Full HD TV, within 40K? Suggestions please...

ithehappy

Want to upgrade from my 26" Bravia. Full HD of course needed. But I can't decide the size as I have a very short budget of Rs.40000. So far from what I have seen, I have shortlisted the Sony W650A 32", and Samsung F5000 40" which I have seen selling on eBay even at 39K :O LED backlit would be good to have. And I do NOT need any smart features, not a single one of them. Only one thing, excellent picture quality, absolutely no compromise there. If that forces me to buy a 32" instead of bigger size I am game. Viewing distance would be around 6 ft. Will be mainly used with AirTel HD and SD channels do matter, I have heard that Sony X-Reality does a good job to upscale the SD picture, however I am unsure about the truthfulness of it, besides occasional 1080P MKV/MP4 rips will be watched via HDMI.
Oh and please no LG, Videocon or those brands, I would like to stick with Sony, Samsung or those...

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am located in Kolkata, if anyone is from here kindly tell me what store is there for the best price quote, I only know about Great Eastern.

Last edited:
I don't think FULL HD will matter in tvs less than 32". And especially when you have stated that your source will be HD stb and sd channels, what is the use of having FULL HD? I don't think unless you use bluray as source or high quality rips (1080p and more than 3-5 GBs), it will be difficult to differentiate between the quality.

I bought a sony tv during Jan 13, and while browsing though various shops (Great Eastern, Anandamela, Sony World, Ezone etc.) I found prices of the tvs to be exactly same in all the shops. I was told that Sony and Samsung has asked the showroom to keep the price same all over their showroom and if they sell it below the price indicated by the company, their dealership might get cancelled.

Last edited:
I don't think FULL HD will matter in tvs less than 32". And especially when you have stated that your source will be HD stb and sd channels, what is the use of having FULL HD? I don't think unless you use bluray as source or high quality rips (1080p and more than 3-5 GBs), it will be difficult to differentiate between the quality.

I bought a sony tv during Jan 13, and while browsing though various shops (Great Eastern, Anandamela, Sony World, Ezone etc.) I found prices of the tvs to be exactly same in all the shops. I was told that Sony and Samsung has asked the showroom to keep the price same all over their showroom and if they sell it below the price indicated by the company, their dealership might get cancelled.

I know that Sony has MOP(Minimum Operating Price) for its dealers for almost all products but i donot know whether Samsung has such advice for dealers.

Samsung has Dealer Price(DP) and some of the dealers are not willing to reduce the DP. If they reduce it is a problem for them and it will be DP in the final bill.

Dear S_Ghosh,

For ebay purchase, just be careful with the warranty as most of the Tvs are sold under dealer warranty.

Siva
Hmm, okay, so you mean I'll have to ask the seller if there's any warranty from manufacturers side?

If viewed from proper distance then full HD will matter even at 24", I have a monitor so I see what the difference is, and also I mentioned that I'll be watching Blu-ray occasionally on the T.V.
So should I go for the W650A 32" or see some 39" Panasonics too? Could it match Bravia's picture quality, and that X-Reality engine? People who have seen both could say better. 39" will be the maximum size I will consider.
Thanks.

Last edited:
agree. just be careful with the warranty as most of the Tvs are sold under dealer warranty.
27.gif

Thanks Neeraj. Won't buy Plasma, as this TV will not be used only by me it will be on almost all time, so I don't think buying Plasma is an option.
I like 36" or 39", but Sony doesn't even have those size options, after 32", straight to 42". But for my viewing distance there will be no point in buying a bigger screen non HD unit over a smaller Full HD unit. PPI will be another thing to consider here. What I am seeing from reviews I don't see any television coming in my mind other than Sony for picture quality only! Lets see if I can manage a 42" W650A or not. I can buy it but I just have no wish to invest that much behind it!
If anyone knows any model which will compete with Sony Bravia W650A lineups for picture quality please do mention.
Thanks.

Last edited:
since your viewing distance is 6 feet i would suggest to go for a 32 inch tv....and sony w650 is a very good option...it has got fantastic reviews and is good in both SD and HD...another option would be the samsung f5500 led which has got excellent reviews.....and is good in both SD and HD....take a demo of both these tvs and choose a tv which looks good to your eyes....all the best....

I have a 36" but believe me you after buying a 36" you will regret and wish you would have bought a 42". In that budget, its possible to get a frill free 42" from Toshiba or Samsung (may be you have to +4/5k), but your experience will be much more rewarding. Get the biggest screen size you can buy with your budget.

@Rupam: Thanks but that last line isn't really of my type, get the biggest screen size with your budget, I rather will look for picture quality.

@zouresh: Thanks for your input mate. But I have fixed my mind that I am going for a 42", and I am eyeing the 42" W650A, it's costly, but considering that I won't be changing it in a pretty long time it's okay I guess.

Last edited:
Glad to see this blog. I am considering buying KDL-32W670A but it is appears to be at a high-end (price) compare to similar models in LG and Samsung. I have Sony CRT 21 inch TV that Im using last 7 years, till date not a single incident. I am a big fan of Sony picture quality if anyone has experienced a better LED TV compare to 32W670A in terms of picture quality then please share your inputs.

Thanks,
Rajat

I'll go and check both 42" W650A and Panny E6 on 26th, I'll let you know which one I find better, but the term better is relative obviously.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back