Full Range Standmount using Boston HQ48414P driver

These are the same drivers being discussed in the thread. Very interesting that two of these in a single box sounded so good. Your box is almost the same dimensions as mine.

It did sound good. The white packet boston speakers didn't sound too loud and also without 'on your face' kinda mid fq/vocal.

I compared the white packet ones with the brown packet speakers and overall basket, cone quality and sound signature of white ones were better.

Overall FQs were pretty nice for a Hi-Q. Maybe my old Akai amp matched well with these speakers.
These are the same drivers being discussed in the thread. Very interesting that two of these in a single box sounded so good

Cool..good to know that :). Mine is dual ported (I kind of like dual ported more than single)
Your box is almost the same dimensions as mine.

Okay, thank you.

You see, I am thinking of something a little extreme like 2 or 3 drivers per channel. The drivers are not very expensive and so I thought of experimenting.

I bought four of these yesterday. 4 ohm drivers HQ48413P is the model number.

I played music in free air and they seem pretty nice.

Maybe the older ones used to have the logo. Mine came in the brown boxes, not white.

Sarith, can you please post a pic of your speakers?

Folks...

I haven't been able to make any progress beyond my last update. I am beginning to believe that I will probably not find the time to ever finish these. But the cabinets are very well built, and I would hate to store them in junk. So if anyone needs two 44 litre boxes made from 18mm MDF by professional carpenter, please let me know. If you want to continue with the same project, you will find the baffles also useful. If you want to use them for something else - subwoofers, 2-way, 3-way standmounts, you will have to make new front baffles. The stands also go along with it.

I am not looking to make any profits here. Just pick them up and share some of the cost that you feel is reasonable. Here are my actual costs:

18mm MDF (Greenply) - 1350
Terminal Plates, Gaskets, Ports - 1150
Carpenter - 1500
Drivers - 1000 (no whizzer cones anymore, and one was pierced and fixed with fevicol)
TOTAL - 5000

You don't have to take the drivers and front baffles and can reduce the cost share accordingly OR you can still take them for free to play around with it!

Message me if anyone is interested to pick them up. The link to my project pictures is here again: https://goo.gl/photos/vg42UXjkUgDdnUDB7

Thanks to all for the inputs and help and I hope this build thread will continue with some amazing project details that reach a more final conclusion than mine.

Aashish nothing wrong with your project or boston driver
Kindy pair with right amp and they will sing beautifully
I undertook similar project and was initially disappointed
Then i purchased a used Philips hi q receiver and paired with boston
drivers there was huge improvement in sound. I am pleased with my
project.

Attachments

• 20150731_165252 (2).jpg
    20150731_165252 (2).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 176
Aashish nothing wrong with your project or boston driver
Kindy pair with right amp and they will sing beautifully
I undertook similar project and was initially disappointed
Then i purchased a used Philips hi q receiver and paired with boston
drivers there was huge improvement in sound. I am pleased with my
project.

I am not at all disappointed with the project. It was a lot of fun and I would have loved to continue, but that would mean measuring the speakers, putting a BSC in place, finding a vintage or building a low power amp etc. I realize that the direction in which this is going - it will keep lying for want of my time in this. It was supposed to be more of a quick no-brainer project. But this has given me thoughts on new projects to try later. So, not at all disappointed.

The port of speaker cabinet seems big enough for a 8" subwoofer. A smaller port would've been better for Boston speakers it seems.

The Philips design book suggested an even bigger port! 106mm. This is 68mm. (Maybe that's one of the problems, who knows, especially when you work with unmeasured drivers!). Anyway, this would make a decent 8" subwoofer box. I would have considered converting these to two subs but I am not a big fan of subwoofers and got no where to put them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back