't say if they really work. But they are very cheap and I don't mind sticking one on every cable I own :D

Ps: I have bought some active rfi emi filters that I will be soon testing out. Haven't got the time yet.

Need insight from power cable DIY guys, anybody tried these hacks, What's the experience?

1. Lifting the Ground, quite an impressive experience from here
Ground Lift
If you read that carefully you will see that his use case is specific and he has elaborated that in his post. Is there a specific problem that you're trying to solve? Is your problem the same as his? Seems like he has a ground loop problem - do you have the same problem? What I'm saying is that the benefit that he got by lifting the ground is specific to the problem he was facing. YMMV!

Amazon India
Ferrite beads are designed to block SPECIFIC frequencies. It's not a "one size fits all" though many use it that way, and in many cases causes loss of detail. Again, YMMV!

I am using such ferrite cores. Ordered many of them in different sizes. Some I am using on power cables. Some on speaker wire. But there isn't any audible difference. Though I didn't have any hum/static etc to start with. So can't say if they really work. But they are very cheap and I don't mind sticking one on every cable I own :D
Exactly my experience!

Any one compared same power cable with shielding connected to ground and sheilding not connected to ground at all, can be interesting, what do you prefer?

Any one compared same power cable with shielding connected to ground and sheilding not connected to ground at all, can be interesting, what do you prefer?
In the area that I live in Mumbai, there's absolutely no difference between shield connected to ground vs. connected to ground.

Last edited:
In the area that I live in Mumbai, there's absolutely no difference between shield connected to ground vs. connected to ground.
Where i live, if i connect shield to ground, clarity increases but dynamics vanish completely and seem unmusical. I now have all power cables without shield connected to ground at either end.

In my rather limited experience, shielded power cords somehow constrain the dynamics though they do lower noise floor. I prefer unshielded.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back