Expert advice needed - help in buying HT

Audition few systems today
1. Denon 1612 + paradigm cinema 70 - (lot of sound clarity)
2. Denon 1612 + canton - (small speakers, not much impressive)
3. Denon 1312 + wharfedale ms100 (wharfedale seems to be bright, i wud prefer neutral to warm)
4. JBL cinema 300 (looked good vfm)
5. Marantz + Jamo (out of budget)
plus few more with denon avr

Out of all these, i liked denon1612 + paradigmct70. Price - 56k
2 questions
1. Does this combination looking good as per technical specs and match. For my primary requirement of movies, is this combination good or should i be looking at some other combos.
2. Can i consider paradigm speakers with denon1312 instead of 1612 for budget considerations. Dealer advised that for my room size 17ft by 9ft, 1312 is as good as 1612

Thanks in advance

I'm glad you have been able to demo quite a few systems. Paradigm sounds like a good choice which would also match well with Marantz. Denon 1312 and 1612 both are rated at 110W RMS, so they both have the same power. 1612 has a lot of features along with Audessey auto calibration which is absent on the 1312. When it comes to audio always go for what sound you like irrespective of what others might say. If you prefer a warmer sound then also demo Marantz.

Jamo A 102 HCS 5 Home Cinema Systems also should fit in your budget. Have a look :
Jamo A102HCS5 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Another good one : Boston Acoustics Soundware XS
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS review from the experts at whathifi.com

Audition few systems today
1. Denon 1612 + paradigm cinema 70 - (lot of sound clarity)
2. Denon 1612 + canton - (small speakers, not much impressive)
3. Denon 1312 + wharfedale ms100 (wharfedale seems to be bright, i wud prefer neutral to warm)
4. JBL cinema 300 (looked good vfm)
5. Marantz + Jamo (out of budget)
plus few more with denon avr

Out of all these, i liked denon1612 + paradigmct70. Price - 56k
2 questions
1. Does this combination looking good as per technical specs and match. For my primary requirement of movies, is this combination good or should i be looking at some other combos.
2. Can i consider paradigm speakers with denon1312 instead of 1612 for budget considerations. Dealer advised that for my room size 17ft by 9ft, 1312 is as good as 1612

Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear that the Marantz unit was out of your budget. Could you let us know which Marantz model you heard and what the price was?

I am auditioning Marantz avr today again. The dealer i went didnt have proper demo setup, so couldnt enjoy anything there

Out of all i have auditioned till date, i liked following 3
1. Denon1612 + Paradigm CT70 (56k)
2. Onkyo 509 + Energy micro (55k)
3. JBL cinestyle 30 (60k)

I liked denon n paradigm combo a lot but paradigm CT70 has been discontinued and wont get any manufacturer warranty on this. Spoke to the manufacturer and he said that parts, etc are not easily available for a discontinued model. Since a novice, i dont know how important warranty and spare parts is.

Kindly advise if any views. Will post more after further auditioning

I am auditioning Marantz avr today again. The dealer i went didnt have proper demo setup, so couldnt enjoy anything there

Out of all i have auditioned till date, i liked following 3
1. Denon1612 + Paradigm CT70 (56k)
2. Onkyo 509 + Energy micro (55k)
3. JBL cinestyle 30 (60k)

I liked denon n paradigm combo a lot but paradigm CT70 has been discontinued and wont get any manufacturer warranty on this. Spoke to the manufacturer and he said that parts, etc are not easily available for a discontinued model. Since a novice, i dont know how important warranty and spare parts is.

Kindly advise if any views. Will post more after further auditioning

How about Denon 1612 with any of the speakers you have mentioned? Is the JBL Cinestyle 30 with a HK receiver?

Yes cinestyle 30 is with HK 265 avr (HK 265 avr + HKTS30)
How is this system as per your knowledge for my room size of 17 by 9ft
I liked this system. Suggest can i go for this system?

Some dealer told me that people start getting problems with HK avr after a year or so. How correct is this?

I am auditioning jamo with denon and marantz today

Last edited:
Few more auditions
1. Marantz+boston acoustics. Aakash was right in saying that marantz is mainly for music lovers. Didnt find them good for movies
2. Denon + magent interiors (seemed ok but the demo place was too bad that wasnt able to enjoy the setup)
3. Denon + paradigm cinema 100. (loved paradigm again)- only issue its going way over my budget

I dont know how will i be able to finalize but for all people in mumbai, fairdeal electronics at crawford is the cheapest place for buying HT

1. Marantz+boston acoustics. Aakash was right in saying that marantz is mainly for music lovers. Didnt find them good for movies

Would like to challange you on this statment. A movie is mostly soundtrack (music) and dialog (voice). So what makes the Marantz not good for movies?

The answer most often is that bottom heavy unrealistic bass from a poor avr often seems to initially impresses because of the hyped explosions and loud sound effects. This is the characteristic of denon. I hope you will not fall for this trap.

If you are hearing good instruments and drums and good voice than you will surely hear balanced soundeffects from an avr rather than just hyped unrealistic bass/explosions effects. And this will leave you to better enjoy the majority of what a movie is, soundtrack and dialog.

But you have to make the final decision so enjoy.

Let me clarify...........I am referring to the sound signature. Just because Marantz does a better job with music compared to other AVRs does not make it inferior for movies. As rsud clearly states "If you are hearing good instruments and drums and good voice than you will surely hear balanced soundeffects from an avr rather than just hyped unrealistic bass/explosions effects. And this will leave you to better enjoy the majority of what a movie is, soundtrack and dialog."

Marantz and Denon would still be my pick when it comes to AVRs.

Yes cinestyle 30 is with HK 265 avr (HK 265 avr + HKTS30)
How is this system as per your knowledge for my room size of 17 by 9ft
I liked this system. Suggest can i go for this system?

Some dealer told me that people start getting problems with HK avr after a year or so. How correct is this?

I am auditioning jamo with denon and marantz today

Marantz / Denon would be a better choice than HK. I find HK a bit too bright but then again it all depends on what sound you prefer.

Thanks a lot aakash and rsud
Its only my inexperience thats showing up. Nonetheless marantz avr + good speakers is also going over my budget of 60k

Will try to finalize paradigm/energy/tanoy speakers along with denon/onkyo avr this weeked

Thanks again for all the help

Last edited:
Thanks a lot aakash and rsud
Its only my inexperience thats showing up. Nonetheless marantz avr + good speakers is also going over my budget of 60k

Will try to finalize paradigm/energy speakers along with denon/onkyo avr this weeked

Thanks again for all the help

There are different models of AVRs to suit all budgets...........from entry level to hi end. Make a note of the model nos for all the brands.

Finally decided to buy denon1612 + paradigm cinema 100 5.1 package

Its costing me 68k after getting 20% discount on MRP.

Hoping i wont regret increasing my budget for HT from 30k to 68k

Any views on pricing or decision?

Thanks
Ashish

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back