Sugestions for HT in a Small Room

master007

Hi All,

I've moved to a new apartment (on rent) where now I've an empty bedroom (just 2 almirahs, which I can move; and a double bed mattress). Now I'm thinking to start with my long awaited wish to have a HT setup.

My hopes are big but this is a rented place & room is small (11 by 13 ft, 10-or-11ft height) and hence my budget. Do not want to over spend much. Also not thinking of any acoustic treatment in this place.

Usage is mostly movies (but do not want it to sound too bad for music). So say 75%movies and 25%music.

I do not plan to get a BDP, stuff will be feeded via HTPC / RaspPi. And maybe soemtimes DTH HD.

------
Audio
------
I wanted to start with a minimal budget but after reading a lot here and there it is increasing by bits & bits. I initially thought of getting a 30-40k receiver with 5.0 Pioneer AJ setup and subwoofer later. I haven't demoed anything yet and have yet to begin. Seems Pioneer Andrew Jones are hard to find these days, I want suggestions in similar price range.

I was thinking of getting Denon x1200w for AVR. Also is it advisable to get it from Amazon.de? it will be around 37-38k including shipping/customs. 8-10k savings worth it for warranty?

Speakers - advice please :). Budget maybe around 40-60k for 5.0 package and subwoofer 20-30k (not sure if I'll buy sub right away or later in few months).

Also Bookshelves or Floorstanders for fronts advisable?

------
Video
------
Is getting a projector advisable for this small room 11by13ft. I was thinking of getting Optoma HD141x/HD142x from Amazon.com. I want to have it but not sure if it'll be okay for this room? Screen on 11ft wall.

----
UPS
----
UPS for Projector and AVR is must. Is it also needed for Speakers?

Thinking of getting APC 1500VA or 1100VA. If I can just get away with adding surge/spike protection for speakers and no backup, I'll prefer to get 1100VA one.

I need minimal backup for around 5-10secs until DG in the society boots up.

Thanks in advance. And of course, more queries will be there.

Hi

With a area of 11 x 13, you would be better off with Satellite + Sub combination for speakers.....Bookshelf speakers would be max....floorstanders would be overkill for the small place.....

Look at Morel Primo 5.1 speaker system, similarly there is Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1

You don't require a projector for a small place like this...also since the place is rented, you are better off getting a nice 40+ inch TV which you can wall mount and use for a variety of things...

in terms of AVR, Denon x1200 is good but you can also look at the sleek slim Marantz NR1506 which has good fat clear sound and performance....

UPS is a must for all electronic products....TV, AVR, Subwoofer....the 5.0 speakers don't need one.....

There are many dealers....go out and hear the Marantz + Morel Primo combo with your kind of music..audition other speakers and systems as well and then decide.....

All the best....

If budget is a challenge, see the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads...there is good stuff being sold there.....

Since it is an empty room, you may have to think of minimal acoustic treatment, atleast some heavy curtains.

Thanks for the replies...

I'll check Marantz AVR as well. But please do tell - what do you guys suggest about importing from Amazon.de

After much reading. For speakers, I'm thinking of auditioning:
1) Dali Zensor 1 / Vokal based 5.0 setup
2) Q Acoustics 2020i Fronts, 2010i Rears, 2000Ci based 5.0 setup
I see Q Acoustics 3010 for about same price as 2020i as well. How do they compare to each other? With that I would also need to go with 3090C as center? I'm unable to find much info about 3010. 3020 is there but expensive.
3) Probably, Elac B5 based 5.0 setup as well... Will it go well with x1200w/NR1506?

Suggestions are welcome.

And I'll probably get a projector as well. Discussed with few others and I'm much inclined to get that :)

About basic acoustics - I'll try to get heavy black curtains for windows. Probably a carpet in front of the LCR.
And maybe a big piece of foam in the room (like this http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/56064-my-first-ht-room-3.html#post637077) ??

Speakers

Bookshelves or satellites. I would prefer satellites. I have used Quad Lite with old Yamaha 650 AVR. Very good sound. This in a 17x13 living room. Morel is also excellent. I have Quad Lite front and centre with Morel rears. Both these have 4" drivers.

Video

Yes, definitely yes to projector. But you need to know the projector throw distance before you finalise. This is very critical. Check on projectorcentral.com. Amazing site.

UPS

For projector, definitely. Not so important for the AVR but always good to be safe especially in Delhi. Speakers except subwoofer are not powered so no need.

Back