GR-Research X-LS Encore - Build

bijinmb

Hi Folks,

The X-LS Encore came about as a direct result of the success of the X-LS Classic design. As the X-LS Classic was setting new performance standards for a mini-monitor in a budget price point, and winning industry awards with every review, it was also rivaling and bettering many speakers in much higher price points.

The strength of the X-LS Classic was its woofer. The M-165 had a very smooth and accurate response that needed very few components in the signal path to control it. And it had a beautiful mid-range and clean bass response. The crossover parts used were also very good. The tweeter, while very good, was not one of the worlds best dome tweeters. So an obvious choice was to upgrade the tweeter. Looking at the best available dome tweeters, the Peerless T26SG was selected for its low Fs, high sensitivity, well damped rear chamber, high quality materials, high quality workmanship, and a really smooth response. Resolution levels with this tweeter are very high as well and one of the best the industry has to offer in this regard.

More information regarding this DIY Kit can be found over here:

URL: X-LS Encore kit

Here I am posting some of its work in progress shots.

Grill Frame:

Last edited:
Looks great!
The joins looks perfect too.

bijinmb,
If I recollect , in some of the post, Danny had suggested not to have the Grill frame( if too thick ) to close to the tweeter .Should not matter when removed during listening sessions.

@sbg
It's risky to keep the BS bare open since that may accidentally damage cone or dust cap hence went for Grills.

Nice build:clapping:

Where did you procure the kit from? Or is it that you are doing for someone who got them in the group buy which was done sometime back?

Nice build! I remember Danny mentioned that these grill inner sides towards driver must not have edges. Please make sure that. Anyway these are best bookshelf speakers I came across.

Nice build! I remember Danny mentioned that these grill inner sides towards driver must not have edges. Please make sure that. Anyway these are best bookshelf speakers I came across.

Omishra ji,

I wasn't aware of that treatment for the grill. Anyway not too late for doing that.

Will be incorporating that modding and lucky that I posted the work before fully
completing or else it would be bit difficult to accommodate that suggestion.

Thanks sbg and mishra ji for pointing this out.

Congratulations! Very nice build. Do you know if FM Sivakuru got this as part of the Epic GR research group buy or separately?

Best,
APK

Congratulations! Very nice build. Do you know if FM Sivakuru got this as part of the Epic GR research group buy or separately?

Best,
APK

Yes APK, I am part of the group buy. It was collecting dust at home until Bibin thankfully came along and agreed to help me with the cabinet build. Hoping to receive it soon and see if they are worth all the waiting :)

Yes APK, I am part of the group buy. It was collecting dust at home until Bibin thankfully came along and agreed to help me with the cabinet build. Hoping to receive it soon and see if they are worth all the waiting :)

I am sure they will be. The X-LS Encore is very good.

Omishra ji,

I wasn't aware of that treatment for the grill. Anyway not too late for doing that.

Will be incorporating that modding and lucky that I posted the work before fully
completing or else it would be bit difficult to accommodate that suggestion.

Thanks sbg and mishra ji for pointing this out.

Please see here. It was mentioned by Danny himself when I was planning grill made from some MDF like material. Still pending that grill though I already got cloth and pegs from USA.

IIRC you were to make grill frames using thin conduit pipes which I remember to have suggested somewhere. What is the update?

Yes, I am still exploring material. Last time I visited one audiophile friend. He has got covers stitched for bookshelf speakers and he removes it while listening otherwise keep it covered. I liked that too. For grill round pipe or sq conduit is one probable material.

amazing craftsmanship, especially that grill.

can you share which tools you use. will help other DIYers (including (Especially) me)

also some tips on finishing / painting lacquering speakers, in india, using available in india stuff, would be more than welcome.

:)

amazing craftsmanship, especially that grill.

can you share which tools you use. will help other DIYers (including (Especially) me)

also some tips on finishing / painting lacquering speakers, in india, using available in india stuff, would be more than welcome.

:)

Thanks kapvin.

That gill is done with CNC laser machine.

PU will be more durable than lacquering, but bit more costly.

Last edited:
Thanks kapvin.

That gill is done with CNC laser machine.

PU will be more durable than lacquering, but bit more costly.

a CNC lazer ?

MDF ? with the bevels ?

did you see the grill being done on a cnc lazer ?
please re confirm

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back