Full Range Standmount using Boston HQ48414P driver

Anybody know if Class A amplifiers will be a better match for the full-rangers rather than a Class AB amplifier?

I am thinking a Hiraga amp or something else in Class A.

of course! Class A and fullrangers are a match made in heaven.I strongly suggest a JLH or an Ampcamp AMP. Both will do wonders. Ampcamp is relatively easier to make.

Thanks Vijay.

I plan to have two 4 ohm drivers in series for each channel. Will the 5 or 10 W of power be enough? I am thinking about waveform clipping.

The drivers are 93dB.

Hi Vivek,
For those Bostons, 2 to 3 watts are adequate for a average room. 10 watts will make your neighbours tap your door.

I have tried Ampcamp with single 4w, it is driven nicely. 8 ohms will reduce the output, but you can try both.My suggestion is to keep a single FR. They have quiet a magical sound.

Okay, point taken about the power.

Like you and many others have said, these Boston Acoustics drivers are pretty good. I tried them in old sonodyne speaker boxes and they sounded very good. I listened to Hariprasad Chaurasia, shiv Kumar Sharma, Amjad Ali Khan, muddy waters and BB king. They sounded great. I was using a HT receiver. I am sure a class A amp will be better.

The only question now is which one to try. I will have to decide.

Okay, point taken about the power.

Like you and many others have said, these Boston Acoustics drivers are pretty good. I tried them in old sonodyne speaker boxes and they sounded very good. I listened to Hariprasad Chaurasia, shiv Kumar Sharma, Amjad Ali Khan, muddy waters and BB king. They sounded great. I was using a HT receiver. I am sure a class A amp will be better.

The only question now is which one to try. I will have to decide.

Try the ampcamp and I have one which you can try it out.

Ok.. I think I will only have to finish the project that I started, since nobody else is willing to take it off my hands on as is basis. So, to proceed further properly, I need help with two things:

1) Sourcing another pair of Boston HQ-48414 (8 ohm round version) as my previous pair got damaged in the process (no whizzer cones & punctured cone fixed with fevicol).
2) Design a hit-and-trial baffle step correction circuit for these since nobody seems to have the T/S parameters (either printed or measured) for these.

Anyone?

Ok.. I think I will only have to finish the project that I started, since nobody else is willing to take it off my hands on as is basis. So, to proceed further properly, I need help with two things:

1) Sourcing another pair of Boston HQ-48414 (8 ohm round version) as my previous pair got damaged in the process (no whizzer cones & punctured cone fixed with fevicol).
2) Design a hit-and-trial baffle step correction circuit for these since nobody seems to have the T/S parameters (either printed or measured) for these.

Anyone?

Hi dear,

I bought HQ48002P for my project that didn't came on table till date. You can take those if usable for your project.

Amit.

Exact same story as yours.Same time period too.Very similar box.Experiences too.

It's tucked away in the store somewhere.Reading the thread makes me want to play with it again.

Guys my Boston HQ48413P 4ohm's just arrived today...need support on ported box specs if anyone on this forum has already DIY'd....I am also looking at joining them in series for an 8ohm version....maybe use a 3 way crossover...just thoughts hitting my head....ran open with ACA...very good sound facility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok... this is blasting my mind. I understand that speakers should have lower Qts, preferably in the range of 0.5, the ones I have HQ48413P 4ohm's have Qts=1.763...technically I need to look at planning box with a Qtc of around 1.8 to be even come into calculations of box size. that too = 407.41 ltr (booooo........)

Vas = 17.28 lts
fs = 123.8 Hz
Qts = 1.763
Qtc = 1.8
Vb = 14.39 ft3 = 407.41 lts
f3 = 86.1 Hz
fb = 126.4 Hz

Can anyone suggest some direction here.. I don't wish to have anything more than 3 feet high and 1 feet wide..

Have you measured the speakers? I don't remember these drivers having any printed TS parameters.

Anyhow, these drivers are replica of Philips hi-q drivers which used to be 40-50 ltr boxes. And they don't go very low. Moreover they require sone tweaking so sound right using filters. Please go through the entire thread. There is a lot of advice from people here about how to use these.

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

Thank you, I sure will...
On you other point, no I have not taken any readings, diyaudiocart has listed them in their site..they also claim there may be deviations though...I just used those in calculations...believe Qts is much more than 0.707..

I'd say don't try too hard to get bass out of the hiq. Suggest you go FAST. Add an lf driver and let it take care of the low s. Yes it will be a two way, but far better than crossing it over in the vocal range

Went through this thread from the scratch...guess its going to be hit and trial rather than "Great" calculations...remind my school days...and I used to be happy with anything I made...so 3 plans as go forward...

1) 2ft X 1ft X 1ft box straightaway sealed enclosure with 1 driver (4ohm)
2) 3ft X 1ft X 1ft box sealed enclosure with 2 drivers (4 + 4 ohm series)
3) TQWT for Philips 9710 based design (I have heard similar speakers and they are awesome for a small room)

In case I don't make it to glory...they go down on Holi (Holika actually :yahoo:)

Back to the driver, as Shri Cranky mentioned its best in a sealed box. Philips HiQ boxes were about 18 liters. From what I recall dimensions were 12x9x15 or thereabout.

Trying to prioritise this one...I have a strange feeling, this dimension should sound good

Ok first pass...12X15X9....midrange & highs are tooooo bright...as Greenhorn mentioned...din't expect bass...didn't find any....the mod of stuffing a slight layer if foam between the centre cone and main cone improves sound, but seems to slow it down a bit...my wife luv's it

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back