Good News for Malayalam LP Lovers.

Thanks for that link - some of the songs sound good, but some of them seem to have some sort of exciter effect applied on top of the original music which is a bit of a turn off. I am all for restoring, but draw the line at adding stuff that wasn't there.

Kolam's etc are sad. I remember hunting around thampanoor in the late 90's and early 00's and being spoilt by the choice of stuff to buy with my limited school and college cash. Now that I can afford them, you can't find anything. I couldnt even find a Premam CD - which is a very recent release!
Yes, some of them are good.

This is the case with me too, in those days, all pocket money used to go to book & cassette shops, with the "to buy when more money available" list always expanding:) . I think by the time I can afford the high end stuff about which members are drooling about here, my hearing would be gone:D

Can I have a copy? :D
I have downloaded it from Torrents. ;) Madonnas studio album discography 1985-2015. Ray of light in that compilation sounds better than the real CD i bought. I had most of Madonnas orginal CDs but, then the rest were hard to source. Ray of lights recording is good but not on every version they released.

Dear All,

A mail received from Mr. AG Premachandran of Satyam Audios is appended below.

Quote:

Thanks for your query, We are pleased to know that, you are interested to buy one LPR. The MRP is Rs.650/- If you may provide the full address with telephone number along with Payment to us, we will be sending the same to by courier.

This is for your kind information
thanks & Regards
A.G. PREMACHDNRAN
Satyam Audios, XL/1260 B -Drowpathi,
T D Road, Ernakulam , Cochin - 682 011.
Ph : 0484 236 2242 / 406 6622.

Unquote

Regards,
Suresh

Thanks Suresh. It is indeed good news.
Mohan

I meant the amen movie (fahad fahsil) . It's bit of a bit cult composition.
I listened to Amen CD once again yesterday, it is good recording nothing to complain about. Barring few, most of the Malayalam audio CDs are excellent quality mainly due to the recording quality of master tape is good. Sargam speed audios, Johny Sagariga, Tharangini (BMG), Sound of Arts, Thomson, Pyramid, Satyam etc released CDs titles are really good in quality. Few CD images for reference [Not just the songs the quality of these CDs are also too good, a treat to listen]:

Attachments

• Kaalapani (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38103] (1999 02).jpg
    Kaalapani (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38103] (1999 02).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Manjeeradhwani (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38104] (1999 02).jpg
    Manjeeradhwani (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38104] (1999 02).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
  • My Dear Kuttichathan (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38105] (1999 02).jpg
    My Dear Kuttichathan (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38105] (1999 02).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Season (Crescendo) [000MAFIL 062] (2002 07).jpg
    Season (Crescendo) [000MAFIL 062] (2002 07).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 17
  • Njan Gandharvan (BMG Crescendo) [CDTMAFIL 2038].jpg
    Njan Gandharvan (BMG Crescendo) [CDTMAFIL 2038].jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Manichitrathazhu (Pyramid) [PYR 8398].jpg
    Manichitrathazhu (Pyramid) [PYR 8398].jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Aniyathipravu (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 970801].jpg
    Aniyathipravu (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 970801].jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Harikrishnans (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38024] (1998 09).jpg
    Harikrishnans (Johny Sagariga) [JS 38024] (1998 09).jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Kaathodu Kaathoram (Sound of Arts) [11201 10126].jpg
    Kaathodu Kaathoram (Sound of Arts) [11201 10126].jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Aaram Thamburan (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 971106].jpg
    Aaram Thamburan (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 971106].jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
  • His Highness Abdullah (BMG Crescendo) [CDTMAFIL 2201].jpg
    His Highness Abdullah (BMG Crescendo) [CDTMAFIL 2201].jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Lalsalaam (BMG Crescendo).jpg
    Lalsalaam (BMG Crescendo).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 13
  • Thattathin Marayathu (Satyam Audios) [SA 1206469] (2012 06).jpg
    Thattathin Marayathu (Satyam Audios) [SA 1206469] (2012 06).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Premam (Muzik 247) [MACD 0023] (2015 06).jpg
    Premam (Muzik 247) [MACD 0023] (2015 06).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Summer in Bethlehem (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 981214] (1998 12).jpg
    Summer in Bethlehem (Sargam Speed Audios) [CDSAF 981214] (1998 12).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Amen (Muzik 247) [MACD 0009] (2013 03).jpg
    Amen (Muzik 247) [MACD 0009] (2013 03).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 13
I listened to Amen CD once again yesterday, it is good recording nothing to complain about. Barring few, most of the Malayalam audio CDs are excellent quality mainly due to the recording quality of master tape is good. Sargam speed audios, Johny Sagariga, Tharangini (BMG), Sound of Arts, Thomson, Pyramid, Satyam etc released CDs titles are really good in quality. Few CD images for reference [Not just the songs the quality of these CDs are also too good, a treat to listen]:
The Amen disc which is shown up here is the same one I have. To me its not at all dynamic. Sounds like a mp3. Utter waste compared to what you have listed here. i have some of the cds u have listed here. They are all far better to my ears. Amen's problem to me, is every instrument is equally loud in the mix, and since most songs had lot of percusssion going, its a total chaos. And if you listen a little loud, its good enough to give u a headache. Its not the quality of the cd, but whoever mixed the songs , set every thing too high, The composition was cult, new and had lot of instruments which could have been much better mixed. If you listen to Prasanth pillai's city of god, due to the dynamic nature of the mix, even MP3 is very dynamic. To say, even the newer Angamali diaries from the same music director has a more dynamic mix. I did not mean CD has any distortion by any means. Only meant, it sounds like modern day pop.

Out of curiosity, does MP3 compression reduce dynamic range of the recording? I was under the impression that only data gets compressed, not dynamic range.
Mp3 compression is based on removing actual sound in the mix which does not matter to the ear based on models resulted from psycho acoustic studies. Masking happens in temporal and frequency domains in real world with out hearing. Also with frequencies quite near to each other, loudness of one freq decides whether we will be able to hear the other sound or not. For example you and your friend has voice in the same freq bin. (Say 500hz to 3khz) but with different spectral envelope. If you are whispering and your friend is yelling, a 3rd person hears only yelling. There are several aspects like this which goes to coding speech and music, and hence different codecs. Yes, they explicitly remove the bits which they think doesnt matter. It's not like a zip file compression, but don't worry they are right in most caseswith newer aac codecs

Mp3 compression is based on removing actual sound in the mix which does not matter to the ear based on models resulted from psycho acoustic studies. Masking happens in temporal and frequency domains in real world with out hearing. Also with frequencies quite near to each other, loudness of one freq decides whether we will be able to hear the other sound or not. For example you and your friend has voice in the same freq bin. (Say 500hz to 3khz) but with different spectral envelope. If you are whispering and your friend is yelling, a 3rd person hears only yelling. There are several aspects like this which goes to coding speech and music, and hence different codecs. Yes, they explicitly remove the bits which they think doesnt matter. It's not like a zip file compression, but don't worry they are right in most caseswith newer aac codecs
Thanks for the info. That's what I too understood from MP3 compression. Say we use a better codec like AAC/OGG at 320kbps, will it have lesser dynamic range compared to the source file (16bit/44.1khZ 1411kbps WAV)?

The Amen disc which is shown up here is the same one I have. To me its not at all dynamic. Sounds like a mp3. Utter waste compared to what you have listed here. i have some of the cds u have listed here. They are all far better to my ears. Amen's problem to me, is every instrument is equally loud in the mix, and since most songs had lot of percusssion going, its a total chaos. And if you listen a little loud, its good enough to give u a headache. Its not the quality of the cd, but whoever mixed the songs , set every thing too high, The composition was cult, new and had lot of instruments which could have been much better mixed. If you listen to Prasanth pillai's city of god, due to the dynamic nature of the mix, even MP3 is very dynamic. To say, even the newer Angamali diaries from the same music director has a more dynamic mix. I did not mean CD has any distortion by any means. Only meant, it sounds like modern day pop.
It didn't sound harsh to me at all. May be my listening volume level is too low.

Thanks for that link - some of the songs sound good, but some of them seem to have some sort of exciter effect applied on top of the original music which is a bit of a turn off. I am all for restoring, but draw the line at adding stuff that wasn't there.

Kolam's etc are sad. I remember hunting around thampanoor in the late 90's and early 00's and being spoilt by the choice of stuff to buy with my limited school and college cash. Now that I can afford them, you can't find anything. I couldnt even find a Premam CD - which is a very recent release!
Check this track out. Mastering project uploaded recently, from Kilukkam. It sounds as good as the original cassette.

How about Thirakadha - I found it to have good recording..

Ivan Megharoopan
Ok. Thanks. Will check them out. Of the recent releases (which I’ve heard), I found these to be good compositions and well recorded:
Nadan, Arike - Ouseppachan,
Njaan - Bijibal
Amy - M.Jayachandran/Bijibal

I know this is a VERY OLD THREAD, yet do any of you know if Malayalam LPs are available anywhere? Am also open to group buy if there is some LP collector wanting to dispose off their stock.
Thanks in advance

Just recently got Malayalam 3 EPs and 4 old Hindi Film EPs.

Apparently through an acquaintance of mine, there seem to be a mix of 50 odd Malayalam/Tamil EPs with a friend of his. Trying to see if it's possible to pick it up.
Hi
Snappysam
Which EPS ( Hindi movies) have you got? Have you started listening to those? Try to collect the others as early as possible because old vinyls are more beautiful than the recent released ones.
Cheers
Bhaskar

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back