Good News for Malayalam LP Lovers.

Trust me on this. I got this copy and gave it off for free. Sound quality is pathetic. I think they remastered it from either a cd or cassette.

Thanks for that info or would have run across to find a copy.

Do any one know list of best recordings in malayalam till date.

Kalapani was always a good one.

Vinyl, only old film songs are available for malayalam. I had the cd of Kalapani. It was good. I don't know about its vinyl. I got into vinyl only to listen to old songs. The best vinyl I had of malayalam songs was a disc of the movie Devadasi. The recording quality as well as the songs were great. The remaining malayalam I had was all EP, the small discs. Now I have discarded it all. I don't listen to vinyl anymore. They are for old retired people, who have all the time in the world to maintain it. Malayalam audio cds which came out in the early 90s were all good. Thenmaavin Kombath, Pavithram, Megham etc.
Yes. Malayalam movies had excellent quality recording compared to 90s Hindi.

Kaliyattam, Desadanam, Agnisakshi, Ee puzhayum kadannu, Devadoothan, Chandralekha, Thalolam, Swathi Thirunal, Rajavinte Makan, Sthithi, Summer in bethlehem, His highness abdulla, Pranayavarnangal,Devaragam.....are some that I remember. There are several more.

The last man standing in Trivandrum "Kolam's music world" is now a gift shop, not much of music left. ACDs they have are from unsold stock and mostly compilation versions pressed in 2008-2013 from JS, Satyam. Tharangini releases 80-90s movie music.

If you don't mind the Youtube compression, 'Mastering project' on YouTube keeps adding to their playlist of older songs. Some of them are well cleaned of noise and distortion. He doesn't release uncompressed, must be copyright issues (not sure).

Hi All,

I was reading this thread by around 4pm, rushed out and went for purchasing this LP. Went to almost 7 shops here in Trivandrum, all sold out!!! Next lot expected by Tuesday only...Last try, one more musical shop, and there it is - a last piece...Bought it. Wow!! It was a great feeling to buy off the counter a brand new Malayalam LP.Not mentioned anywhere the place of manufacture.

Played A side as of now, excellent quality.(who wants to buy a CD?????).Perhaps audio experts in this forum will comment more on the audio quality here.

Song list includes -

SIDE A

1. KAATHIRIPOO KANMANI ( Yesudas & Chitra) - Krishnagudiyil oru Pranayakalathu.
2. KARALE NIN ( Yesudas & Preetha) _ Devadoothan.
3. PACHAPPANAM THATHE (Yesudas) - Nottam
4. ETHO NIDRA THAN ( Yesudas) - Ayaal Kadha Ezhuthukayannu.

SIDE B

1. PINNEYUM PINNEYUM ( Yesudas) - Krishnagudiyil oru
2. ENTE ELLAMELLAM ( Yesudas & Sujatha) - Meesa Madhavan
3. MANASSE PAADOO NEE ( Yesudas) - Paranjutheeratha Visheshangal
4. PARAYATHE ARIYAATHE ( Yesudas & Chitra) - Udayananu Thaaram.

For All LP lovers over there, its a great buy.

Thanks
How does this matter if they had the masters digitally done? At the time, when these songs were released, every studio was running all digital mastering if I am not wrong.

How does this matter if they had the masters digitally done? At the time, when these songs were released, every studio was running all digital mastering if I am not wrong.
It’s possible for a vinyl to sound better than CD even if pressed from a digital master. Especially if the CD pressing had low dynamic range. I don’t know about this record, normally Malayalam songs in the 90s and early 2000 had good dynamic range on CD and well recorded too. So this vinyl release might be pointless.

It’s possible for a vinyl to sound better than CD even if pressed from a digital master. Especially if the CD pressing had low dynamic range. I don’t know about this record, normally Malayalam songs in the 90s and early 2000 had good dynamic range on CD and well recorded too. So this vinyl release might be pointless.
That's really not sensible to me. The best u can get out of a digital master is itself. On mastering to a vinyl it can get worse, or stay the same at the best. Again, if you feel like the vinyl sounds more dynamic, it means your turntable is better in resolving dynamics than your CD player or some distortion got into the vinyl conversion which may sound like more dynamics.

That's really not sensible to me. The best u can get out of a digital master is itself. On mastering to a vinyl it can get worse, or stay the same at the best. Again, if you feel like the vinyl sounds more dynamic, it means your turntable is better in resolving dynamics than your CD player or some distortion got into the vinyl conversion which may sound like more dynamics.
Sorry I missed one part u r right if the originally released CD was a substandard version of the digital master :) so it's possible.

Yes, I was referring to a poor quality cd release :)
[/QUOTE

I have the original audio CD of 'Amen' which did not sound great. Your logic of poor CD would have been the reason for that. Normally prasanth pillais compositions were very audiophilic. But this was a bad exception.

But the recording quality was simply miserable
Many new records post 2000 are mastered with maximum loudness and low DR for listening on portable players in noisy environments. Some even sound distorted when played on good equipment. Record labels are least interested. For them music is a commodity not a piece of art.
With space becoming a premium in cities and lots of new distractions for the youth, music is a background activity and this trend is here to stay.

This can happen. Some releases are of bad quality. Its just not in India. I remember purchasing a Madonna album, 'Ray of Light'. Beautiful songs. But the recording quality was simply miserable. I thought maybe it was a manufacturing defect and tried another one, this time from amazon online. It was no different. I was really disappointed, especially this album of Madonna was different from the rest of her work. It had a new style of orchestration which would have been a delight to listen to if the recording was good.
Ray of Light CD is from Maverick label? I have it , but its have pretty good recording quality...

The last man standing in Trivandrum "Kolam's music world" is now a gift shop, not much of music left. ACDs they have are from unsold stock and mostly compilation versions pressed in 2008-2013 from JS, Satyam. Tharangini releases 80-90s movie music.

If you don't mind the Youtube compression, 'Mastering project' on YouTube keeps adding to their playlist of older songs. Some of them are well cleaned of noise and distortion. He doesn't release uncompressed, must be copyright issues (not sure).

Thanks for that link - some of the songs sound good, but some of them seem to have some sort of exciter effect applied on top of the original music which is a bit of a turn off. I am all for restoring, but draw the line at adding stuff that wasn't there.

Kolam's etc are sad. I remember hunting around thampanoor in the late 90's and early 00's and being spoilt by the choice of stuff to buy with my limited school and college cash. Now that I can afford them, you can't find anything. I couldnt even find a Premam CD - which is a very recent release!

This can happen. Some releases are of bad quality. Its just not in India. I remember purchasing a Madonna album, 'Ray of Light'. Beautiful songs. But the recording quality was simply miserable. I thought maybe it was a manufacturing defect and tried another one, this time from amazon online. It was no different. I was really disappointed, especially this album of Madonna was different from the rest of her work. It had a new style of orchestration which would have been a delight to listen to if the recording was good.
Ok. I’ve not heard the album. Amongst new movies, I liked “Njaan” composed by Bijibal, a well recorded and beautiful songs too.
I meant the amen movie (fahad fahsil) . It's bit of a bit cult composition.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back