Entry level AV receiver - need advice

Ok.. If it is most recent model, then one of the HDMI inputs would be labelled as ARC.. Just watch it closely, beside the port..

Your TV has has the Dolby & DTS decoders built in.. Since there are no digital output options, you wouldn't be able to get 5.1 output from the TV..

But, you can add a simple Android TV Box from amazon.in for 3K.. This will allow you to play all the digital files from pendrive / External HD.. Most of these Android TV box have optical out.. So connecting to AVR / soundabr can be good option here..

What is your budget for a soundbar (or) a capable 5.1 entertainment system ?..
25k max or 27k. my tv is hardly 3 weeks old and confirmed with lg it doesnt have hdmi arc in it :-(.

25k max or 27k.

Two options..

Option 1 - Would you be fine with a used 5.1 AVR usualy with 4- 5 HDMI inputs from local Forum members in our city?.. You an get an used one between with in 15K.. And spend the remaining money on Android TV box and speakers.. If you are fine, this would be better..

Option 2 - Spend on brand new 5.1 AVR from Pioneer VSX 330 for 21K and progressively spend on wall mountable bookshelf speakers & android tv box..

Two options..

Option 1 - Would you be fine with a used 5.1 AVR usualy with 4- 5 HDMI inputs from local Forum members in our city?.. You an get an used one between with in 15K.. And spend the remaining money on Android TV box and speakers.. If you are fine, this would be better..

Option 2 - Spend on brand new 5.1 AVR from Pioneer VSX 330 for 21K and progressively spend on wall mountable bookshelf speakers & android tv box..
what is your view on yamaha 1810 or 1840 or sony ht rt 3 or rt40. yamaha home theatres with speakers may be good for newbie like me. and i would prefer a new one for warranty purposes as it wud be a one time investment and my first one. again sorry to bother u if i get a good qv receiver i wont have need for android tv.box? is it right?

Last edited:
what is your view on yamaha 1810 or 1840 or sony ht rt 3 or rt40. yamaha home theatres with speakers may be good for newbie like me. and i would prefer a new one for warranty purposes as it wud be a one time investment and my first one

Ok.. Yamaha 1810/1840 will be a better choice.. There is an at-least an upgrade option of speakers & sub-woofers in the near future..

what is your view on yamaha 1810 or 1840 or sony ht rt 3 or rt40. yamaha home theatres with speakers may be good for newbie like me. and i would prefer a new one for warranty purposes as it wud be a one time investment and my first one. again sorry to bother u if i get a good qv receiver i wont have need for android tv.box? is it right?
Hi Why dont you try Onkyo 3800 Pacakge which is a good entry model and worth buying with service backup with your budget and android box.

Hi Why dont you try Onkyo 3800 Pacakge which is a good entry model and worth buying with service backup with your budget and android box.

Onkyo 3800 is also a similar HTIB package as Yamaha, but with passive sub output only.. Yamaha has a sub pre-out, which allows you to add an active subs later (when upgrading subwoofer).. Onkyo 3800 misses out on this..

Thanks for your inputs. I have a doubt should the receiver and TV both support Dolby DTS Output or either of one?

Because i bought a new TV LG TV - Model No. 43LJ525T https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-43LJ525T which has only 20Watts sound output Ultimate in Sound "Powerful Sound". 20 W powerful sound with Dolby digital plus and DTS support and on back of the TV it is mentioned that "Manufactured under License from Dolby Laboratories" unfortunately my TV has only headphone out port marked as HP Out Port, no HDMI ARC or Optical Out port. So my question is that to get surround sound from my TV should the music system / home theatre should also have Dolby DTS or the TV will send the 5.1 signals to the music system?

It is sad that the tv doesn't have hdmi arc or optical out. Big brands should not do this to their customers specially when the customer buys their product opposed to Vu, tcl or the likes.

Anyways, I read the manual and looks like your lg TV has licence for DTS 2.0 channel. Again, Arc will not return Lossless audio like Dolby True HD, if I'm not wrong. The best bet would be to connect all the devices to the receiver and send a hdmi to the TV. In this case, don't choose Sony's RT3 or Rt 40 as they have just one hdmi port. But Sony's IV-300 has 3 hdmi ports but the sound quality of this HTiB will not be good as Yamahas. The best idea would be getting a nice future proof AVR and upgrade the speakers slowly.

I'm also looking for a budget Home theater system for my TV and couldn't decide what to get under 35K. From my knowledge, Yamaha 1840 HTiB or yamaha htr-3067 AVR doesn't have HDCP 2.0 (Someone please confirm this) and can cause a problem in near future. Also, the budget AVRs hardly support Dolby vision. May be I'll settle with IV-300 for now, sell it after a couple of years and build a nice HT from scratch.

I'm also looking for a budget Home theater system for my TV and couldn't decide what to get under 35K. From my knowledge, Yamaha 1840 HTiB or yamaha htr-3067 AVR doesn't have HDCP 2.0 (Someone please confirm this) and can cause a problem in near future.

HDCP 2.0 is for content protection, not to create piracy.. Do you mean to say that it would cause problems when playing downloaded content?..

May be I'll settle with IV-300 for now, sell it after a couple of years and build a nice HT from scratch.

It has a passive subwoofer output.. Yamaha 1840 will be a better choice to build HT.. You can start replacing the HTIB speakers one by one & finally upgrade AVR.. This way you enjoy movies & music..

HDCP 2.0 is for content protection, not to create piracy.. Do you mean to say that it would cause problems when playing downloaded content?

Hi elango. Sorry for the typo but HDCP 2.2 will be imperative for any receivers to pass 4k content to the TV in coming days, if I’m not wrong. That means, streaming netflix 4k from chromecast or the likes connected to the AVR requires HDCP 2.2 support.

It has a passive subwoofer output.. Yamaha 1840 will be a better choice to build HT.. You can start replacing the HTIB speakers one by one & finally upgrade AVR.. This way you enjoy movies & music..

Thanks for the suggestion, Elango. I already have a decent studio setup for music. Liked 1840 a lot but the above said HDCP 2.2 issue is keeping me away.

Hi elango. Sorry for the typo but HDCP 2.2 will be imperative for any receivers to pass 4k content to the TV in coming days, if I’m not wrong. That means, streaming netflix 4k from chromecast or the likes connected to the AVR requires HDCP 2.2 support.

Not a problem.. Yes.. seems to be one of the important feature.. I recollect a similar discussion in an other thread.. Does this mean that when a 4K TV which doesn't have HDCP 2.2 and when connected to an AVR with HDCP 2.2 will not display any video?..

Thanks for the suggestion, Elango. I already have a decent studio setup for music. Liked 1840 a lot but the above said HDCP 2.2 issue is keeping me away.

Ok.. Don't let/wait for the HDCP 2.2 to deter your surround experience.. Anyways, your choice.. Do you already own a 4K TV?..

BTW, Yamaha 1840 seems to have HDCP 2.2.. Here is the link - https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/home_theater_systems/yht-1840/index.html You may also post this HDCP 2.2 query on Yamaha HTIB in Yamaha owners thread.. someone might provide clarity there...

Not a problem.. Yes.. seems to be one of the important feature.. I recollect a similar discussion in an other thread.. Does this mean that when a 4K TV which doesn't have HDCP 2.2 and when connected to an AVR with HDCP 2.2 will not display any video?..

I am no expert in this but looks like without HDCP 2.2 support, the TV will not display any thing.

Ok.. Don't let/wait for the HDCP 2.2 to deter your surround experience.. Anyways, your choice.. Do you already own a 4K TV?..

BTW, Yamaha 1840 seems to have HDCP 2.2.. Here is the link - https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/home_theater_systems/yht-1840/index.html You may also post this HDCP 2.2 query on Yamaha HTIB in Yamaha owners thread.. someone might provide clarity there..

Thanks, Elango. No, I don't own a 4k TV. might upgrade in a year when high speed Internet is affordable in my little town. As of now, 15 mbps with 100 GB fup costs Rs 1000. 100 mbps with 300 Gb cap costs ~8k.

Thanks for correcting me. Yes, !840 does have HDCP 2.2. Btw, It doesn't have Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master audio decoder. How better is it compared to Dolby digital plus or Dts?

Also, can I retrofit tweeters in the supplied speaker cabinets?

I am no expert in this but looks like without HDCP 2.2 support, the TV will not display any thing.

Thanks, Elango. No, I don't own a 4k TV. might upgrade in a year when high speed Internet is affordable in my little town.

Ok.. Me too not very sure.. But it might work.. Anyways, now that you don't have 4K TV, playing a FHD BR Rip shouldn't be a problem at all..

As of now, 15 mbps with 100 GB fup costs Rs 1000. 100 mbps with 300 Gb cap costs ~8k.

Ok.. Not bad.. I have no other broadband service in my place, other than BSNL.. Living with 8 Mbps/ 300 GB FUP.. Approx Rs 1,000..

Thanks for correcting me. Yes, !840 does have HDCP 2.2. Btw, It doesn't have Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master audio decoder. How better is it compared to Dolby digital plus or Dts?

HD Audio codec are lossless.. Just DTS/Dolby track are lossless.. But that said it may be hard to differentiate between a DTS / DTS-HD MA without looking in to AVR display.. Majority of my movie watching over the years have been with DTS audio tracks (1.5 Mbps) and happy with it..

Also, can I retrofit tweeters in the supplied speaker cabinets?

Don't think that would be possible.. The best way to re-use HTIB speakers would be to use them as heights, until you upgrade to better speakers..

It is sad that the tv doesn't have hdmi arc or optical out. Big brands should not do this to their customers specially when the customer buys their product opposed to Vu, tcl or the likes.

Anyways, I read the manual and looks like your lg TV has licence for DTS 2.0 channel. Again, Arc will not return Lossless audio like Dolby True HD, if I'm not wrong. The best bet would be to connect all the devices to the receiver and send a hdmi to the TV. In this case, don't choose Sony's RT3 or Rt 40 as they have just one hdmi port. But Sony's IV-300 has 3 hdmi ports but the sound quality of this HTiB will not be good as Yamahas. The best idea would be getting a nice future proof AVR and upgrade the speakers slowly.

I'm also looking for a budget Home theater system for my TV and couldn't decide what to get under 35K. From my knowledge, Yamaha 1840 HTiB or yamaha htr-3067 AVR doesn't have HDCP 2.0 (Someone please confirm this) and can cause a problem in near future. Also, the budget AVRs hardly support Dolby vision. May be I'll settle with IV-300 for now, sell it after a couple of years and build a nice HT from scratch.

Hi Vignesh,

Yes it is really sad that the new TV doesnt even have optical out port or HDMI ARC, surprisingly it has simplink and hdmi cec port
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI by using only one remote control. For example, by using the remote control of a television set to control a set-top box and/or DVD player. Up to 15 devices can be controlled.
Also LG Simplink allows the TV to control other devices connected through HDMI or vice versa.

My requirement is very clear, I am not an audiophile and may not become one, it will be a once a week or twice a week activity for me to watch movies with Dolby or Surround Sound. Also i understand that it is not only about buying the receiver, the content / audio video file also needs to be competent to put the digital sound output 5.1 or so. i feel that my investment should last for years i mean even if i can get a decent price for it after 4-5 years and feel the need for upgrade i can upgrade it. But spending 40K right now and repenting that it was a waste of money tomorrow will be tough to correct, so have kept my budget upto 25-28K and looking for HTIB. There is only a 1% possibility that my ears wont be satisfied with the default speakers that come with Yamaha or any other home theatre package and i may go for an upgrade. I think for my needs i should be satisfied with a Yamaha HT 1840. However will Audition the Hometheatres / Soundbars of Yamaha and also wait for the Grand AV Expo to be conducted at Chennai and after the Grand AV Expo will be buying. Hope at the Grand AV Expo there may be some offers.

Ok.. Me too not very sure.. But it might work.. Anyways, now that you don't have 4K TV, playing a FHD BR Rip shouldn't be a problem at all..

How to play videos from the pen drive. I'm not sure if my TV passes 5.1 channel sound to the receiver through hdmi-arc.

Ok.. Not bad.. I have no other broadband service in my place, other than BSNL.. Living with 8 Mbps/ 300 GB FUP.. Approx Rs 1,000..
I have a Bsnl connection as well. Your connection is almost same as my FTTH. :)

HD Audio codec are lossless.. Just DTS/Dolby track are lossless.. But that said it may be hard to differentiate between a DTS / DTS-HD MA without looking in to AVR display.. Majority of my movie watching over the years have been with DTS audio tracks (1.5 Mbps) and happy with it..

Going by my theoretical knowledge, those HD codecs support 24 bit resolution and hence dynamic range will be greater. Also, lossless audio is more useful for high fidelity music.

Don't think that would be possible.. The best way to re-use HTIB speakers would be to use them as heights, until you upgrade to better speakers..

Thats a valid point. I'm kinda inclining towards YHT-1840. What can be a good deal for 1840, now?
Edit: Just came to know that sun direct has its info channel in dolby atmos. Looks like Purchasing a future proof AVR is a must now :(

Last edited:
Hi Vignesh,

Yes it is really sad that the new TV doesnt even have optical out port or HDMI ARC, surprisingly it has simplink and hdmi cec port
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI by using only one remote control. For example, by using the remote control of a television set to control a set-top box and/or DVD player. Up to 15 devices can be controlled.
Also LG Simplink allows the TV to control other devices connected through HDMI or vice versa.

My requirement is very clear, I am not an audiophile and may not become one, it will be a once a week or twice a week activity for me to watch movies with Dolby or Surround Sound. Also i understand that it is not only about buying the receiver, the content / audio video file also needs to be competent to put the digital sound output 5.1 or so. i feel that my investment should last for years i mean even if i can get a decent price for it after 4-5 years and feel the need for upgrade i can upgrade it. But spending 40K right now and repenting that it was a waste of money tomorrow will be tough to correct, so have kept my budget upto 25-28K and looking for HTIB. There is only a 1% possibility that my ears wont be satisfied with the default speakers that come with Yamaha or any other home theatre package and i may go for an upgrade. I think for my needs i should be satisfied with a Yamaha HT 1840. However will Audition the Hometheatres / Soundbars of Yamaha and also wait for the Grand AV Expo to be conducted at Chennai and after the Grand AV Expo will be buying. Hope at the Grand AV Expo there may be some offers.

I would stay away from soundbars as the basic hometheater speaker arrangement protocol will not be met. The speakers are too close to the centre channel and that doesn't really give a good spatial effect. When is the Chennai AV Expo happening?

How to play videos from the pen drive. I'm not sure if my TV passes 5.1 channel sound to the receiver through hdmi-arc.

Does your FHD LED TV have android built-in?.. If so you can add Kodi media player from playstore, make necessary audio settings (bitstream), so it would pass thru 5.1 thru ARC..

But if you have more movies in HD/Pendrive, get an android TV box for 3K.. Can bitstream to AVR.. All HD Audio codecs..

Cool.. until sometime back, it was 4Mbps with 40GB limit per month :p.. They revised it recently..

Going by my theoretical knowledge, those HD codecs support 24 bit resolution and hence dynamic range will be greater. Also, lossless audio is more useful for high fidelity music.

Sure it does.. But with 40GB limit per month, i had to settle for least best 5.1 audio file.. So i choose files with DTS, so size is less and can get more files too in my FUP limit..

Thats a valid point. I'm kinda inclining towards YHT-1840. What can be a good deal for 1840, now?

Somewhere around 25 - 30K..

Edit: Just came to know that sun direct has its info channel in dolby atmos. Looks like Purchasing a future proof AVR is a must now :(
even seems yht 1840 will be best choice for me. however wait till av expo let us see if any new player or other company offers us a better deal. dont be in hurry.

Does your FHD LED TV have android built-in?.. If so you can add Kodi media player from playstore, make necessary audio settings (bitstream), so it would pass thru 5.1 thru ARC..
But if you have more movies in HD/Pendrive, get an android TV box for 3K.. Can bitstream to AVR.. All HD Audio codecs..
No, it doesn't. It is just a normal TV with a chrome cast connected. Will a raspberry pi setup suffice but I believe it doesn't have required horsepower to process FHD videos.
Can you suggest a few boxes so that I can look in to it. Apple TV would have been nice but pen drive is not supported.
Cool.. until sometime back, it was 4Mbps with 40GB limit per month :p.. They revised it recently..
lol. yes. Heard that Bsnl is all set to deploy FTTH in major towns. We will get it if it is cheaper. The private broadband is a complete rip off and I went to an extend to start my own broadband service here and dropped because of geographical reasons :(

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back