Front channel suggestion

subsatya

Hello everyone!
I have an Onkyo Sr444 running Paradigm CT 100 right now. The Onkyo is 7.1 capable. Or can be used as 5.1.2 Atmos. It is 100 w/channel.
It is quite satisfactory for the moment. Thinking of adding even more punch. The sub is 8inch right now.
I plan to shift the existing 5.1 to back after adding two front channels. Making it 7.1. Atmos is not a priority. Room size is 12x10.

I had listened to a Jamo setup at Cinebels shop. It had significantly more punch because of two front towers. My belief is adding towers at front will increase the punch and overall effect for movies.

Please could you suggest a good pair of towers or bookshelf speakers to add to the setup? Movies are priority. My budget is Rs.50k.

Thanks a lot!

Movies are priority. My budget is Rs.50k.

Adding one more sub could help you with bass.. 8 inch sub may not dig deeper.. See if you can upgrade to dual 10/ 12inch sub, for more impactful bass..

My belief is adding towers at front will increase the punch and overall effect for movies.

Even if you were to add towers, you will use a crossover of 80Hz for all speakers.. So you are not fully utilizing the floor standers..

Making it 7.1. Atmos is not a priority. Room size is 12x10.

Adding one more pair of the same satellite speaker as heights to your existing 5 satellite speakers, will give you 7 identical speakers all around your room..

In my limited experience, the two speakers that make the most difference in a HT setup are the Center channel and the sub. You don't have a big room. As suggested, adding a sub would improve the sound more than adding a floorstander 80 hz crossover an all.

Ok. Thanks a lot!
Which subwoofer would be good? I checked, most of them(10 and 12) are out of the 50k range.

And also would need to sell my Paradigm sub

Hello everyone!
I have an Onkyo Sr444 running Paradigm CT 100 right now. The Onkyo is 7.1 capable. Or can be used as 5.1.2 Atmos. It is 100 w/channel.
It is quite satisfactory for the moment. Thinking of adding even more punch. The sub is 8inch right now.
I plan to shift the existing 5.1 to back after adding two front channels. Making it 7.1. Atmos is not a priority. Room size is 12x10.

I had listened to a Jamo setup at Cinebels shop. It had significantly more punch because of two front towers. My belief is adding towers at front will increase the punch and overall effect for movies.

Please could you suggest a good pair of towers or bookshelf speakers to add to the setup? Movies are priority. My budget is Rs.50k.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If it's for movies, then don't go hunting for bass in the front speakers. Get a bigger Active sub from SVS, BIC or Rythmic. You just need front speakers which can do 60Hz so then when you cross them at 80, they are in their sweet spot.

Ok. Thanks a lot!
Which subwoofer would be good? I checked, most of them(10 and 12) are out of the 50k range.

Look at the BIC subs. They should fall in your budget. Or you could check some of the used ones in the For Sale section. I remember seeing an SVS on sale for 50-52k. Not sure if its sold or not.

MaSh

Ok. Thanks a lot!

You can considering selling the smaller sub and add that money to your budget.. I suppose you would have around 60K as budget..

Try not to chase a specific brand, for it might cost more.. Look for the ones that you can accommodate within your budget..

Some of the options have been already suggested by other members.. One more to add to your list is Taga TSW 200, 12inch for abt 25 / 28K, if it is still aval.. A dual 12inch should do it for your room..

I visited SVS website. Svs has become synonymous with subwoofers recently. They have a tool to select your existing speaker system and then they recommend a sub. Put in Paradigm Cinema 100 and up came the SVS sb 1000. That's a great tool! So right now that is on my list! Now only need to find a new owner for Paradigm sub.
Thank you all for the valuable inputs!!

if u add towers,.... "probably" your existing center channel may need an upgrade too ... :D :D
Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot!
If you upgrade fronts, your existing center channel "may" sound weak.
Ideally all the front 3 speakers should be the same.

Long back when i wanted an upgrade from satellites, i upgraded only the center channel, and adjusted the levels of Center and satellites in AVR. My setup sounded nice !! Then i added second sub. The overall experience was even great. (This approach may or may not satisfy you ... take it with a pinch of salt ;))

Getting floorstanders or even a bigger subwoofer will only give you a slight incremental benefit, whereas overhead speakers will give you another dimension altogether.
In my opinion, the best value for money would be in getting 4 Atmos speakers installed on the ceiling

if u add towers,.... "probably" your existing center channel may need an upgrade too ... :D :D

If you upgrade fronts, your existing center channel "may" sound weak.
Ideally all the front 3 speakers should be the same.

Long back when i wanted an upgrade from satellites, i upgraded only the center channel, and adjusted the levels of Center and satellites in AVR. My setup sounded nice !! Then i added second sub. The overall experience was even great. (This approach may or may not satisfy you ... take it with a pinch of salt ;))
My Paradigm satellites actually have two drivers. They are on the border of bookshelves. So they are quite good.
My avr does not have a second subwoofer option. So a bigger subwoofer seems good option.

My Paradigm satellites actually have two drivers. They are on the border of bookshelves. So they are quite good.
My avr does not have a second subwoofer option. So a bigger subwoofer seems good option.
Probably yes .... I was just sharing my personal experience. Center channel upgrade with better vocals gave me a clear satisfaction. !!;)

Ideally all speakers should be same. Atleast LCR should be identical.

Ok. Thanks a lot!

Hello , you can also check out the Yamaha SW300 (25 to 30K) , which is a 10" sub.
Try to keep your LCR from the same series.

3RY.jpg

You can use a single RCA to Dual RCA adaptor (Approx Rs 150) on your AVR subwoofer pre-out and add the second sub..

3RY.jpg

You can use a single RCA to Dual RCA adaptor (Approx Rs 150) on your AVR subwoofer pre-out and add the second sub..

Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Please could anyone suggest a second subwoofer for my setup? I have the Paradigm Cinema Sub 8 right now. Which sub will you recommend? I am thinking a sealed enclosure because I needed that tightness. 10 inch or 12 inch?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Please could anyone suggest a second subwoofer for my setup? I have the Paradigm Cinema Sub 8 right now. Which sub will you recommend? I am thinking a sealed enclosure because I needed that tightness. 10 inch or 12 inch?

Thanks for the help!

If you are planning to keep your Paradigm sub 8, then a second one of the same should do fine. The 2 subs ideally need to be similar since the phase of the subs should be the same.
If you are planning to go for 1 sub then ideally for movies instead of the SB 1000 you had in mind, the PB 1000 will have a much more noticeable impact since it is ported & will be more suited for Lfe content in movies. Both have the same 300 watts rms & 10 " driver but the PB will play louder & goes down to 19 hz & SB will go down to 24 hz & will not be as loud as it goes low.
For 12 inches driver, you can try the Bic PL 200 II subs

If you don't mind preowned subs, then you may get good ones out here in the sale section.

Last edited:
I had suggested ported since movies are your priority else for music most of the people prefer sealed subs. But you do get subs where you can plug the ports to listen to music in sealed mode & enjoy the best of both.

So what would happen if I use two different subwoofers?

If you use 2 different brands or one ported & one sealed ( not generally recommended) then you will need to match the phase or movement of the drivers of the 2 subwoofers to match perfectly. The same model dual subs are generally recommended for smooth even bass since their amp & driver would be the same. If you have 2 subs of different amplifier strengths & driver size in a scenario where the volume is increased to high levels, the sub with the higher power & bigger driver will output properly but the smaller sub with less output would have to strain more resulting in distorted or uneven bass.
There are people who do have different subs but I guess they must be knowing how to calibrate both.

Subwoofer cabinet dimensions also plays a major role in displacement of air affecting bass. Basically the amplification, driver size & cabinet size are all cohesive affecting the output and bass in a subwoofer. You must have noticed small speakers generally give out less bass & viceversa.
All the best in your search.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions.
For the moment I have placed the sub near my sofa. Used an extension wire. This has significantly changed the output. The LFE is much more punchier than before!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back