Genelec Active Loudspeakers

HiFiAudioFan

Hello,

For almost 20 years i have been using a pair of Sansui S-1000U Floorstanding tower speakers & Bose AM-500 Acoustimass speakers on various amplifiers changed/upgraded over time, currently using a Marantz PM-7001 for the last 13 years. I am now seriously considering Genelec Active Loudspeakers after hearing them quite a few number of times. Everything about them has been a big plus to me, the only thing reigning me in is the price.
Is it a good time to move to active loudspeakers ? is it worth the investment? am considering it thinking about the pros of cons of buying a new amplifier matching them to my existing speakers or changing to other speakers, instead be done with all that and settle down with Genelec and not have to worry about finding right matches etc.
Any sort of advice is highly appreciated, thank you.

Hi,
Genelacs are very well regarded but you will still need a good preamp to run them and hence do budget for that as well. Unfortunately have never heard a well setup Genelac system so cannot comment on it

The Marantz , is a good amp and if you do have a budget constraint then getting speakers matching it might just be easier

Hi,
Genelacs are very well regarded but you will still need a good preamp to run them and hence do budget for that as well. Unfortunately have never heard a well setup Genelac system so cannot comment on it

The Marantz , is a good amp and if you do have a budget constraint then getting speakers matching it might just be easier
Thanks for your reply, The Marantz has indeed served me well for many years, it has pre outs so i was wondering if the same amplifier can be used with the Genelecs, so i don't have to invest on another preamp .
I am currently happy with my existing speakers (Sansui & Bose) , i liked the Mission LX-5 alot (also very budget friendly) but that is a last option if i shoot the Genelec idea down completely.

Yes. You can use Marantz PM7001 with any active speaker of your choice.
In fact, you can keep your old speakers connected to PM7001 too.
PM7001 is a simple, yet robust IA (analog input only) with enough power to host a variety of passive speakers.
And it has the typical Marantz sound signature; great mids/vocals, etc.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello,

For almost 20 years i have been using a pair of Sansui S-1000U Floorstanding tower speakers & Bose AM-500 Acoustimass speakers on various amplifiers changed/upgraded over time, currently using a Marantz PM-7001 for the last 13 years. I am now seriously considering Genelec Active Loudspeakers after hearing them quite a few number of times. Everything about them has been a big plus to me, the only thing reigning me in is the price.
Is it a good time to move to active loudspeakers ? is it worth the investment? am considering it thinking about the pros of cons of buying a new amplifier matching them to my existing speakers or changing to other speakers, instead be done with all that and settle down with Genelec and not have to worry about finding right matches etc.
Most well made active speakers have input control. So I think you can run them directly from CD Player or any source with line level output. If you still want to add preamp it better be well made very low noise.
regards

Hello,

The new Genelec 8000 series is extremely good but expensive. It comes with room correction etc so you can tune whichever way you like.
Its a VERY dynamic and well integrated sound. These two parameters will catch your attention immediately. If I started over they would be high on my list for sure. Alternatively the ATC actives are also very good but offer different benefits from the Genelec.

@vineetrad , if you don't mind, I would like to throw this question out in the public, as your answer might help other readers too.

One aspect that me and my friends agree about a lot of studio monitors is, because they are purpose built for studios, their dispersion characteristics are designed in a manner that, even a set of mid-field monitors
- have a narrow sweet spot
- can't fill a 12x14 room
- can't throw a large soundstage
when directly compared to a good set of hi-fi speakers. How do the Genelecs perform on those aspects, particularly compared to the Harbeth?

Please note that typically listening levels in a studio are higher than average home hifi listening levels. So recommended Pro audio manufacturer listening distances can be increased when considering home listening.

Generally, the smaller the Genelec speaker the less is the directivity and at least within a manufacturer product line the lower the spl. Larger 8x4x and above models will definitely work for non near field hifi listening.

Note that studio monitors is too general a term - for instance with Genelec, the 1237a has a minimum recommended distance of 3.5ft and an optimal distance upto 30ft. The 1237a has a minimum listening distance of 5ft. These are large studio monitors. The 8010 is 1/3rd the size of a shoebox. They are studio monitors too.

The 8341 I have is a special coaxial 3 way design and is also recommended upto 30ft. However at distances beyond 8-10 feet you will hear a lot more of the reflected vs direct sound especially in typical highly reflective home listening rooms.

Wrt power, the same 8341 has per speaker 250W+ 150W +150 W (three amps for the 3 way design per speaker). That should answer whether it can fill a large room ;)

Also keep in mind like active hifi designs like the LS50w performance is multifold better when the manufacturer perfectly pairs the right amp and there are inherent advantages that any true active speaker has over passive. Won't go into that since a simple Google will throw up a lot of info on this.

You can more details here: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

This link also has recommendations for speakers for different room volumes. My 8341 or 8040 are rated for 110db in a 85 metre cubed room volume.

Most pro manufacturers have similar detailed measurements, specs, etc to help you pick the right monitors.

Wrt soundstage, placement within room boundaries, room treatment/acoustics, and several variables play a part. All things being equal the Genelec create a more accurate stable stereo image, a clear precise soundstage and have tons more detail than my Harbeths.

On all technical fronts other tn the midrange pleasantness for casual listening the Genelecs handily beat the Harbeths for me.

Standard rider - your equipment chain, room, music, personal taste etc will tell you which is "better for you".

Obviously a speaker and brand trusted by major world class studios and artists across the world to produce accurate sound will not be lacking on performance :).

Whether that is pleasurable for you is highly subjective and I cannot comment. I highly recommend you audition.

PS: For my personal taste for home listening, I prefer an R2R or NOS dac and tube preamp with the Genelecs. I am well aware it adds some distortion and coloration but that is pleasurable for me. At work in a studio obviously these will never be part of the chain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
In between the source and the powered speakers , a passive preamplifier can be inserted. That will be nice.

Yes. You can use Marantz PM7001 with any active speaker of your choice.
In fact, you can keep your old speakers connected to PM7001 too.
PM7001 is a simple, yet robust IA (analog input only) with enough power to host a variety of passive speakers.
And it has the typical Marantz sound signature; great mids/vocals, etc.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for your reply ,input and suggestion. Indeed the Marantz PM7001 is a very good Integrated Amplifier and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Thanks again.
Most well made active speakers have input control. So I think you can run them directly from CD Player or any source with line level output. If you still want to add preamp it better be well made very low noise.
regards
Thank you very much for your input and suggestion, i plan to use my CD & Turntable as sources and intend to use the Marantz PM7001 as a preamp. Thanks again
The new Genelec 8000 series is extremely good but expensive. It comes with room correction etc so you can tune whichever way you like.
Its a VERY dynamic and well integrated sound. These two parameters will catch your attention immediately. If I started over they would be high on my list for sure. Alternatively the ATC actives are also very good but offer different benefits from the Genelec.
Thank you for your feedback and inputs. I have heard only the Genelec G 1,2 & 3 and to be honest very impressed even without the subwoofer. As mentioned earlier the only thing reigning me in has been the price/budget. Thanks again.
I have the Genelec 8040, 8331 and 8341 at home and in my work environment. I also have a pair of Harbeths as a second home system.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions.
Thank you very much for your reply and i will surely contact you for more advice if i decide to take the plunge. thanks again.
In between the source and the powered speakers , a passive preamplifier can be inserted. That will be nice.
Thanks for your reply and suggestion, i intend do that if i decide on going for the Genelecs, Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does a pair of the Genelec 8341A set you back, in India? Are the prices commensurate with International prices or are they overpriced like some brands?

Greetings,

Just realized I had posted this thread and wanted to bring it to its logical conclusion, I am a proud owner of the Genelec G4's (90w+90w=180w per channel) since January and honestly this has been one of the best investments of my life.
Thanks to everyone here who gave me feedback and inputs. Much appreciated and gratitude.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greetings,

Just realized I had posted this thread and wanted to bring it to its logical conclusion, I am a proud owner of the Genelec G4's (90w+90w=180w per channel) since January and honestly this has been one of the best investments of my life.
Thanks to everyone here who gave me feedback and inputs. Much appreciated and gratitude.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Genelec club :)

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the G4s.

I have found that Genelec (and other top tier pro audio brands like Barefoot, PSI, ATC) are superior to many many high end audiophile brands (certainly many times over if you compare at the same price point). Once you account for an expensive amp and the advantages that active brings vs passive, the ROI is simply far better and sound quality isn't surpassed until you spend a LOT more money on conventional audiophile equipment.

I can personally attest to this as I have done both lol.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Cheers!
Can you please share how much these costed you?

Welcome to the Genelec club :)

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the G4s.

I have found that Genelec (and other top tier pro audio brands like Barefoot, PSI, ATC) are superior to many many high end audiophile brands (certainly many times over if you compare at the same price point). Once you account for an expensive amp and the advantages that active brings vs passive, the ROI is simply far better and sound quality isn't surpassed until you spend a LOT more money on conventional audiophile equipment.

I can personally attest to this as I have done both lol.

Thank you very much and indeed it feels great to be part of the exclusive Genelec user community.

I completely agree with what you said,even though initially they sound expensive, I just felt if we do the calculation it in fact works out way cheaper than trying to buy and match good amplifiers to passive speakers. I remember getting good advice from you earlier and I appreciate that alot.

I just wanted to get out of the constant battle of "getting the perfect match" and like i said earlier the Genelecs have been one of the best decisions of my life.

Thanks again and best regards.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back