Does projector+screen recommended for only 9 ft viewing distance?

I have a similar viewing distance in my room probably a foot more, but the viewing experience has been quite pleasurable.

Santy,

My view is that if someone has less visitors or neighbors then living room is a better place to install the projector but even if someone has a lot of visitors etc still the bedroom factor may not help as one will have to attend the people who have come over therefore movie as it is has to be paused or stopped.

While many a times the movies are watched after dinner therefore the issue of sunlight, visitors, neighbors etc may vanish big time and if televisions are in bedroom's (which is in most cases) then some of the member/s can catch up their soap operas etc while fortunately the projector can still beam in the living room.

As far as abandon of tasks by family members for sitting to watch the movie should not be a issue because when the family goes to watch movie in a cinema hall, they do abandon their task or we can safely say that they complete their respective home task and then go to a movie hall, so similarly the projector should be beamed once when the family is done with their tasks.

On the other hand if a projector is installed in the bedroom and if we are going to have visitors, neighbors and friends, then many may not prefer them entering their private space. While some of the family member/s may not want to watch the movie and want to sleep but will be deprived as others want the projector to beam. Such and related problems may not surface if the beaming is in living room.

You are 100% right Santy that a lot depends upon factors and we have to get it right as per our needs.

It is a wonderful discussion Santy.

V.

Yes it was that way initially. But the cot in the other room was not large enough to accommodate my kid who rolls a lot. So got a large custom made mattress in the HT room which is big enough to accommodate everything. It becomes a diwan when rolled to the sides. People who visited my home always felt its a dedicated HT. Its all about planning I believe.

If I am asked, I would always prefer to have projector setup in bedroom (if its big enough) rather than living room when dedicated room is not possible. Controlling light, visitors and neighbours botheration, stuffing a TV in same room, elderly in home preferring soap operas on satellite channels, and so on.. Not everyone in the family would abandon their task and sit for a movie. Imagine small kids playing in the dark? These seem to be very challenging for me.

Again, it differs from home to home, depending on lot of factors. So one has to think ahead and decide what's most suitable for them amidst of all compulsions and limitations.

Last edited:
I watch movies on a 120" screen from about 11 to 12 feet and i have never felt it was overwhelming. Even DVDs look good (i guess they are upscaled to some extent by the BD player), especially the newer DVDs are extremely good. I watched Talaash from a DVD recently and i couldn't tell if it was DVD or Bluray and never saw any pixels at all even from 6 feet away.

I have the same distance, about 11.5, I bought a 119in screen and I'm about to install it, but I was reading that it's too big for this throw, I was giving up for a smaller one, then I read your post... What do you recommend? Are you ok with it? Viewing is good?

You can go bit bigger, up to 96 in wide (110 in diagonal). I have a 131 inch screen and I seat 12 ft away. No problem at all.

In fact, you get better immersion, getting closer to imax style. I would suggest get projector first and project on wall to see what size you are comfortable with. Then buy the screen.

And I was wondering that 119" for 12ft would be too large, lol...

As a rule of thumb, i favor to take a seat around concerning two x the screen dimension away.

Just right on behalf of me. Thus, my screen is concerning six foot from concerning eleven foot away. will stretch to seven however like six feet screen approx.

Once issue i might recommend is that you simply shoot a projected image before choosing your screen size. That approach you'll be able to tinker and see what size you're pleased with before you dish out on a screen.

When all aforesaid and done, seven foot isn't that abundant larger than six once you assume that it's more to every aspect of the screen 3" screen + border ???

As for the Z3 looks like a decent plan. go looking, get some opinions and raise a lot of queries here. Finally with the lens shift, you'll not even ought to mount the Z3.

I've just double checked the distance from the projector to the screen and therefore the scoop would be ten feet. Viewing distance still nine feet

Hope this helps slightly !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back