Great Tasting Vinyl

I actually do have one of the Stephane & Reinhardt collaborations on Vinyl:

DJango Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelly with The Quintet of the Hot Club of France
A glorious MONO recording in MINT condition (both Cover and Vinyl) from the late 40s/early 50s.

Great recording and superb music.

Here is a song from there:

YouTube - THE QUINTET OF THE HOT CLUB OF FRANCE Liza (All The Clouds'll Roll).wmv

I have two more solo Vinyls of Django! He's one of my fav's!

@Manav
You seem to have a foot in every camp and a finger in every pie.Good Show! :)

Thanx Ajay! I like all kinds of music.... Except rap/hip-hop/pop...
Oh ! me not a fan either. only like few songs, but what I think is it originated in ghettos of black communities and lyrics/music were outburst against racism, system and such things.

Even i do not like hip hop/rap. But there is a whole lot of people out there who like it and we need to respect that. While audiophiles keep taking digs at popular music one needs to remember it is this music which keeps the music companies alive and helps them release a lot of niche music which audiophiles crave for.

Oh ! me not a fan either. only like few songs, but what I think is it originated in ghettos of black communities and lyrics/music were outburst against racism, system and such things.

As long as ghetto music remains ghetto music,it may be interesting and creative.Unfortunately,as it wins more fans,it also wins the attention of the mainstream recording industry.And the whizkids there 'cleanse' the anger,squalor and smells of the ghetto out of the music.They also cleanse out everything that made the music exciting,original and relevant in the first place.What remains is one more version of mainstream noise.

Its Johnny Paycheck - Mr. Hag Told My Story and Johnny Cash - Johnny 99, this morning!

Hi Manav,

:thumbsup:

Johnny Cash's American Recordings(LP's) are available with Oceanic Sound and Vision
Pune.

Highly recomended,if you like "The man In Black ."

Regards
Rajiv

As long as ghetto music remains ghetto music,it may be interesting and creative.Unfortunately,as it wins more fans,it also wins the attention of the mainstream recording industry.And the whizkids there 'cleanse' the anger,squalor and smells of the ghetto out of the music.They also cleanse out everything that made the music exciting,original and relevant in the first place.What remains is one more version of mainstream noise.
Totally agree with you ajay. But one can always pick up the music one likes ignoring things which are beyond ones control.
Regards

Very few hiphop songs which I like. But they are not known for their lyrics :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ice cube: Check your self
Coolio : 1,2 3 sumin new
Snoop Doggy Dog : What's my name
Dr. Dre : Keep their heads ringing
Run DMC Aerosmith : Walk this way
Tag Team : Whoomp there it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIbHPs_M55Q
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music is in bone marrow of black people. Conga dance was inspired from congo people where black people were made slave and chained together by feet.
YouTube - Congo Crusade Line Dance - Regions Beyond & Bruce McDonald

Hi Manav,

:thumbsup:

Johnny Cash's American Recordings(LP's) are available with Oceanic Sound and Vision
Pune.

Highly recomended,if you like "The man In Black ."

Regards
Rajiv

I know bro, have my eye on them.... just lemme shift home base and then the LP's are mine. Personally, for me I DO NOT THINK THAT ELVIS WAS KING. For me it will always be Johnny Cash!

My knowledge of Afro-American popular music post 1980 is non existent.Does not go beyond a few tracks of Aretha Franklin and Mary Blige.But I believe that James Brown,Sly & The Family Stone,Aretha Franklin and Nina Simone are the foundations on which later generations of black musicians have tried to build their tower of song.
YouTube - Nina Simone - Ain't Got No...I've Got Life

what you say is absolutely correct ajay... but HIP-HOP and (C)Rap artists have their moments as well... some of the very old RUN DMC stuff was quite lyrically powerful, so was 2 Pac... and a few others whom I forget. But, yeah, overall, the genre is beset with mediocre hit making clones.

Rap/HIP HOP was originally a ghetto voice. a voice demanding change. A voice protesting. A voice that expressed itself as a whole counter-culture, a movement even... it was not just the songs. But, graffitti art, MC'ing, DJ'ing... The genre even has its own linguistics! A whole dictionary worth of slang.

What is interesting about the genre is how it all comes together. At least when it is done by the few artists who do it with a pure intent.

You'll hear songs about gang violence, and other social evils... these are voices that tried to shape, nay, have shaped the african-american community. So, while I don't personally like the genre, I do like some of what I hear. And respect it.

Here are a couple of examples:

1. Winning pride back in this one...

YouTube - RUN-DMC - It's Tricky

2. Here are the sounds of a revolution...

YouTube - Ghetto Gospel

It's not all bad, eh?

Wish I had some of this on Vinyl...

I know bro, have my eye on them.... just lemme shift home base and then the LP's are mine. Personally, for me I DO NOT THINK THAT ELVIS WAS KING. For me it will always be Johnny Cash!

But the king? The white king? For me it is Roy Orbinson. And the black king? Nat King Cole,Louis Armstrong,Ray Charles,Sam Cooke,James Brown,Marvin Gaye?
If I was forced to choose then probably Nat King Cole.

And the black king? Nat King Cole,Louis Armstrong,Ray Charles,Sam Cooke,James Brown,Marvin Gaye?
If I was forced to choose then probably Nat King Cole.

All those and no Stevie Wonder? Cooke, King et al may be better voices, but as a performer and songwriter few can compare to Stevie

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back