Entry level turntable with Yamaha v463 receiver

anstri

Hi,

I am planning to buy a turntable and have selected the following
Denon 29f priced at rs 10k
Project essential priced at 20k

I have 2 question:

1. Which turntable will be worth it's money considering I have An entry level av receiver yam v463. I litsen to mainly 70s rock, country and old hindi songs.

2. Following aux ports are utilized DVD, cd. So can I use dtv/cbl port

You can easily look around for some vintage TT's which would be far superior to the denon, look around you can source a pioneer, technics or sony turntable with the help of ads from olx etc. You would also need to invest in a decent phono stage to connect the TT to your receiver, you can either source a decent Project or CA for around 5000 or go the DIY way, FM sachu888 is offering a kit on the same..
Once you have the phono preamp you can connect it to any of the analog audio inputs in your receiver, or a much better solution would be to get a vintage NAD amp the likes of the 3020 which has a much better phono stage and also would act as an integrated amp in the set up.
The choice is yours :)
just my 2 cents

Cheers

Does the Yamaha processor have an input marked 'Phono'? If yes, you can plug the left and right outputs of the turntable to this input and start playing. If it doesn't have a Phono input, then you will need an additional phono preamplifier to which you must plug in the turntable's output. In turn, the phono preamplifier output goes into one of the line level inputs of the Yamaha. Hope this clears a very fundamental fact.

Instead of the Denon or Project entry level models, look for an 80s Japanese direct drive turntable in good working and cosmetic condition. Will work out cheaper and better sounding.

thanks guys for the inputs, the above models i mentioned are easily available in india, also they have a phono preamp built in.

My question was that if i buy a turntable with a built in phono amp then which input should i use in my amp. my cdinput is already utilised and i have a dtv/cbl input available.can i use this input also will the quality be the same as the cd input

can i use this input also will the quality be the same as the cd input

All the inputs are line level inputs (meaning they expect an input with a voltage of around 2.87 V - which is the nominal voltage level of a source like CD player output) so they should all be of same quality.

By the way, I still maintain that you should look for something better than the Denon 29F, despite its in-built phono stage. It is an entry level model, built to a rather tight budget. You will quickly outgrow it. Also, the build quality is hardly confidence inspiring. Look for a Technics SL 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, etc or Pioneer PL series, or JVC or Sony or vintage Denons. Hunt around on olx.in or quickr.com. Another good source is Chor Bazaar.
Caveat: you will most likely need to buy a new cartridge say do include that in your budget.

ok thanks. So i understand denon 29f is screwed up. how about project essential. project is supposed to be high quality turntables

ok thanks. So i understand denon 29f is screwed up. how about project essential. project is supposed to be high quality turntables

I would suggest you to consider Rega RP1, at 26K thats the best you could buy. Rega's entry level it might be but still it can sound better than CD. Thats what you are looking at right ? If you buy denon with built in phono or other really cheap stuff, you will straightaway start hating Vinyl :)

Rega RP1 is available in Hifimart and suitable Rega fono mini aso available, I think this is the minimum requirement if you need to enjoy Vinyl, you may have entry level amp now, but if you buy decent TT now, you could upgrade the AMP later, because source is the main thing, AMP cannot create quality that the source does not read out of record, so if you go for RP1, in future you could upgrade your amp, at each step of upgrade you will be able to appreciate the improvement in Sound quality

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back