DTS X rival to Dolby Atmos

In my opinion to have good overhead effects/experience atleast height speakers will be required in DTS X.
There is a question in my mind will dolby atmos enabled speakers will do the same job while playing DTS X ?
Denon have already announced DTS X firmware updates in their flagship models on after Jan 26.

Damn. How many more channels of sound are these guys going to put in a home.
I have a sneaky suspicion that the audio industry is conspiring with the real estate industry to force us into buying bigger homes and acquiring larger mortgages.

Quoting an infamous and contemporary politician's line:
"Sab mile huye hai ji"

Cheers,
Raghu

That's why i will always stick to Stereo(2.1) setup in my life.
I may spend 500 grand on stereo, but will nev nev ever buy an AVR in my life period. :cool::eek:hyeah:

No different than Atmos. Both formats deliver a lossless immersive audio experience. Comes down to the mix. 'Ex Machina' was a dialogue driven movie, so mostly ambience in the surrounds and heights. 'American Ultra' had more aggressive surround and overhead activity.

@sdurani - I recollect that you provided an image earlier in this thread abt DTS X speaker layout..

Assuming one is not able to put speakers on ceiling, and uses front height speakers in say 7.x layout, i guess the user will benefit only if the speakers are tilted towards the listener...

even online reviews on DTS X is awaited...not much available unlike Atmos.. may be it would take few more months time..

@sdurani - I recollect that you provided an image earlier in this thread abt DTS X speaker layout..
I posted a screen grab of the mixing tool because it showed where the speakers were. But here's a better graphic:

attachment.php

The initial consumer version of DTS:X (there is a separate theatrical version) will be limited to 7.1.4 (no Wides, like Atmos has).
Assuming one is not able to put speakers on ceiling, and uses front height speakers in say 7.x layout, i guess the user will benefit only if the speakers are tilted towards the listener...
Front height speakers will give you a tall soundstage up front, but not the impression of sound overhead (the way DTS:X and Atmos want). If you're limited to placing height speakers high up on the walls (rather than the ceiling), then you'd be better off placing them high up along your sides instead of up front. This way, at least height information will image above you.

I posted a screen grab of the mixing tool because it showed where the speakers were. But here's a better graphic:

attachment.php

The initial consumer version of DTS:X (there is a separate theatrical version) will be limited to 7.1.4 (no Wides, like Atmos has). Front height speakers will give you a tall soundstage up front, but not the impression of sound overhead (the way DTS:X and Atmos want). If you're limited to placing height speakers high up on the walls (rather than the ceiling), then you'd be better off placing them high up along your sides instead of up front. This way, at least height information will image above you.

Thanks @sdurani.

Please provide pointers on how to differentiate the AVR if it supports wide config..

Looks like ceiling speakers becomes a must to enjoy the new gen audio...

Please provide pointers on how to differentiate the AVR if it supports wide config..
When it comes to the new immersive audio formats, Atmos supports wides, DTS:X and Auro don't.

Most brands of AVRs support wides, Yamaha doesn't.
Looks like ceiling speakers becomes a must to enjoy the new gen audio...
That would be optimal for Atmos and DTS:X. But let's not make "perfect" the enemy of "good". Some height effect is better than no height effect.

If you can mount a pair of height speakers high up on the side walls, then that will be good (even if it's not perfect). So if you have a 5.1 set-up, just 2 more speakers will get you an Atmos/DTS:X set-up.

Then it's a matter of shopping for an AVR that fits your budget.

Anyone tried the DTS X (or) Dolby Atmos BR Rip's..If so what is the least file size of the Rips..

Most BR Rips have a minimum of 748 Kbps DTS lossy (or) Dolby Digital lossy 5.1 tracks . Do we get DTS X tracks in 748 Kbps (or) Dolby Atmos in lossy format?

How about auro3d .It is the most preffered format in cinema theaters . I do not see Auro 3d in any of the receivers .

Actually Auro 3 D would have been simplistic approach for home theater with 2 front heights, 2 surround heights & with/without 1 Voice of god center ceiling speaker.. So a 9.x (or) 10.x was very much likely and easy and not demanding speaker placement like Dolby atmos (or) claimed more flexible speaker placement of DTS X.

So a 9.x (or) 10.x was very much likely and easy and not demanding speaker placement like Dolby atmos (or) claimed more flexible speaker placement of DTS X.
When it comes to speaker placement, Atmos allowed users to choose from 10 overhead locations and also had support for Wides. Auro had none of that flexibility for it's height speakers AND did not support Wides.

But the worlds greatest speaker layout is meaningless if you cannot get movie studios to use your format. And that's where Auro failed.

By comparison, in the short time that DTS:X has been on consumer gear, there are already 12 BDs and 7 UHDs released. And the DTS:X speaker layout is compatible with Atmos placement.

Even if Auro is "the most preffered format in cinema theaters" in India, that hasn't translated to home video at all. There are 15 desi movies on BD with Atmos soundtracks; zero Auro titles.

When it comes to speaker placement, Atmos allowed users to choose from 10 overhead locations and also had support for Wides. Auro had none of that flexibility for it's height speakers AND did not support Wides.

But the worlds greatest speaker layout is meaningless if you cannot get movie studios to use your format. And that's where Auro failed.

By comparison, in the short time that DTS:X has been on consumer gear, there are already 12 BDs and 7 UHDs released. And the DTS:X speaker layout is compatible with Atmos placement.

Even if Auro is "the most preffered format in cinema theaters" in India, that hasn't translated to home video at all. There are 15 desi movies on BD with Atmos soundtracks; zero Auro titles.

On the contrary , I think Auro3d is standard on almost all the digital cinema theaters in the world . The no. of titles is far greater than Atmos or DTS -X . In a digital theater the specs are different I suppose . Sometimes , too many speakers do not add value

Wides was the best (IMO) that could happen to Horizontal layout (Audyssey DSX & DTS Neo X).

Front & surround Heights are very easy for anybody at home than the demanding ceiling speakers to recreate the movie theater environment.. Atlest in India, where we have concrete roof's..

Very much indeed.. Think DTS should have acquired Auro 3D, like they did with SRS. It would have stayed on for sometime..

Read somewhere, DTS X doesn't support wides..not very sure..But DTS X support Dolby's identical ceiling speaker layout..

Think this is partly because of Studio's and lack of access to affordable AVR here.. Denon & Marantz were the only one's to support Auro 3D on the AVR, which were extremely pricey.. This may have turned the BD mastering to DTS/Dolby than Auro 3D.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back