Go to favourite Scenes on Netflix/Prime to test the Subwoofer

For me it's Life of Pi, ship sinking scene, it's full system workout with water splashing, huge waves crashing, sound of metal , animals screaming and one particular scene where water comes splashing from the front, can really feel it.

Second is Avatar, basically entire movie sound track is a treat. The final fight is a great track to test the system.

MaSh

Thank you everyone! please keep coming!
Anyone able to achieve a proper chest hitting bass on any of streaming services?

Sometime back in amazon Prime, animation movie 9 was available.
This movie is a hidden gem for audio presentation.
Even though it is an animation, the sound mix is nothing short of awesome. Bass is strong throughout the movie. I was pleasantly surprised watching this movie. Whole movie has something to offer.

I felt huge difference in bass between streaming movies and BR rips.
Opening scenes of Blade runner 2049, and climax too.
Den of thieves starting 10 min gun shots hit in out chest.
John Wick chapter 2 has chest hitting gun shots. (sorry cant remember times, but spread across the movie)
Fury - all tank firing scenes
Aquaman - many scenes .. (very sorry can't check the times)
War of the worlds starting 15-20 min
Bumblebee - starting 10-20 min approx
Oblivion many scenes.
Hunter Killer - many low end rumble scenes.

Last edited:
I felt huge difference in bass between streaming movies and BR rips.
Opening scenes of Blade runner 2049, and climax too.
Den of thieves starting 10 min gun shots hit in out chest.
John Wick chapter 2 has chest hitting gun shots. (sorry cant remember times, but spread across the movie)
Fury - all tank firing scenes
Aquaman - many scenes .. (very sorry can't check the times)
War of the worlds starting 15-20 min
Unfortunately, yes there is a huge difference in db one can hit on low frequencies using a blu ray v/s streaming online but practically for someone like me who consume 5 movies a week, picking up blu ray is not possible. Its a compromise :)

This is why I like to evaluate my setup with content that I consume often.

Did you actually mean your 12" DIY sub gives a chest hitting impact?

Ofcourse yes. You can feel the gunshots in the chest.
:( not even ones I have been able to achieve that kind of tactile response, how close do you reach when you watch same chest hitting content on Netflix for example? Any such comparison would be great!!

Unfortunately, yes there is a huge difference in db one can hit on low frequencies using a blu ray v/s streaming online but practically for someone like me who consume 5 movies a week, picking up blu ray is not possible. Its a compromise :)

This is why I like to evaluate my setup with content that I consume often.

Did you actually mean your 12" DIY sub gives a chest hitting impact?

Might be noob questions :

From where are you streaming Netflix - TV \ media streamer like Firestick ?

How are you transferring the sound from TV \ streamer to your AV receiver ? Digital coaxial ?

Anyone able to achieve a proper chest hitting bass on any of streaming services?

I see you have a minidsp 2*4 HD. Have you tried BEQ?

House with a clock in its wall is currently available in Netflix. Good family movie with good audio presentation.
The very beginning of movie, when clock start ticking, you should hear disticnt clock ticking all around listening space.

There is one definite test for subwoofer performance. I am not sure if " Master and Commander" is available on Netflix. If it's not, buy it on BR. You'll know if you have a good setup.

I don't know if it's in Netflix or Not. Lord of the ring part 1 opening scene, awesome bass drop!!
This one:
(at 3.45)
One of my favorite bass sweep scenes, the fall of the ring from Sauron's finger and the Wipe of Sauron's army...

The bass sweep should start from the front and sweep past your face like a strong wind. :)

And The Greatest showman is one of my very favorite test discs...

Right from the start, the first track, the foot taps from 'The Greatest Showman' should be thunderous and in all knife throwing, and fire breathing, the system shouldn't swallow the vocals of the song including Jackman's breathe, catch of the sceptre ans so on... :)

But, I believe the best recorded disc should be Mad Max Fury Road..Not just in bass department.Not just one scene.. I think the sound of the whole film is phenomenal.

And in Deadpool, especially in the begining jumping on the sunroof from the bridge and during just before climax, the 'superhero landing' by Angel... Whoah...

Maybe its my system, but in any of the streaming service - Netflix/Prime/... I didnt get any chest thumping bass unlike in the BD or content in HDD.
Not sure if the Atmos content is better, as all the streaming services seem to compress the sound significantly.

While majority of the better sounding movies are from Hollywood, I've found two Indian movies producing very good sound effects - specially the action and song sequences. Baahubali and Saaho.

Apart from the movies mentioned above, the opening 15-20 minutes of the movie Overlord can justify your investment! So does the scene in Interstellar(I'm not sure if Interstellar is available in Netflix India) when the big waves crashes on the space module. And the kitchen fight scene in Raid 2 which will test the entire system.

:( not even ones I have been able to achieve that kind of tactile response, how close do you reach when you watch same chest hitting content on Netflix for example? Any such comparison would be great!!
svs generally shows its strength in low end rumble rather than tight and punchy bass. (with my little personal experience at a friends place)
However, better not to change the sub before making sure we have done everything possible in terms of placement and calibration.
Many youtube videos available for this, and Minidsp can do wonders too !!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back