Dog Lovers.. please help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sound1

A few words of advice:
However much you will be able to exercise them, a large-ish dog needs space to run around freely.
This is a challenge in an apartment.

Coming to Dogo Argentino. It is a big dog and definitely needs an independent house with a compound.
These breeds are not native and demand fancy prices. Fancy breeds will be from a very small gene pool in India.
Expect health issues.

Boxers can adapt to apartment living. We used to have one. Currently we have an English Bulldog and a Boxer-Pitbull mix.
The Boxer-Pitbull needs a lot of exercise, real hyper rascal. Adopted him from CUPA. Have had a Mudhol and a Doberman earlier.

If you are intent on large-ish dogs and can provide them free running around, here are a list of Indian breeds to consider:
Indie (best bet)
Mudhol/Pashmi
Rajapalyam/Chippiparrai
Combai
Kanni
The above breeds (except Indie) need a loving but firm owner, otherwise they can be quite a handful.

Please do take a look at CUPA Second Chance. There are lots of dogs in need of a caring home, especially due to Covid.
PM me if you need contacts at shelters in Bangalore.

BTW, all puppies/dogs chew up stuff (shoes and everything else).
And plan on feeding them good quality food, like a whole lot of meat :D

Cheers,
Raghu
Thank You for your detailed response @raghupb ! Just reading through what everyone is sharing and felt that I know next to nothing about dogs :) Will definitely contact you for details on CUPA.. I didn't know we could get pure bred dogs apart from the breeders... Also - how you managed to get hold of Boxer-Pitbull mix?

Also - how you managed to get hold of Boxer-Pitbull mix?
Ahem! Leesten carefully, I'm going to say thees only once [from 'Allo 'Allo].
First you need a Boxer of a particular gender. Then you need a Pitbull of the opposite gender. Then... :p

All the best in your search. I hope you find your companion and enjoy his/her company for many years!

Thank You for your detailed response @raghupb ! Just reading through what everyone is sharing and felt that I know next to nothing about dogs :) Will definitely contact you for details on CUPA.. I didn't know we could get pure bred dogs apart from the breeders... Also - how you managed to get hold of Boxer-Pitbull mix?
If you visit a shelter you will be surprised how many "pure-breds" are abandoned or given away because folks can't maintain them.
Especially, Rottweilers.

The boxer-pitbull mix, we got lucky. There was an "accident" in someone's home (as @keith_correa described it).

Cheers,
Raghu

Ahem! Leesten carefully, I'm going to say thees only once [from 'Allo 'Allo].
First you need a Boxer of a particular gender. Then you need a Pitbull of the opposite gender. Then... :p

All the best in your search. I hope you find your companion and enjoy his/her company for many years!
I KNEW IT!! Of course it wasn't delivered by Amazon!!! (pun intended)

If you visit a shelter you will be surprised how many "pure-breds" are abandoned or given away because folks can't maintain them.
Especially, Rottweilers.

The boxer-pitbull mix, we got lucky. There was an "accident" in someone's home (as @keith_correa described it).

Cheers,
Raghu
Well - I just don't want to be one of those guys so taking my time. I don't even know I want a dog anymore... thinking thinkin.....

Well - I just don't want to be one of those guys so taking my time. I don't even know I want a dog anymore... thinking thinkin.....
Haha ... Cold feet ... Think hard!! But don't worry too much.
Naseeb mein hai toh, kutta ghar aa jayega bhai.
Apartment walkway mein uska/ki haggu uttane ki socho bas. :D

Cheers,
Raghu

Apartment walkway mein uska/ki haggu uttane ki socho bas. :D
Haggu solid hoga to theek ... else there is problem, making enemies in apartments. There are many problems which we can not envisage before. Most apartments have their balconies covered, means no way for the doggo to see any one. Before potty training, you can't take out in front of children to play with. Closed fencing means hardly stray dogs to bark at. At night dog commotion outside he/she will bark continuously disturbing your sleep. I have seen many people abandoning them as "too much barking ... sone nahi deta".

If you plan to walk your doggo outside, start taking when young so that neighbourhood stray identify as "own locality" dog, else they will try pouncing later. The domesticated will never be able to fight and you will have trouble keeping the trouble away. May be that's the reason why less than 0.01% people keep dogs. There is problem if you want to vacation as neither Railways nor Airlines allow pets along with, keeping at shelters is also not recommended. Remember, this bundle of joy also brings a lot of responsibilities.

Having grown up with dogs - always rescued - never bought - a few different breeds including Tibetan mastiff (sick didn't make it beyond 2 years), Gaddis (himalayan sheep dogs - I am from Uttarakhand), labs etc etc, I have to say there are massive advantages to a mutt/indie/pie/pariah/street/desi dog - Indian dogs from any state.

1 - They have the best immunity for our country's conditions.
2 - A well trained Indie is as good as a well trained many other dogs - I can't train my dogs for nothing - however my dad was a great dog trainer.
3 - They are very versatile and can survive almost anywhere in the country - negative temps or high.
4 - They are great apartment dogs and great farm house dogs. They do not smell as bad as a few of these other breeds.
5 - They are extremely good natured, but can be great guard dogs - if you train them to be.
6 - Easy fur management - compared to some other.
7 - Almost any VET even in the remotest part of the country understands these dog's physiology and issues very well.
8 - They develop the least amount of issues. I have a 15 year old in Delhi (called Mamba) and though he is losing his eye sight and hearing, he still runs around, guards his territory, hunts pigeons. Picked him up with no chance of survival - 15 years on - he is refusing to pass on the torch :p
9 - I have a rescued Himalayan sheep dog (Called Jhabroo) with me in Goa - another one who we picked up with no chance of survival - though meant to be in low temps - he has accepted the heat and humidity of Goa very well, 4 years old and took him only 1 year to adjust. He guards the house ferociously, and greets the guests like they are his. Untrained - just intelligent.
10 - Another mutt we have (called Mitti) with me in Goa, who adopted us - on her own - as a 1 month old pup, tried to give her away, but Jhabroo and Mitti were in love, they adopted each other - both neutered, the relationship is beautiful. A great team - Mitti the alarm module and Jhabroo the spiky aggressive protection. :)

Like I said I have had multiple dogs, always had dogs, never without one, cause there was always one to save - the street dogs have the best immunity, great resistance against local pests, least amount of issues as they grow old and inbreeding is not a concern. They are fit, healthy, extremely intelligent and a well trained indie is a great dog to have.

Having grown up with dogs - always rescued - never bought - a few different breeds including Tibetan mastiff (sick didn't make it beyond 2 years), Gaddis (himalayan sheep dogs - I am from Uttarakhand), labs etc etc, I have to say there are massive advantages to a mutt/indie/pie/pariah/street/desi dog - Indian dogs from any state.

1 - They have the best immunity for our country's conditions.
2 - A well trained Indie is as good as a well trained many other dogs - I can't train my dogs for nothing - however my dad was a great dog trainer.
3 - They are very versatile and can survive almost anywhere in the country - negative temps or high.
4 - They are great apartment dogs and great farm house dogs. They do not smell as bad as a few of these other breeds.
5 - They are extremely good natured, but can be great guard dogs - if you train them to be.
6 - Easy fur management - compared to some other.
7 - Almost any VET even in the remotest part of the country understands these dog's physiology and issues very well.
8 - They develop the least amount of issues. I have a 15 year old in Delhi (called Mamba) and though he is losing his eye sight and hearing, he still runs around, guards his territory, hunts pigeons. Picked him up with no chance of survival - 15 years on - he is refusing to pass on the torch :p
9 - I have a rescued Himalayan sheep dog (Called Jhabroo) with me in Goa - another one who we picked up with no chance of survival - though meant to be in low temps - he has accepted the heat and humidity of Goa very well, 4 years old and took him only 1 year to adjust. He guards the house ferociously, and greets the guests like they are his. Untrained - just intelligent.
10 - Another mutt we have (called Mitti) with me in Goa, who adopted us - on her own - as a 1 month old pup, tried to give her away, but Jhabroo and Mitti were in love, they adopted each other - both neutered, the relationship is beautiful. A great team - Mitti the alarm module and Jhabroo the spiky aggressive protection. :)

Like I said I have had multiple dogs, always had dogs, never without one, cause there was always one to save - the street dogs have the best immunity, great resistance against local pests, least amount of issues as they grow old and inbreeding is not a concern. They are fit, healthy, extremely intelligent and a well trained indie is a great dog to have.
You made a great case not to discriminate local breeds @chander.
wow! that’s a amazing lifetime with our best friends.
you can add this to your list above: They listen to HMV!

1627541027519.jpeg

You made a great case not to discriminate local breeds @chander.
Yup simplest to maintain - least fussy about weather and location, least hassle and long lasting health rich friendship. Natural selection and years of evolution to suit their surrounding. I have nothing against pedigree high breeds, all dogs are beautiful people, most animals for that matter (except monkeys :p).

Last edited:
Yup simplest to maintain - least fussy about weather and location, least hassle and long lasting health rich friendship. Natural selection and years of evolution to suit their surrounding. I have nothing against pedigree high breeds, all dogs are beautiful people, most animals for that matter (except monkeys :p).
Did you say monkeys?
last week I saw this on the road. Now tell me they are not beautiful people!

Attachments

• DAEBBE5C-726A-401E-A33B-FA1A9F16BA66.jpeg
    DAEBBE5C-726A-401E-A33B-FA1A9F16BA66.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 23
all dogs are beautiful people, most animals for that matter (except monkeys :p).
Well monkeys are considered "real" but little Hanuman Ji, at least in Shimla. A few years ago I was there and they were jumping on Tin Sheds causing a lot of noise. The resident just chanted "Hanuman Ji Ab Bas Bhi Karo" and magic happened. Everything went quiet!

Well monkeys are considered "real" but little Hanuman Ji, at least in Shimla. A few years ago I was there and they were jumping on Tin Sheds causing a lot of noise. The resident just chanted "Hanuman Ji Ab Bas Bhi Karo" and magic happened. Everything went quiet!
Wish I could chant “kutta ji ab bas karo “ to my incessantly barking neighbors dog and see similar magic happen!

Always be honest with your dog!

On a slight tangent I read this paper recently that suggests dogs know when people are lying!!!!

On a slight tangent I read this paper recently that suggests dogs know when people are lying!!!!
I saw a video on YouTube wherein a lady was eating from empty plate and the dog sensed and walked away. Some are dumb but many just don't argue :cool:

Unfortunately Our Hindu Mythology has no Dog as a deity ;)
I was wondering about that…
Mans best friend and all, but not much of a role in religions with widespread following?
Buddhism might have some moral tales with dogs, but then Buddhism does not have a concept of a god.
Gods and Dogs don’t coexist it seems …
I mean no offence to any one or any system of beliefs but why this discrimination?

Last edited:
I was wondering about that…
Mans best friend and all, but not much of a role in religions with widespread following?
Buddhism might have some moral tales with dogs, but then Buddhism does not have a concept of a god.
Gods and Dogs don’t coexist it seems …
I mean no offence to any one or any system of beliefs but why this discrimination?
Reminded me of an old joke …apologies if it sounds offensive to some …have you heard of a dyslexic atheist who did not believe in dog ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back