Does projector+screen recommended for only 9 ft viewing distance?

Go for 80" screen, which should be good for 9ft viewing distance.

You can try visiting FM's from your region who has PJ setup. That will give you an idea about your comfort for viewing distance.

You can try sourcing from amazon.com to reduce cost/carried by a friend to India - if thats feasible. Its worth wait, if someone is coming say Nov-Dec

Ok, the screen size is best to keep at 80" based on my room size and possible distance between the screen and projector. I will be happy even with this modest size.

The type of screen, screen cloth, manual or motorised can be decided later.

Now, the most important is to select the projector. The popular brands seems to be Epson, Panasonic, BenQ, Mitsubishi, Optoma etc....

I have to search feedback and reviews. But folks any specific suggestion? Say in three price points :

1) below 75k
2) between 75k to 1 La
3) between 1 La to 1.4 La

I will mainly use the projector in dark ambience during night and projector has to provide a good black level, as I get from my Plasma. Can any LED projector be a choice?

How quick a projector becomes out of production? Do people get the spare parts and lamp for any discontinued projector?

Last edited:
Hi Amitnoida
My viewing room is 9'x12' and I sit 9' from my 100" screen with no problems.
I can stand as close as I want with no image degradation so you should not have
a problem. The big factor will be the throw distance of the projector. I have an Optoma hd 23 ($900.00) at Bestbuy in U.S. see my home theater pics posted under my album. It's full 1080p resolution and my screen is 16x9 ratio. Happy viewing.

You can go bit bigger, up to 96 in wide (110 in diagonal). I have a 131 inch screen and I seat 12 ft away. No problem at all.

In fact, you get better immersion, getting closer to imax style. I would suggest get projector first and project on wall to see what size you are comfortable with. Then buy the screen.

Decide on the projector, buy it and project it on the wall to find the exact size in which you are comfortable and then get the screen

Thanks Jeyaraj, Hummel and Manoj for your valuable inputs.

@Hummel,
First welcome in our HFV forum. Your posting indeed gives me high confidence for going ahead for Projector in my small room. Your posting will help me in persuading and convincing my wife. She is not 100% inclined yet, but I am confident that after putting the projector and screen I will see big smile on her face. After all, it is our bedroom, where wife's acceptance matters a lot. Can you please share your view on Optoma hd 23, specially on lens shift and fan noise. What's the distance between your screen and projector lens?

@Jeyaraj,
Thank you buddy. I will go through the models you have suggested.

@Manoj,
The bigger screen size is a good idea. But I have to check the possibility based on the gap betweeen my two front speakers. Both you and Jeyaraj suggested to decide and purchase the Projector first and finalise the screen size based on the actual viewing area possible with that projector. Really practical and methodical approach.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Your posting will help me in persuading and convincing my wife. She is not 100% inclined yet, but I am confident that after putting the projector and screen I will see big smile on her face.

When I got my projector, my wife said that you are wasting so much money. She was in fact against my decision of getting one. But once we got it, installed it in the living room, she looked like one who enjoyed it the most! :D

Now, whenever a topic regarding movies is on among her family & friends, she is the first one to boast about her home theater magic!:D

Should not be a tough task for you convincing your wife once you guys watch movies with beautiful landscapes & beaches of Fiji!

I would suggest that instead of a screen, have a white/ grey paint to avoid flutter/ waves issue. To cover up the patch, you can try something innovative, like a screen with printed family photo - that goes up when you watch movie.

Sounds like a great idea for my own bedroom now ;)

I would suggest that instead of a screen, have a white/ grey paint to avoid flutter/ waves issue. To cover up the patch, you can try something innovative, like a screen with printed family photo - that goes up when you watch movie.

Sounds like a great idea for my own bedroom now ;)

If I am right OP has TV installed on the wall and needs the screen in front of TV when using projector.

Projector in bedroom is not a bad idea, especially when space constraints are present. This is how it looks like :eek:hyeah:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ter-acer-k130-led-projector-3.html#post393627

I used panelling to run the cables.

But, when using pull down screens do watch out for the wavy fluttery effects from running fan. I am using a 110" painted screen and the viewing distance is roughly 11ft. HT is worth it, for every movie fan. Go for it !!! :clapping:

I support your view.

V.

I have a projector setup in my living room. Besides that, I have extra stuff like manual screen, ceiling mount, 20-25ft hdmi cable, maybe my pj will also become spare if I upgrade - still I won't go for a bedroom projector. If something needs to be watched on projector, we just go to the living room.

My personal view is that your respective wife has a very good understanding of the end result over clumsy etc.

However it is also true that there will be people who will love to have such set ups in their bedroom and related, so it end's up to one's choice and related.

V.

@Anant,

Hmm.., I think you are talking sense and practical aspects. Actually, my wife is also discouraging to make the bedroom further clumsy.

I have my entire setup (5.1 speakers, projector, 100" fixed screen, wooden rack with all a/v equipments, acoustic panels, HTPC, recliner, etc... in my bedroom. Well, I guess it is unfair to say so. I would rather say I have a king size bed in my HT room. :eek:hyeah: :D

Santy,

If i remember correctly in your post not very long ago where you said that you have a dedicated room for watching movies. I did not know that you shifted everything to your bedroom otherwise i always thought that you are from the camp who believes a dedicated room is to go forward.

It seems your bedroom is of a very large size to fit so many things of the audio video gear, recliners and so on, congratulations. In general most of the rooms are of 15 X 12 while many of them being much smaller like 12 X 10.

It is very good that you have a recliners too in your bedroom because to watch movies from bed with most of them would be not comfortable in long run, especially who watch daily or alternative days large video contents. In-fact there will be people who will watch even for long durations on a ordinary chair which will not be comfortable etc but it suits them.

Therefore i said in the earlier post too that it is also true there will be people who will love to have such set ups in their bedroom and related, so it end's up to one's choice and related.

In my personal view a dedicated entertainment room is the way to go forward but may not be viable to many of us because of the space constraints etc. Further i also think that in many a cases living room would be a better option compared to a bedroom for getting into the projector world.

V.

Last edited:
Yes it was that way initially. But the cot in the other room was not large enough to accommodate my kid who rolls a lot. So got a large custom made mattress in the HT room which is big enough to accommodate everything. It becomes a diwan when rolled to the sides. People who visited my home always felt its a dedicated HT. Its all about planning I believe.

If I am asked, I would always prefer to have projector setup in bedroom (if its big enough) rather than living room when dedicated room is not possible. Controlling light, visitors and neighbours botheration, stuffing a TV in same room, elderly in home preferring soap operas on satellite channels, and so on.. Not everyone in the family would abandon their task and sit for a movie. Imagine small kids playing in the dark? These seem to be very challenging for me.

Again, it differs from home to home, depending on lot of factors. So one has to think ahead and decide what's most suitable for them amidst of all compulsions and limitations.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back