Entry level AV receiver - need advice

No, it doesn't. It is just a normal TV with a chrome cast connected. Will a raspberry pi setup suffice but I believe it doesn't have required horsepower to process FHD videos.
Can you suggest a few boxes so that I can look in to it. Apple TV would have been nice but pen drive is not supported.

Check this - https://www.amazon.in/HK1-Mini-Andr...9&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=android+tv+box&psc=1

(or) this - https://www.amazon.in/JT-Android-Am...qid=1535620956&sr=8-3&keywords=android+tv+box

Both of these should be fine to play FHD Rips in x264/x265 and bitstream HD audio codecs to AVR.. Also make sure that your external HD is not more than 1 TB capacity.. Please google for product reviews on youtube to see exactly the # of ports and connectivity.. Product description on amazon.in might be incorrect..

lol. yes. Heard that Bsnl is all set to deploy FTTH in major towns. We will get it if it is cheaper.

Oh k.. that is good news.. Hope for the best..

The private broadband is a complete rip off and I went to an extend to start my own broadband service here and dropped because of geographical reasons :(

Oh sad..

To be honest, I have had a sort of mediocre experience with entry level receivers to the point that I will never buy one again. They come loaded with bells, whistles and that's it. You got to take their power handling claims with a sack of salt. It is so bad. I have used a Pioneer VSK-1122 (In the box now) and some Onkyo AV receiver from 2009 (The latter valued at around 15k new, at the time). I have no complaints with the audio reproduction from these receivers. The trouble I had was not being able to get them to drive even a modestly demanding speaker. They fail miserably. Unfortunately; both these receivers lack a 6 channel pre out so there was no way to improve power. I had to live with it.

Whatever receiver you buy, make sure they have pre outs cause then it makes it easier for an upgrade and the upgrade you want with a budget receiver is most certainly going to be around power, not features.

Trust me, that old Kenwood stack you have will with out perform any and every entry level receiver.

I am using a private broadband - 50mbps unlimited data for 1600/-, They also got a plan - 25mbps unlimited for 750/- per month.
Chennai and bangalore has high speed internet for cheap. 150 mbps at 1000 bucks or something :)

To be honest, I have had a sort of mediocre experience with entry level receivers to the point that I will never buy one again. They come loaded with bells, whistles and that's it. You got to take their power handling claims with a sack of salt. It is so bad. I have used a Pioneer VSK-1122 (In the box now) and some Onkyo AV receiver from 2009 (The latter valued at around 15k new, at the time). I have no complaints with the audio reproduction from these receivers. The trouble I had was not being able to get them to drive even a modestly demanding speaker. They fail miserably. Unfortunately; both these receivers lack a 6 channel pre out so there was no way to improve power. I had to live with it.

Whatever receiver you buy, make sure they have pre outs cause then it makes it easier for an upgrade and the upgrade you want with a budget receiver is most certainly going to be around power, not features.

Trust me, that old Kenwood stack you have will with out perform any and every entry level receiver.

Thanks Sandeep. I think I'm okay with entry level HtiBs. The reason is, the would sound better than consumer grade Hts. At least, Yamaha's yah-1840 HTiB uses an avr with burr brown DAC and can expect some quality from it. The reason I don't want to put more money is that my budget is 30k for now. Even if I put more than 40k, I cannot find a future proof AVR with decent output + 3.0 speakers. It lacks Dolby vision, hlg or Atmos. Atmos is here to stay and already sun direct has started telecasting its info channel in atmos. In my opinion, it is better to buy a cheap HTib for now, save the money and upgrade or build a nice home theater from scratch. The old HT can also be sold or reused. Just my thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion, it is better to buy a cheap HTib for now, save the money and upgrade or build a nice home theater from scratch.

Isn't this what you are doing right now, building from scratch? You don't want to land up with something that you're gonna have to sell in 2 years time and loose over 50% of the money you put in to it. Off course, this decision is still down to you, on how you want to go about it. Make sure you listen to that Yamaha before putting down your money. Any speaker with a plastic case sounds pretty mediocre.

I am not sure how you can do, or, even upgrade to Atmos with a YAH 1840. You need no less than 9 channels to do it right.

Atmos and Dolby Vision are here to stay but to say you want Atmos for an info channel is kinda pointless. If you want to experience Atmos and Dolby Vision the way the designers intended them to be, you need a TV first that supports Dolby Vision. You also need nothing less than Blu Ray to get the most out of Atmos. All this costs money. I see no substitute for quality unless you head down the Blu Ray route and we are not a big Blu Ray market too.

Weigh in your priorities first and that means get the sound right. Bells and whistles can come later.

To be honest, I have spent so much time in front of home theater that all I care about today is a well mastered blu ray disc and nothing else. 5.1 sounds more than enough combined with a great display.

I am not sure how you can do, or, even upgrade to Atmos with a YAH 1840. You need no less than 9 channels to do it right.

Atleast a 7/9 channel AVR is good for Atmos.. But to complete that a budget of approx 1.5 ~ 2 Lacs INR is very much needed.. Not everyone's cup of tea..

What he could do instead, is begin with an inexpensive HTIB like 1840 (30K INR), upgrade components progressively until he finishes replacing all HTIB speakers, i.e 5.1..

He can then look for a 9 channel AVR, and re-use the HTIB satellites as heights.. He can sell his HTIB AVR for a reasonable amount. without making too much loss.. Finally, he can upgrade to good ceiling speakers / speakers on ceiling..

Throughout this time, the minimum he can get to experience is a 5.1 set-up and by the time he finishes upgrading components, he can finish a 7.1.4 Atmos layout..

Isn't this what you are doing right now, building from scratch? You don't want to land up with something that you're gonna have to sell in 2 years time and loose over 50% of the money you put in to it. Off course, this decision is still down to you, on how you want to go about it. Make sure you listen to that Yamaha before putting down your money. Any speaker with a plastic case sounds pretty mediocre.

Atmos and Dolby Vision are here to stay but to say you want Atmos for an info channel is kinda pointless. If you want to experience Atmos and Dolby Vision the way the designers intended them to be, you need a TV first that supports Dolby Vision. You also need nothing less than Blu Ray to get the most out of Atmos. All this costs money. I see no substitute for quality unless you head down the Blu Ray route and we are not a big Blu Ray market too.

Weigh in your priorities first and that means get the sound right. Bells and whistles can come later.

To be honest, I have spent so much time in front of home theater that all I care about today is a well mastered blu ray disc and nothing else. 5.1 sounds more than enough combined with a great display.

Thanks Sandeep. I appreciate your inputs. My requirement is a bit different. I don't quite sure you got my point. I don't say, I want to listen to an info channel that streams atmos. What I'm trying to say is Atmos will not be obsolete anytime soon. Auro 3d is making its way in again. "All this costs money", exactly my point. As much as I spend money for speakers and state of the art AVRs, I need to make the room acoustically good too. Otherwise, the money spent on quality instruments doesn't justify the cost.

As I was saying, I want to build a hometheater from scratch couple of years down the line, I will get more features and latest technologies for a bit less price which is anyway going to compensate the loss I get from buying a cheap HTib in terms of VFM. Also, my room size and acoustics doesn't warrant a good investment on speakers and AVRs for now. 15 X 30 Sized room with 11 feet ceiling height and 22 feet height at some part with glossy floor and paints which are highly reflective. Typical cinema environment should have an RT60 between 0.3s - 0.6s. My room has about 1.5s. Thats a huge difference. When I build a HT room, I can comfortably leave the present HT in the living room and setup a different HT right from scratch, and thats my plan too. For music I already have a pretty decent bedroom studio setup. :)

Atleast a 7/9 channel AVR is good for Atmos.. But to complete that a budget of approx 1.5 ~ 2 Lacs INR is very much needed.. Not everyone's cup of tea..

What he could do instead, is begin with an inexpensive HTIB like 1840 (30K INR), upgrade components progressively until he finishes replacing all HTIB speakers, i.e 5.1..

He can then look for a 9 channel AVR, and re-use the HTIB satellites as heights.. He can sell his HTIB AVR for a reasonable amount. without making too much loss.. Finally, he can upgrade to good ceiling speakers / speakers on ceiling..

Throughout this time, the minimum he can get to experience is a 5.1 set-up and by the time he finishes upgrading components, he can finish a 7.1.4 Atmos layout..

Thanks Elango.

even seems yht 1840 will be best choice for me. however wait till av expo let us see if any new player or other company offers us a better deal. dont be in hurry.

Bro, Yamaha has unveiled a new AVR htr 3072, recently. Should be available in couple of months and will be priced at ~33k, if I'm not wrong. Check it out. :)

Placed an order for YHT-1840 after a lot of thoughts. Thanks all for your help :) What would be the power consumed by the HT and what stabiliser can be coupled with it? Came across su-kam's power guard. Is it good?

Placed an order for YHT-1840 after a lot of thoughts. Thanks all for your help :) What would be the power consumed by the HT and what stabiliser can be coupled with it? Came across su-kam's power guard. Is it good?

Ok great.. Congrats.. Not more than 350 Watts since it is a entry level AVR.. You can use a stabiliser that is used for 1 ton A/C.. That should give you stabilised output for AVR.. I was using Everest EWD 400 for my Denon x 3300 and it worked without a glitch during low voltage (150 ~ 160V input)..

Ok great.. Congrats.. Not more than 350 Watts since it is a entry level AVR.. You can use a stabiliser that is used for 1 ton A/C.. That should give you stabilised output for AVR.. I was using Everest EWD 400 for my Denon x 3300 and it worked without a glitch during low voltage (150 ~ 160V input)..
Thanks. Should I also use a surge protector as well?
Also, I don’t think the supplied cables will be sufficient in that case can I use a 16 guage wire to connect the satellites?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks. Should I also use a surge protector as well?
Also, I don’t think the supplied cables will be sufficient in that case can I use a 16 guage wire to connect the satellites?
Thanks in advance.

16 AWG should be just fine.......

If you feel there are too many power surges happening, then a surge protector is recommended.

Congratulations, which website / distributor and what price?

How do you intend on using a 16 gauge wire with spring clip speaker terminal? 3 out of 5 channels are spring clip.
Sandeep, I don't have much knowledge with home cinema equipments. I thought 16 gauge will fit. Kindly tell me the alternatives. Thanks in advance. :)
Congratulations, which website / distributor and what price?
Hi. Thanks. I bought it from amazon. The seller was JK Audio solutions. It cost about 29k and with manufacturer's warranty, as per the seller. There's no offline store near my place and hence this decision.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back