For Networking Experts

venkatcr

I have had a severe problem with the wireless on my laptop for nearly an year. Last week I, by chance, came across a solution. What I want now to understand is why this happening and the reason for it. Let me explain the sequence of events.

1. I have a BSNL 900UL connection at home.

2. For a long time (about 4 years) I had a Belkin wireless router that was working well. About two years ago that got burnt and I to replace it. I checked with Belkin as they have a life time warranty, but at that time they did not have a support base in India. So I went out and purchased WGR614 from Netgear.

3. Contrary to hope that the setup would be easy, the router took me a month to setup with 2 or 3 experts trying their hand. One day it suddenly started working.

4. For about a year my laptop - Dell Inspiron 8600 - was happily chugging away with the Netgear router. Basically I had chosen 802.11b and 802.11g as the setting. In other words it will use either of the protocols.

5. About an year ago, my laptop connection to the Net started slowing down and the browser would hang for hours without refreshing the page. What would happen is that my laptop's connection would start at 54Mbps, drop to 36, then to 24. But essentially no browser page would work.

Thinking BSNL was at fault, I registered a complaint. They checked, rechecked and showed to me that, at the connection point within my house, the speed was 512kbps consistently. When I connected my laptop through a cable, it would surf quite well.

6. When I switched over to wireless, the laptop would slow down again. In particular, when I logged into Gmail, it will just hang after I had entered my password.

7. I took the laptop to a service centre. they removed the wireless card inside, cleaned the connection points, tested it for a full day, and said everything was working well. In fact, I sat at the centre for an hour, and the laptop did work well.

8. I came home, and the browser hanging started me in my face again. Thinking the fault was with the wireless router, I tried a few other laptops that, to my chagrin, chugged along at good speeds, including logging in and checking gmail.

9. I took the laptop to Dell service centre, who first refused to look at the machine, and then said the issue was with the OS.

10. I then reinstalled the XP Professional on a new hard disk. I reinstalled all the drivers, and I faced the same issue again.

11. About a week ago, the screen of my laptop conked out. As part of replacing it, I asked the service centre to change the wireless card. By a strange incident, he installed the same model of wireless again which is Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG.

12. When the laptop came back. the wireless connection failed me again.

13. Not understanding what was happening, I started fooling around with the Advanced Settings of the Wireless on my laptop when I suddenly hit pay dirt. When I changed the wireless mode to 802.11b ONLY, the laptop stayed connected to the Net consistently at 11 Mbps. Gmail worked well as did all other sites.

Though I am happy with the 11Mbps connection, I am curious to understand what changed in the laptop. From a wireless connection that was working consistently on 802.11b and 802.11g at 54Mbps, to one that worked on 802.11b only - what brought about this change?

Other laptops including my wife's continues work on b&g at 54Mbps.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have had a severe problem with the wireless on my laptop for nearly an year. Last week I, by chance, came across a solution. What I want now to understand is why this happening and the reason for it. Let me explain the sequence of events.

1. I have a BSNL 900UL connection at home.

2. For a long time (about 4 years) I had a Belkin wireless router that was working well. About two years ago that got burnt and I to replace it. I checked with Belkin as they have a life time warranty, but at that time they did not have a support base in India. So I went out and purchased WGR614 from Netgear.

3. Contrary to hope that the setup would be easy, the router took me a month to setup with 2 or 3 experts trying their hand. One day it suddenly started working.

4. For about a year my laptop - Dell Inspiron 8600 - was happily chugging away with the Netgear router. Basically I had chosen 802.11b and 802.11g as the setting. In other words it will use either of the protocols.

5. About an year ago, my laptop connection to the Net started slowing down and the browser would hang for hours without refreshing the page. What would happen is that my laptop's connection would start at 54Mbps, drop to 36, then to 24. But essentially not browser page would work.

Thinking BSNL was at fault, I registered a complaint. They checked, rechecked and showed to me that, at the connection point within my house, the speed was 512kbps consistently. When I connected my laptop through a cable, it would surf quite well.

6. When I switched over to wireless, the laptop would slow down again. In particular, when I logged into Gmail, it will just hang after I had entered my password.

7. I took the laptop to a service centre. they removed the wireless card inside, cleaned the connection points, tested it for a full day, and said everything was working well. In fact, I sat at the centre for an hour, and the laptop did work well.

8. I came home, and the browser hanging started me in my face again. Thinking the fault was with the wireless router, I tried a few other laptops that, to my chagrin, chugged along at good speeds, including logging in and checking gmail.

9. I took the laptop to Dell service centre, who first refused to look at the machine, and then said the issue was with the OS.

10. I the reinstalled the XP Professional on a new hard disk. I reinstalled all the drivers, and I faced the same issue again.

11. About a week ago, the screen of my laptop conked out. As part of replacing it, asked the service centre to change the wireless card. By a strange incident, he installed the same model of wireless again which is Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG.

12. When the laptop came back. the wireless connection failed me again.

13. Not understanding what was happening, I started fooling around with the Advanced Settings of the Wireless on my laptop when I suddenly hit pay dirt. When I changed the wireless mode to 802.11b ONLY, the laptop stayed connected to the Net consistently at 11 Mbps. Gmail worked well as did all other sites.

Though I am happy with the 11Mbps connection, I am curious to understand what changed in the laptop. From a wireless connection that was working consistently on 802.11b and 802.11g at 54Mbps, to one that worked on 802.11b only - what brought about this change?

Other laptops including my wife's continues work on b&g at 54Mbps.

Cheers

Well,
one simple thing you should do ,update the firmware of the router and then try it again

The router's firmware is the latest available from Netgear. Another thing - my laptop behaved in a similar manner of reducing the connection speed in a number of wireless networks, not just my house.

Cheers

Strange.I had a Linksys B which i upgraded a year ago to a Netgear G and it works reasonably well. The amount of time that one spends trying to trouble shoot and fix these is quite amazing!

The router's firmware is the latest available from Netgear. Another thing - my laptop behaved in a similar manner of reducing the connection speed in a number of wireless networks, not just my house.

Cheers

Well,
in low speed the product given highest db power .Also the screen acts as a antenna and has two wires comming out from the same to the card ,Make sure those are in the entenna slot of the card also .You can also change the PCI express lan card the wifi card

Amarbir[Lynx-India];176316 said:
You can also change the PCI express lan card the wifi card

I don't understand this. I though the Intel Wireless/Pro 2200BG was a WiFi card?

Cheers

Happens with the crappy intel Wifi card always. Had the same problem with my lappy, ultimately changed to a external usb type dongle(Wi fi) from tp link (Welcome to TP-LINK), problem was sorted out for good forever.

do you have any b devices, if not, you should set the router to g only and then try. either it will connect at g speeds or it wont connect et al.
see if there are any drivers from intel available for this device, you might be using the generic windows driver for the wireless in your laptop.
see if there is any setting in your bios for the wireless.

There are very small hubs available. I have one which is basically like a small usb wire splitting into multiple usb wires. But i guess if you are carrying your laptop around in the office, lots of things dangling from the laptop is not a good sight, inconvenient too.

One does not carry USB hubs with a laptop.
Where did you read that "rule"?
And wherever you read that, and hence follow that by heart, did they tell a reason why you cannot carry such a tiny pocket sized device like a USB Hub with your Laptop?

do you have any b devices, if not, you should set the router to g only and then try. either it will connect at g speeds or it wont connect et al. see if there are any drivers from intel available for this device, you might be using the generic windows driver for the wireless in your laptop.
see if there is any setting in your bios for the wireless.

My laptop's BIOS does not have any option in Wireless other than Enabled/Disabled, and <Function>+<F2> for enabling/disabling the wireless radio.

I have the latest drivers installed from Intel. Actually I wanted to go back on the drivers thinking that could have been the issue. Even that did not work.

And yes, I have already tried setting the Wireless router to 802.11g only. My laptop shows the same (mis)behaviour. The only way it works is when the router is on b&g, and the laptop is on b only.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back