Got myself a WDTV Live! Finally!

frnd08

Bought WD TV Live today. Was a sort of gift on my b'day :D Got it for real cheap at 7K including taxes etc. with warranty from Velocity, Kolkata.

Although the power plugs were a bit confusing, got it to work finally. I realise that there is an update waiting. Is it necessary to go for the update?

And one more question. I have a BSNL modem which is wi fi enabled. How do I configure it to watch youtube videos on wd tv?

Last edited:
Congrats!. You will need a usb wireless adapter to connect to the net thru ur bsnl modem....go to network settings and key in the ip and dns info asked and you are good to surf you tube!

unplugged my bsnl modem and connected it to wd tv. updated to the latest version. :)

now for a wireless usb adapter.

Sorry, forgot to add that you can connect to the modem using a lan cord also USB wireless adaptor is reqd only when you need wireless access...

Bought WD TV Live today. Was a sort of gift on my b'day :D Got it for real cheap at 7K including taxes etc. with warranty from Velocity, Kolkata.

Although the power plugs were a bit confusing, got it to work finally. I realsie that there is an update waiting. Is it necessary to go for the update?

And one more question. I have a BSNL modem which is wi fi enabled. How do I configure it to watch youtube videos on wd tv?

Nice. Dont use wifi, u'll get pretty bad network streaming. LAN is the best, if you can get the wiring done.
The new firmware supports more formats, as well as dvd menus, and fixes many bugs.
Enjoy the WD TV!!!

Nice. Dont use wifi, u'll get pretty bad network streaming. LAN is the best, if you can get the wiring done.
The new firmware supports more formats, as well as dvd menus, and fixes many bugs.
Enjoy the WD TV!!!

btw the Velocity idea was from you. so thanks :)

also one more thing. how did u do the alternate wiring?

my modem is connected to my phone line and to the rear of the cabinet (u know, the standard bsnl connection). goes without saying that the bsnl guys wont help me :p

Your Wifi Router should also have a RJ45 LAN port. Use a LAN wire and connect the WD to your WIFI Router.

the attached image is the pic of the rear of my router/modem. the LAN wire u see there is connected to my computer cabinet. also i have 3 extra LAN ports. so, all i need to do now is get hold of a LAN wire and connect one end of it to the WDTV and the other end to the router/modem. right?

Attachments

• 18112010048.jpg
    18112010048.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 74
Exactly, get a normal LAN Wire, and connect one end to WD TV, and the other to the 'LAN2', 'LAN3' or 'LAN4'.
You should be able to access files in your PC, and browse 'Youtube', Live 365 n Mediafly.
Also, if you use windows 7, you can right click on any file, and use the new 'Play to" function, and the file plays flawlessly to WD TV Live!

Exactly, get a normal LAN Wire, and connect one end to WD TV, and the other to the 'LAN2', 'LAN3' or 'LAN4'.
You should be able to access files in your PC, and browse 'Youtube', Live 365 n Mediafly.
Also, if you use windows 7, you can right click on any file, and use the new 'Play to" function, and the file plays flawlessly to WD TV Live!

awesome! thanks a ton. btw are these LAN wires available in chandni market? one more thing, does the length of the LAN wire affect connectivity? coz i would need a looong wire maybe 3-4 metres or maybe more to connect modem to wd tv.

I dont think there is much loss of signal due to the length, as I myself use a long one (around 20-25 ft long).
The LAN wires are easily available in the market, I got mine for free from my local broadband guy.

@rahuljonline

okay finally got my LAN cable from chandni. 15 bucks a metre + 40 bucks for the terminals and service charge. and now youtube and others are working fine! thanks a ton mate :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back