false ceiling doubt??

Kevian

Hello Friends,

Posting after a long time. I am sure I missed a lots of fun here. Well, I need you people's advice on proceeding with the wood work which will start this weekend. I am confused if I should extend the wooden cupboard all the way up to actual ceiling or leave some gap for false ceiling which I might do sometime in future. I've put up a side view of my living room and I need certain suggestions.

Side view of my living room
drawing.jpg

Sorry for posting this thread on an AV forum...anyways...I'VE COME BYAKK TO LIFE
YouTube - I HAVE COME BACK TO LIFE!

Thanks,
Venkat

Is it possible for some quick replies please?......carpenter has started work with cutting frames first..it'd be nice if I have some inputs

You can make the cupboard upto the ceiling, leaving the doors or any kind of opening at the planned false ceiling level. Cover / frame the front top portion of the cupboard at the same height as the false ceiling so that you can access it through an opening below the false ceiling level. In future you can make the false ceiling either w/o any gap or leaving a gap with some lighting to the cupboard.

Last edited:
This is actually a interior decorator's option as to what is to be done. When a false ceiling is made, it usually covers the complete ceiling. All other construction terminates at the false ceiling. If you don't plan to have a false ceiling, cupboards can be taken up to the ceiling. That way they look nice and also provide more space for keeping things.

In terms of acoustics, the less gap and corners you have, the better it is.

Since your plan for false ceiling is to be done later, I would extend the cupboard to the ceiling with a thin plywood that can be discarded when you make the false ceiling. When you make the false ceiling, you can the decide what you want to do - extend the cupboard upto the ceiling and cover it with false ceiling, or remove the temporary plywood, and cover that area above the cupboard with false ceiling. Just make sure you leave no gaps. Any gap could create standing waves.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thank you for acknowledging my PM. So I'll leave 8 to 9 inches gap between the ceiling and fill up the gap with a plank above the cupboard. So that I can simply remove the plank when I go for false ceiling. This is what I am thinking to do.

Regards,
Venkat

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back